Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NARGC meat handling course

• 10-12-2016 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I had a meeting with a business owner today who wants me to supply him with wild game. As I will be officially entering meat into the food chain I have to undertake the wild game meat handling course offered by the NARGC. Has any of you done this course? I'm simply curious what it's like.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I've done it and it's similar in parts to the HCAP. When you apply for the course you will get a manual / text book. The course is primarily in two parts -1:self directed study, 2: then a one day class room / lecture format with two exams. It's fairly easy once you have the base knowledge. I enjoyed it and thaught it good, there's no practical unfortunately.

Just to clarify something even as a trained hunter you CANNOT sell game meat etc to either the public or a vendor. You are only registered to sell meat to a registered game dealer who in turn is registered to sell into the trade etc. So unless your potential partner is a registered game dealer your dancing outside of the law.
    Go onto the Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI) Website for the legal information as well as the NARGC site.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 MidlandsHunter

Thanks cookiemonster,

When you say no practical I assume you mean no practical exam? As there are carcass inspections e.t.c from what I have read.

I'm happy that you think it was good, this will make it less of a task. The only problem is that it's a little on the pricey side at 220euro. However it's an investment, If all goes to plan, I will soon make that money back and then some.

Thanks cookiemonster,

When you say no practical I assume you mean no practical exam? As there are carcass inspections e.t.c from what I haveheard........ If all goes to plan, I will soon make that money back and then some.

I did it over two years ago, there's definitely no 'practical classes' it's death by PowerPoint. The exams are short answer questions afaik. So if your expecting hands on instruction / practice on the gralloch or carcass inspection then I'm afraid your going to be disappointed. The award is London City and Guilds and your name is registered with the FSAI. I did it as an option and from a professional interest.

I won't BS, I pass on some of my animals to the game handlers, I like to hunt and during the season go stalking every week. When my freezer is full and my friends are sick of the sight of venison I sell a couple of deer. The numbers I connect with during the season aren't big to date I have six animals taken. I have more or less replaced beef with venison in my house hold through out the year so an animal is worth more to me in the freezer than the game dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 MidlandsHunter

I see.

That sounds great. Venison is a beautiful meat. Lean and full of flavour. Can I ask you what kind of price you would sell a deer at?

If I get the expression right - 'it's a buyer's market' you get what is offered by the game dealer at the time. The prices are generally regular but I have seen variations and would assume it's market based.
    It's all about preserving and presenting the best prime cuts of meat at optimal weight. Any meat damage either side of the spine, roughly 4 inches each side from centre internally, will qualify as a lower grade.
    Prices can be roughly €2.50/ kg or as little as €1.60/kg or even worthless depending on body weight or condition. A neck shot animal demands the higher price, while shoulder / body shots have lesser value respectively. Body weight can also dictate +/- on the € / Kg. It's a far cry from what I pay my suppliers for when ordering venison for work. If your going to pass on dear, ring the dealers, find out their arrangements for dropping off, prices, payment methods etc, then make up your mind if it's worth it or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,066 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

A good article to start on.Not related to the game handling course,but worth reading.

http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/articles/how-venison-spoils?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    A good article to start on.Not related to the game handling course,but worth reading.

http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/articles/how-venison-spoils?

Grizzly,
    Good read, tell me, what's your thoughts and experience on bleeding the animal ASAP. I noticed although it may only be localized when abroad on driven shoots animals are left in place for the duration of the hunt. When on a roe stalk (not drive) the local lads commented on my practice of bleeding my animals as I do here.
    Even the yanks SOP as read in the article or seen on Utube don't split throat or pierce the heart as practiced in the UK and here.
    I recently had a share of some venison that I know wasn't blead out and was left on the field for 2 1/2 hours and found it 'off in flavour', my stalking buddy (qualified butcher) refers to a term called 'back stick' where the blood seeps into the meat when improperly bleed out.
    Any thoughts etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,066 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I was taught to gut as soon as practible,but bleeding as we practise it isnt really one of the techniques used.IE a direct throat cut,which usually is pointless anyway if the heart is shot. As for driven shoots,by the time the game is on the honour filed it is mostly dressed.Some do it straight away,others and depending on weather conditions,if it is snowing and in the minus figures,its no problem to leave the game un dressed untill the end of the day. Roe OTOH is usually a Spring/Summer hunt and therefore a pirority to dress out SAP.
    Have been looking at trying a technique from the US which doesnt involve going near the intestines at all. Crowd who make a knife called Raptor Razor developed this.You come in via a cut along the cape from top of the neck to the tail on the back and butcher the game out in the field.

Obviously not going to be a great idea if you are selling carcasses to a game dealer and need to be near your transport or camp.But it does away with alot of other ancillary equipment,not to mind have plenty of meat bags,but I like it and think it might be worth a try.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

I've seen this technique before but not first hand only via media.
    I've broken three reds over the last couple of years in the field when there was no chance of extracting the carcass whole. Unfortunately prior to each dissection there was an attempt to drag out the animal and the grollach was previously preformed.
    My first attempt was basically quartering the animal hide and all, messy after the fact lots of hair. The next one I skinned and used the hide as a work mat - better result for latter butchery. The last one was skinned on the ground using the hide as a ground sheet then the legs where removed whole and the remaining carcass stripped of its meat. After the meat had cooled it went home in plastic bags. I normally carry a couple of €1.00 Ikea pillow cases with me for the offal, or a young sika calf fits in one perfectly.
    Very tempted to try the gutless technique next time I'm on the hill. I won't be worried about hanging time or lack of, as I've mucked around with various techniques, hanging, no hanging to the extent that I see no major difference. Long periods of hanging are a no no for my family tastes and if you read many of the contemporary culinary thoughts on game it's a thing of the past.

Advertisement