Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is STCW 95 Basic Safety Training all that's needed to become ordinary seaman?

Options
  • 10-12-2016 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Is this definitely it, I just need the PSSR, Survival Training, PST, Elementary First Aid and Basic Marine Fire Fighting?

After this how do I maximise my chance of finding employment? Pay is unimportant but only languages I speak are English and maybe French so moving to Latvia probably isn't an option.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Abraham Leibowitz

to clarify I'm just looking for bare minimum deck job in merchant navy

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The best advice is to contact the maritime college in Cork. Viv Gough used to be the man for OS/AB requirements and jobs. Of which there must be slim to f all for Irish sailors now. Best bet is probably the navy for a jolly jack sailor. The north sea used to be a good place but that's been destroyed by low oil price, massive lay offs etc. Stena might still have a few ferries with Irish, but the rest have certainly dropped them for cheap labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Tabnabs wrote: »
    SNIP Best bet is probably the navy for a jolly jack sailor. SNIP

How would you rate the Royal Navy for a career at sea ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

See more of the world on a bigger variety of ships. You'd have to fit in with the culture though. The RFA might be worth looking at.

Advertisement