Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving in UK with Irish learner's permit

• 11-12-2016 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi Folks,
    I hold learner's permit which will expire in Jan 2018. I have to visit UK for training from work. will stay there for a while. am I allowed to drive there on my Irish learner's permit?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

As you do not hold a valid drivers licence, no.
    If you drove you would probably also be invalidating any insurance policy so he polis there would throw the book at you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49 Oliver Beetroot

OP, do you drive unaccompanied by a licenced non-Novice driver in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

This is a joke, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

leah7865 wrote:
    Hi Folks, I hold learner's permit which will expire in Jan 2018. I have to visit UK for training from work. will stay there for a while. am I allowed to drive there on my Irish learner's permit?

If you intend to hire a car then you will need a full license

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Limbo123

If you drive anywhere in UK on a provisional licence without a fully licensed person in passenger seat, prepare for serious trouble. It is not like Ireland- you will NOT get waved on at a checkpoint!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

leah7865 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,
    I hold learner's permit which will expire in Jan 2018. I have to visit UK for training from work. will stay there for a while. am I allowed to drive there on my Irish learner's permit?

Absolutely not; the learner's permit has no authority outside ireland (26 counties).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

You are not allowed under any circumstances to drive outside the Republic Of Ireland with a Learner Permit.

It is not a licence.

If you do take the chance and drive over in the UK, then expect to have your car seized under section 165 of the road traffic act.

The cops in the UK don't take any sh1te.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/165

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

leah7865 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,
    No, having spent ,20 plus yrs in the n of Ireland,its a definite no ,no ,only here in this banana republic,sre learners left loose on their own

No, having spent ,20 plus yrs in the n of Ireland,its a definite no ,no ,only here in this banana republic,sre learners left loose on their own
    Learners (excluding bikers on A1, A2, A, or AM permits) are not let loose on their own here!

kbannon wrote: »
    Learners (excluding bikers on A1, A2, A, or AM permits) are not let loose on their own here!

Next you'll have to carry a pillion passenger with a full licence. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

KC161 wrote: »
    Next you'll have to carry a pillion passenger with a full licence. :rolleyes:
    I'm not sure what you're suggesting here. Are you saying that it's a bad thing for learners to be accompanied by a licenced driver to help show them how to drive?

I'm not sure what you're suggesting here. Are you saying that it's a bad thing for learners to be accompanied by a licenced driver to help show them how to drive?

No no,i'm encouraging it in fact. I don't approve of anyone driving alone on a learner permit. the Government will most likely seek to do what I highlighted next is what I was suggesting even though it is currently against the T&C's of a bikers insurance to carry a pillion passenger.

I done it years ago and Gardaí never said a word when stopping me at check points. didn't mean I was right though,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

Obviously they are,as law is not being enforced

KC161 wrote: »
    I done it years ago and Gardaí never said a word when stopping me at check points. didn't mean I was right though,

I did it years ago too whilst on a provisional.
    In hindsight, I shouldn't have been allowed to as I agree it was a crazy situation.

I often travelled to NI though and had been stopped umpteen times by the RUC. Strangely, there was never any issues and allowed to drive on!

Advertisement