Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What would your 8 year self think if they could see you now?

• 11-12-2016 1:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭

I am afraid to admit that my 8 year own self would be desperately dissapointed. Looking back at him, I admire his courage, his convictions, his sense of right or wrong, his sense of what was important in this world. You?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

He'd be very very disappointed that I did not end up patrolling California with CHiPs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭uch

My 8 year old self would say, try and get a sneaky look at them Diddies, and I'd be with him on that one

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

You got old, man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

You got old, man

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

'Thank f*ck that thing you call a knob got bigger'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Everything going according to plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

He would say, you really let yourself go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

Thinking about it, I don't think my 8 year old self would be too disappointed.

Id say thats it's after around 8, when you become more influenced by other people's expectations and I think I've gone an almost full circle at this stage where I don't care as much about others expectations of me. Obviously im not perfect. Im still respectful of the other people around me. People are too hard on themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Thank god I stuck with Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭uch

Dundee or Southend

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭blackcard

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    He would say, you really let yourself go!

Me too. Still not goo late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

"How the hell did we make it to college?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Actually 8 year old me would be more satisfied with my life than present me.

Youve owned all the motorbikes I love and you work as a dive instructor?! Awesome!!

Sorry kid me but most of those bikes broke our heart and instructing is killing our love for the underwater world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

He'd be fairly happy I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

To steal a line from the Simpsons, all I ever wanted to do was Get Drunk and Stay up All Night. As I post this message at 2.20am, and rather lubricated, I did you proud my boy.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I'd think - "what a strange but funny man!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

He'd think I was super rich and he'd be jealous that I can play video games and eat pizza whenever I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Otis_taylor2

He'd say, you fu*cking made it despite the odds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

She'd probably be dissapointed that I let her get so fat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

He'd marvel at my extra chins. He'd also be very jealous that I'm allowed stay up until after 4am, eating Coco Pops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

She would be very surprised that I am in Australia, it would actually blow her mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

Why are you not a train driver by now? (or also possibly a bin man)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

Ya interesting discussion.Reminds me of 80's movies like Back to the Future and Big. In the 80's they must have been obsessed with this concept.Another one just sprang to mind the John Connor character in Terminator 2, with Arnie going back in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

Just to be deep and philosophical along the same lines as original poster...would any of you have chosen the lives you are living?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

"Your wife is pretty hot fair play ye big gay"

Something like that anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

8 year old me would be impressed I'd had so many jobs and been terrible at all of them but still got paid money for doing them, and that the policy of not trying at school, was indeed, a good one.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Johngoose wrote: »
    Just to be deep and philosophical along the same lines as original poster...would any of you have chosen the lives you are living?

Being able to retire at 40 if I want - yes.

To answer the original question - pretty happy with how things worked out despite initial lack of confidence, shyness, being overly independent on others and seeing now while still on the shy side of things, I am confident and independent and I am able to lead the life I want.
    So I know I would see someone who grew up a lot and the 8 year old would not need to be scared of the future.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

He'd shoot himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Mine would say , well that has been some ride so far...Are we near the end ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Would call me a dumbass and say he wanted to be afighter pilot and why the hell am I fat!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

BRAAAM!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Wish the meningitis killed him. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

This would be my reaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

blackcard wrote: »
    I am afraid to admit that my 8 year own self would be desperately dissapointed. Looking back at him, I admire his courage, his convictions, his sense of right or wrong, his sense of what was important in this world. You?

My 8 year old self thinks I'm the coolest bestest bravest funniest kindest man in the whole world .......... I know because I've met him in the form of my son ........... he'll grow up one day and change his opinion ......... hopefully he'll still love me just as much though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Cheese. Cheese everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Probably how incredibly fortunate I have been in many ways. Arguably you make a lot of your own luck but I could never have imagined being able to attend some of the greatest music and sporting events in history, having a rewarding job that I enjoy (well the first 28 years of it anyway!), being blessed (in pretty unique circumstances) with a great family, being able to explore different parts of the world and generally changing from a kid with a very negative outlook to an adult with a very positive one.

Of course there has been plenty of occasions when bad luck has struck but even they can have a silver lining if you look closely enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

He would think...

Ireland looks like a good place to live.

...and he would not have waited 48 years before coming here.

Advertisement