Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WTF? Mad American pistol round

Options
  • 10-12-2016 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

Looks like some sort of fragmenting hollowpoint that bred with a coring dril bit...

The fact that its all full auto shooting and fast camera angles, suggests to me that the round isn't all that good at what it is meant to do...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Law-enforcement only. Designed, like the Glaser 'Safety slug' for use in confined spaces with no pass-through.

I bet it stings, though.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

tac foley wrote: »
    Law-enforcement only. Designed, like the Glaser 'Safety slug' for use in confined spaces with no pass-through.

I bet it stings, though.

tac

Google seems to suggest that it is for sale in the USA for civilians

Scary

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

As you say. It seems to have been intended for home defence and/or law enforcement. Mind you, at $4 per shot average it would be an expensive option for the home defender.

I have feeling that this thread is about to be closed, since it infracts the rules of this forum, so I'll now shut up.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Basically,lets try and make a pistol round sized shotgun shell.
    Glaser slugs.
    When I get to write my memoirs there will be a chapter involving an ex RUC man who owned a glock 17 ,my apartment in San Diego in the late 1980s an accidental discharge of said Glock and Glaser rounds into a plasterboard wall of my bathroom while I was using the toilet, and premonition about loading a Glock 17 mag the night before.:eek:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

As Tac pointed out this thread is on very shaky ground and a mis-step either direction and it'll go from discussing the round to outright RTKBA talk which is not allowed.

Thread carefully
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Cass wrote: »
    As Tac pointed out this thread is on very shaky ground and a mis-step either direction and it'll go from discussing the round to outright RTKBA talk which is not allowed.

Thread carefully

To be 100% clear; I found the round 'odd', and was looking to see if it actually did what it claimed.

The rationale for the round, I assume is parked as the round is on the market anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Not here though. It's an American concept for an American market. Where they have RTKBA. We don't have that luxury, nor the self defense rights they have. You cannot get an firearm or license on these reasons, its illegal.

As such they are prohibited topics.

However i don't want to close the thread unnecessarily if the conversation can steer away from these topics. Might be wishful thinking, as you said, given the nature of the round and it's reason for being, but hey.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

ezra_ wrote: »
    Google seems to suggest that it is for sale in the USA for civilians

Scary
    Not really, It is hype to sell another pistol round to the saturated market.They get fads of these.Winchester "Black Talon" was one I remember being the buzz,must have ammo over there in the early 90s. It pretty much did the same thing without the frag effect.The media got hold of it and made a big play on the name and that it was another so called "cop killer" round:rolleyes: and the anti gunners got it banned under the crime control act of 1994.Thus making it a collectible box of ammo.Yet Remington " Gold Dot" was the exact same ammo and ignored by the media frenzy..Because it had a less aggressive name. It will be the same with this stuff, aggressive looking bullet,and name,big media hype, sell it by the case load to the man on fear of it being banned,make money,get ammo banned by state or fed law,go and develop another round.Rinse,wash,repeat.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement