Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glow (Bishop Lucy Park)

Options
  • 10-12-2016 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭

fairly sh1t this year.
    anyone else been?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I haven't been this year but if it's just the usual over-priced food stalls (how festive can a gourmet sausage really be:eek:)) I'll pass. The kids haven't even asked to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭stwome01

Would have to agree with OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

There was a good buzz around there yesterday evening but Glow itself was a bit underwhelming. Still a nice enough stroll all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

Agree.We loved it the last two years but this year, it wasn't glowing at all. In fact, it was quite dark and hard to see anything. More Halloween than Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

They seem to have weirdly covered up the fences as if to block anyone from seeing in. It does not look very good in terms of making the city christmassy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I think it's another victim of budget cuts in City Hall. There was a figure of €70k mentioned in a recent council meeting that has been slashed from the Glow budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bigbrotherfan

Pity, as it really added to the atmosphere for the past few years. How is business doing on the Ferris Wheel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

What a mess, so awkward to circumvent the howdedodahs on the way from Sullivan's Quay to Washington St. Ambling around throwing away their money, I guess it's good for the vendors but it eats away at my soul nonetheless. Also, the way they've covered the fence so you can't see the lights in the park is horrible. Why not put a huge market down the Coal Quay instead? That place is purpose-built for traders and it would be great for the actual businesses which exist there. There's nothing on Grand Parade.

Blocking the view of it through the fences is absolutely ridiculous. It doesn't look good at all and makes the park look like a dark hole where as in other years it looked very cool.

I assume it's just so they force you to pay money to see it ... Don't want people getting any freebies...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Blocking the view of it through the fences is absolutely ridiculous. It doesn't look good at all and makes the park look like a dark hole where as in other years it looked very cool.

I assume it's just so they force you to pay money to see it ... Don't want people getting any freebies...

It's free ?

From what I hear it's the last year of it anyway? Budget cut..

• Advertisement

It finishes up tomorrow anyway....a full week before Christmas. Farcical really.

I assumed it was a pay event because how how it's being advertised and because of the way there's a queue and security like a gig.

That's why we walked right past it.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bigbrotherfan

namloc1980 wrote: »
    It finishes up tomorrow anyway....a full week before Christmas. Farcical really.

Pity really but maybe it has run its course. Perhaps they'll think of something new for next year.

Actually got to go in this evening and must agree it was much poorer than previous years. The Council budget cuts really showing this year.

It's something that should be easily funded by the city centre retail community though. Getting things into the right spirit is important.

It's something that should be easily funded by the city centre retail community though. Getting things into the right spirit is important.

Wasn't there a big issue a few years back with less and less city centre traders willing to contribute to the cost of the Christmas lights so the Council ended up funding most of it? With rates due to go up again next year, I doubt many of the City centre businesses will be eager to stump up cash for Glow or anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Wasn't there a big issue a few years back with less and less city centre traders willing to contribute to the cost of the Christmas lights so the Council ended up funding most of it? With rates due to go up again next year, I doubt many of the City centre businesses will be eager to stump up cash for Glow or anything else.
    Given the rates, and the increase in rates; I reckon they contribute enough :P

• Registered Users Posts: 86,647 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I agree seems quite poor this year

Advertisement