Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get separate IPs for each of my home PCs

Options
  • 10-12-2016 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

My problem is that for a variety of reasons I want each of my 3 home PCs to have its own separate public IP and not that of my router. What can I do to achieve this? I work in an IT environment so any technical jargon will not faze me. Have asked lots of folks at work what to do but no one can tell me if 1. Is it possible and 2. How to do it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

My problem is that for a variety of reasons I want each of my 3 home PCs to have its own separate public IP and not that of my router. What can I do to achieve this? I work in an IT environment so any technical jargon will not faze me. Have asked lots of folks at work what to do but no one can tell me if 1. Is it possible and 2. How to do it.

You need a provider who gives you more than one IP or else use a VPN to another network

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

You'll need 3 different lines from your internet provider if you want 3 public addresses. It's your internet provider that provides your router with your public address (a single address). Your router then merely provides network address translation to direct information between your private systems and the public internet.

Alternatively, you could use some sort of a VPN setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Id love to hear the variety of reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭irishgeo

You'll need 3 different lines from your internet provider if you want 3 public addresses. It's your internet provider that provides your router with your public address (a single address). Your router then merely provides network address translation to direct information between your private systems and the public internet.

Alternatively, you could use some sort of a VPN setup.

Get 3 mobile broadband dongles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭mayoman1973

Is it difficult to get set up with a VPN. Will each PC have to be connected to a different VPN to have different public facing IP s?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Roark

If you can, tell us what you need this for and you will get better answers.

Mobile dongles not an option as poor 3G coverage. Main reason is for load testing my app. I want requests coming from different IPs.

I also want to test blocking different IPs and that's hard to do if I only have the one IP.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I also want to test blocking different IPs and that's hard to do if I only have the one IP.

Your not going to get the same ip every time you you connect to a VPN.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ansible

Use AWS or Azure and spin up a few short-lived VMs to test your app

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

irishgeo wrote: »
    Your not going to get the same ip every time you you connect to a VPN.

That depends on the VPN

An ExpressVPN subscription will get you 3 different connections to different ips, it's simple to set up. Just google it and all the instructions you need are on the website. Someone else might come along with a better solution. You could also rent 3 virtual private servers (VPS) and use them to test.

Cloud based PCs not an option either. They were my first port of call until I found out to my dismay that if your app has any sort of coupling to your system DLLs that the virtualization layer AWS and Azure use is not up to scratch and you will be awoken to a world of pain when porting your app to a cloud based server.

If a VPN or a VPS isn't suitable, you can either request extra ip's from your broadband provider or rent out 3 dedicated servers.

Roark. Do ExpressVPN host their own cloud servers? Will take a closer look. This is the last part of our application solution where I expected problems but goes to show that for all the hype around the cloud that if you build a niche product that AWS or azure are not all they put them selves forward to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

What service were you trying to use on azure / aws? I create windows software that uses a lot of the windows API DLL's and can run successfully on mono via centos / ubuntu etc. In fact, a big portion of my userbase does it this way. I think you were just using the services incorrectly.

Also, I assume when you say app you mean a windows program, yes? Since you are using system api dlls.

I have no idea tbh. They have a 30 day trial offer so if it doesn't work out, nothing lost. You can also ask them questions via chat on their website.

Edit: The above was in reply to mayoman1973 obv.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

If Cloud VMs are absolutely out of the question (and I doubt that they really would be), if you need multiple public IPs, you are probably looking at a corporate link and will then have to justify your reasons for needing a /29 subnet of six addresses from the ever diminishing stock of IPv4 addresses.

But from what you have said, you should be able to set this up internally without the need for multiple public IPs. Plenty of throttling and spoof apps that should be able to do what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

can you not do this on your local network with private IPs, why do you need to load test over the internet?

Any decent ISP will be able to give you an IP subnet (it's definitely a service Eir offer), but you'll probably need a business account and it'll cost you. For 3 PCs you'll need a /29 which gives you 6 usable addresses (though it may also be possible to route 3 individual IPs). I'd be surprised if there isn't an easier, cheaper way to do it though.

EDIT: bajer101 got in before me - what he said ^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It sounds like much more the job for a load of lineode/OVH instances rather than rolling your own, but if you insist:

1. Pay your service provider to map a /29. That gives you 6 IPs.
    2. The first one, by convention, will be your router
    3. The rest you can allocate out to devices (buy a real router/firewall to allow this config)

If you want your devices("servers") to be part of your LAN as well as publicly addressable you'll want them to have two NICs each.

EDIT: Double beaten to it!

• Advertisement

Salamanca. I just have a simple speech synthesis app that uses windows SAPI. Code is mostly java with some native calls via JNI. All works fine on physical pc, not so on a virtual server. This is no trivial task fixing this bug on a server that is supposed to be "identical" That is for another day. For now just want to get round my single IP prob

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Salamanca. I just have a simple speech synthesis app that uses windows SAPI. Code is mostly java with some native calls via JNI. All works fine on physical pc, not so on a virtual server. This is no trivial task fixing this bug on a server that is supposed to be "identical" That is for another day. For now just want to get round my single IP prob

Why exactly can't you do this locally?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

Your modem needs to be put into bridged mode, and each computer would need to register on the provider's network. I doubt your provider would allow the multiple registrations if it's not a commercial account. They would charge for each IP, or maybe each account, if it was a service they offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

If you want to load test an app, hosted on an internet server, then it would likely be cheaper and more effective to rent a windows / linux instance or two on the cloud, that will have a couple of hundred megabits of network connectivity. Just remember to stop the virtual machine when not in use.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/virtual-machines/windows/

If you insist though...

The post saying that you need multiple lines mightn't be correct. The carrier might offer you an IP range. e.g 8.8.1.1 /29 which would mean that traffic to ips from 8.8.1.0 to 8.8.1.7 would go to you.
    Not all ips would be usable by you. Typically this offer is only available to business customers. There may be a premium charge for having them set as static IPs, that don't change each time the IP is renewed. (The normal is DHCP dynamic assigned IPs).

On your router you could then map public ips to private ips.

If you wanted to really get technical, you could try toying with ipv6 tunnel brokers instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

OP the problem here is likely your software, there is nothing wrong with VMs. Are you relying on some specific dedicated sound hardware? Then you need to get your custom server hosted somewhere.

Advertisement