Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on this saw

Options
  • 11-12-2016 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭

Just cleaning out a couple of old sheds in a very old Building and have come across a good few tools including this bench saw which obviously is not very old is does anybody have any opinions on my options regarding this piece of equipment. The saw still spins freely.
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Interesting restoration project, though wont be ready for slicing the ham.
    Any sign of a a guard for the blade that might sit into the RH front corner that is truncated in the picture
    Is the elec motor a spare or is it not fitted into saw.
    Any name plate on the motor?
    What diameter is the blade?
    My guess is that it may have been 3 phase and that it may have been converted to single, hence the spare motor

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Cast iron bit of kit. far superior to todays tat.

Looks like a standard joinery rip saw. Makers of these run from

Wadkin, Robinson, Dominion.......all the way to Wilson and Cookesly.

Well worth a resto possibly if its from the upper echelons of quality.

Suitable only for the home workshop, as it wont pass current eu, safety specs.

So put us out of our suspense and name it....please.

My money is on Wadkin....if it is, its a keeper.

Just had another quick look.

No riving knife present. Possibly an early Cookesly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Cheers for all the replies, there is actually a lot of this kind of thing in the shed that we are cleaning out so I may be back for more advice during the week I will have a good look tomorrow and find the makers name on the Saw Thanks all again

Remember there is a market out there for these machines.

And you would get a better price than scarp value,

which is very low at the moment.

Too much of this went to the scrappie in the last 20 years.

You might find a real gem there, good luck.

• Advertisement

Just had a look there, it made by Watts Bros (see pic)
    Is this the correct place to post up other machinery (there some old water pumps, and cast iron gates, 2 realky nice carriages, bellows etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Would be better to just stick to pictures of the saw and other ww machinery/tools here.
    The others, when not annotated, are, perhaps, a distraction, as are the last three listed above.

Any nameplate on the motor to give an idea of phase/current/etc

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Would be better to just stick to pictures of the saw and other ww machinery/tools here.
    The others, when not annotated, are, perhaps, a distraction, as are the last three listed above.

Any nameplate on the motor to give an idea of phase/current/etc

Ditto.

WATTS BROTHERS (Sheffield), Ltd., Woodworking Machine Makers and Engineers, Triumph Works, Keetons Hill, Sheffield. T. A.: "Advisers Sheffield." T. N.: Central 3016. Established 1908. Capital £8,000. Directors: Ethelbert Watts, Frank Sheldon. Products.—Woodworking machinery for joiners and builders, portable cylinder boring machines coke crushers for making breeze, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

With all the wheel irons and bellows was there a blacksmith working there, are they water pumps or water rams

• Advertisement

With all the wheel irons and bellows was there a blacksmith working there, are they water pumps or water rams
    There could have been a blacksmith here, the 'sheds' where originally stables.
    I think they are water pumps.

Look like water pumps, with the cradle for a motor.

I had some here at one time.

Advertisement