Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rib Pain

Options
  • 10-12-2016 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

Like the title says...I'm in pain. Been going on a couple of months now, but it's getting to the point where a wrong turn or moving too quickly will have me in tears.
    It's not constant, it comes and goes, and gets worse as the day goes on. It feels like I have a cracked rib, it's that sort of a pain.
    I got the gp to check it out, and there's nothing he could find wrong. Lungs are fine, there's no baby foot in there, no cracked ribs!
    Obviously not looking for medical advice, but has anyone experienced this and found a way to relieve it? (I'm 31wks)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Yes, on my first she used to park her butt under my ribs and as a result she actually changed the shape of the top part of my right ribcage.

It used to be agony, the only way to move her was to lie on my left side. Even when she wasn't under it, it hurt. The swimming pool was a great relief. As was resting my arms over my head.

The pressure from your tummy being bigger pushing on everything is what makes it sore. Nothing but giving birth will relieve it.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

cbyrd wrote: »
    Yes, on my first she used to park her butt under my ribs and as a result she actually changed the shape of the top part of my right ribcage.

It used to be agony, the only way to move her was to lie on my left side. Even when she wasn't under it, it hurt. The swimming pool was a great relief. As was resting my arms over my head.

The pressure from your tummy being bigger pushing on everything is what makes it sore. Nothing but giving birth will relieve it.. :(

That makes a lot of sense, I had suspected it's probably overall pressure alright. I never thought it might be a little bum either, but that could well be it too, as all kicks are on the other side so that would be right.
    Thanks for the advice, I'm off to lie spread eagled across the bed and see will she wriggle back out of there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

Is it on one or both sides? And which side?

fits wrote: »
    Is it on one or both sides? And which side?

Left side only, and pretty much right under my boob line. Not a bra issue, I investigated that too!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

s4uv3 wrote: »
    Left side only, and pretty much right under my boob line. Not a bra issue, I investigated that too!

Was just considering that it might be liver but wrong side for it. I had rib pain earlier in pregnancy as well when they were breech but it settled down again. I think my ribs actually widened out to accommodate the pregnancy. I'm much bigger in back size on bras now.

• Advertisement

fits wrote: »
    Was just considering that it might be liver but wrong side for it. I had rib pain earlier in pregnancy as well when they were breech but it settled down again. I think my ribs actually widened out to accommodate the pregnancy. I'm much bigger in back size on bras now.

Oh yeah, I had full bloods done only two weeks ago, so even if it was liver they would probably have picked up on it. I'll mention it at next midwife clinic and see what they say. I'm wearing a 40in, as well as a bra extender these days, where I was a 36 before pregnancy :eek: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I'm getting some rib pain too, but yours sounds worse. A lot of the time it's because the baby's bum is in my rib!

There's also the fact that a lot of women's ribcages actually widen in pregnancy. I wonder could that be part of it too? Everything stretching?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It could be so many things. Might not even be pregnancy related. I had intermittent rib pain, and some shoulder aches that i put down to being pregnant. Both ended up being referred pain from a gallstone. Only figured it out about a year after the baby had been born when it still hadn't gone away and there were episodes of pain that were so bad I couldn't stand or speak.

They found it with an ultrasound i think (it's years ago, don't trust my memory on that)

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ally_pally

I've been having rib pain on and off for a few months now (currently 30 weeks). It started off as a sort of dull ache around my rib cage that would happen if I was slouched on the sofa for the evening, or just had bad posture. But for the last 2-3 weeks, I've been having really bad pain when I wake up. I'll be fairly comfortable in bed, I'll wake up to go to the bathroom or just turn over in bed and it feels like the worst kind of stabbing pain in my ribs. It only lasts a few seconds, but it's so so painful while it's there. I've been trying to sleep on my left based on all the advice I've been reading and hearing, but that definitely makes it worse. I find sleeping on my back or on my right side results in less rib pain so I've been going with that for the last few nights.

My GP changed at the start of my pregnancy and I really don't like my new one - asked her about this and she was worse than useless saying she had no idea what it could be. Gee, thanks. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Any chance that it could be round ligament pain? I've had quite a bit of it even though I'm only 15 weeks, and the worst is when I turn around in bed or try to sit up. It's a really nasty sharp pain that has me almost doubled over, but it goes after a minute. It's kind of under my ribs on both sides of my abdomen.

I'm planning to go to Pilates classes to strengthen my core muscles, which have always been weak - I'm hoping that will help.

• Advertisement

I don't think so A, I had that pain a few months ago and it doesn't feel like a ligament if that makes sense!
    I think I'll just suck it up and get on with it, the reward in 8 weeks time will be well worth it :)

I did a silly thing though and picked up a slight cold. Sneezing is no fun whatsoever with it!

Advertisement