Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever used any "illegal" narcotics?

• 11-12-2016 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Just because our nanny state says that something is illegal, doesn't mean it's bad. Being gay is illegal in some Middle Eastern countries and being Jewish was illegal in Nazi Germany. So the government aren't always necessarily correct.

As someone said in a previous post, "humans have been altering their minds with substances since time began an no government can ever stop that".

In my time, I've only ever tried cannabis. I just can't understand why it's illegal though. Yes, it alters your mental state and you can get addicted, but the same applies to alcohol.

To say that cannabis is a gateway drug is absolute bollocks. Using that logic, you could say the same about alcohol. I firmly believe that the vintners lobby is keeping cannabis illegal in Ireland.

The same applies for other drugs. Ecstasy is a relatively safe drug, as is cocaine. Other drugs like meth and heroin might be dangerous, but I stand corrected if they aren't.

Regardless if they are legal or not, the people who take them will continue to take them and the people who abstain will continue to abstain. Keeping them illegal just needlessly gives people a criminal record for taking a substance in their own bodies that affects no one else but themselves.

And before people say it does affect other people through hospital bills and taxpayers' money etc, SO DOES ALCOHOL! I lived in the Netherlands and in the town I lived in, there were 5 or 6 coffeeshops and unlike pubs, the people simply left peacefully and sauntered home and caused no trouble.

However, take the situation here, where vintners heard people into pubs like cattle in a train, closing time comes and the pubs empty and people batter the heads off each other and get sick and make a mess.

In my opinion, most drugs should be decriminalised.

What have you taken? (Multiple choice anonymous poll) Private 550 votes

Hash / Weed
    0% 0 votes
    Cocaine
    23% 128 votes
    Heroin
    15% 85 votes
    Ecstasy
    2% 14 votes
    Meth
    16% 90 votes
    Poppers
    2% 13 votes
    Benzyl piperazine
    10% 57 votes
    Speed
    3% 19 votes
    Other
    12% 71 votes
    I have never taken drugs and pass no judgement on those who do
    9% 53 votes
    I have never taken drugs but I'd like to. I'm just afraid to.
    3% 19 votes
    I have never taken drugs and those who do are scum
    0% 1 vote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

Are you a cop? You gotta tell me if you're a cop

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

Been there done that in my youth, copped on at 23. Never touched anything else other than alcohol since, and tbh I don't know many people that haven't dabbled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Never felt the need to try anything mind altering, except alcohol.

Never saw the point. Never needed to lose myself. Never needed to zone out. Never needed something that potent to relax, a cup of tea and a Mars bar would do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

You left out a lot of the good sh1t like mushrooms and LSD.

n00b

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭phater phagan

I don't do drugs - I drink moderately once or twice a month. I'm very happy. More people should try it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

No urge to tbh. Tried weed while in amsterdam. Im crazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Christ almighty they must have evolved their social media course in Templemore. This is Garda 2.0 looking for poor boardsies to self incriminate!

It's the new policing lads: outsourced to the "criminals" to supply the evidence themselves! What's next?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Fleawuss wrote: »
    Christ almighty they must have evolved their social media course in Templemore. This is Garda 2.0 looking for poor boardsies to self incriminate!

It's the new policing lads: outsourced to the "criminals" to supply the evidence themselves! What's next?!
    A bit paranoid. No more weed for you. :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

Fleawuss wrote: »

It was 20 years ago, I don't think that they give a fcuk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Hash & weed. Absolute load of ****e. Really don't get it. I'll just stick to the drink.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49 Oliver Beetroot

Self Godwinning OP?

PS, poor attempt, NARC!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

A bit paranoid. No more weed for you. :P

I have never smoked tobacco or ragwort Sergeant.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Hash & weed. Absolute load of ****e. Really don't get it. I'll just stick to the drink.

Don't knock it until you've tried it. If you do get it, you'll be stoned off your marbles for an afternoon of relaxation, fits of the munchies and the giggles when you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I've tried most things apart from Heroin and DMT. Halleucinogenics can be fun but only in moderation. MDMA is fun too, but also only in moderation. These days I mostly stick to alcohol unless I'm at a festival or something. I don't really like smoking weed. I've tried it loads but I just don't like it. I don't get the attraction that some people see in going around in a stoned haze the whole time.

I hate it when people who've never tried anything say "I don't need drugs to have fun" or "I don't feel the need to take drugs to escape or relax" or whatever, implying that people who experiment with drugs do it because they are lacking in something or feel the need to escape from reality. If you're taking drugs for reasons like that then you shouldn't be taking them at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Oh my yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

I've done Has/Weed - meh, don't get the fuss
    Coke - great buzz
    E tabs - great fun in your late teens/early 20's
    I've never done Heroin but have done other opiates like Morphine which is heavenly.
    Also done lots of Beno's, Xanax, Valium, Dalmane etc... - lovely little things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I ticked all the boxes because I like to pretend to be adventurous on the internet

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Vital Transformation

I've done Has/Weed - meh, don't get the fuss
    Coke - great buzz
    E tabs - great fun in your late teens/early 20's
    I've never done Heroin but have done other opiates like Morphine which is heavenly.
    Also done lots of Beno's, Xanax, Valium, Dalmane etc... - lovely little things.

I've taken a few of those for medical reasons. They aren't illegal though.

I've never taken illicit drugs. They don't appeal to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

dfeo wrote: »
    Regardless if they are legal or not, the people who take them will continue to take them and the people who abstain will continue to abstain. Keeping them illegal just needlessly gives people a criminal record for taking a substance in their own bodies that affects no one else but themselves.

Tell that to the granny who's had her bag snatched or the shopkeeper who has constant battle against shoplifters who are looking to fund their habits. Or even you and me as taxpayers who are paying for medical treatment for junkies who have overdosed or for Garda time to be spent dealing with the aforementioned criminal acts. I agree that people will take drugs whether they're legal or not, and there are probably things that can be done to minimise the social impact - supervised injecting rooms, for example - but to say that they're only affecting themselves is a pretty naive statement to make.

That said, I do think it makes little or no sense to keep cannabis criminalised, and if legalising it was done properly the government could have a nice new revenue stream available to them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Never, when I was younger most of my friends did and it turned them into lazy losers and ****ups and that impression has remained with me.

Zaph wrote: »
    Tell that to the granny who's had her bag snatched or the shopkeeper who has constant battle against shoplifters who are looking to fund their habits. Or even you and me as taxpayers who are paying for medical treatment for junkies who have overdosed or for Garda time to be spent dealing with the aforementioned criminal acts.

IMO all those whole scenario's are a symptom of the prohibition of narcotics. When you have someone lets say who is addicted to an substance which is deemed illegal by the state, those people are then automatically placed and involved in a illegal way of life deemed illegal and criminal by the state.

Then they may as well get involved in other illegal/criminal measures, seeing as how they are in this way of life anyways. Can't go looking for help, because their way of life is deemed illegal.

I've never gotten any hastle of anyone on the street except for drunken idiots who have spent all day in the pub getting dosed up with booze from some state sponsored vintner federation drug dealer. Good luck trying to get the authorities to clamp down on those craic dens. In my area half the authorities are in them dens all hours of the 24.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

buried wrote: »
    IMO all those whole scenario's are a symptom of the prohibition of narcotics. When you have someone lets say who is addicted to an substance which is deemed illegal by the state, those people are then automatically placed and involved in a illegal way of life deemed illegal and criminal by the state.

Then they may as well get involved in other illegal/criminal measures, seeing as how they are in this way of life anyways. Can't go looking for help, because their way of life is deemed illegal.

I've never gotten any hastle of anyone on the street except for drunken idiots who have spent all day in the pub getting dosed up with booze from some state sponsored vintner federation drug dealer. Good luck trying to get the authorities to clamp down on those craic dens. In my area half the authorities are in them dens all hours of the 24.

Alcoholics and addicted gamblers steal too and both are legal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Smoked quite a bit of weed during my studies, mainly made me sleepy :pac:

Coke i only tried a few times and it just made me really confident and full of chat but i couldn't get to sleep for about 12 hours after a few lines.

I'd have a lot of friends that literally won't go on a night out without getting a bag of coke. What's the story there like? We'd be in small town's in Wexford and they'd be snorting as much as Scarface. We'd go back to a party and i might go to bed and i'm no fun because i'm tired, could perhaps be because i've not got a head full of Colombian maybe :rolleyes:

Even if their narcotic of choice was legal, the habit still has to be funded. Sure you might have some who somehow manage to hold down a job for a while, but being a habitual drug user and gainful employment generally don't go hand in hand and so it's inevitable that they will eventually resort to crime. That has nothing at all to do with the drugs themselves being illegal.

Alcoholics and addicted gamblers steal too and both are legal

That's exactly my point, but people who addicted to those things don't get the added pressure of their particular addiction being labelled as illegal. A narcotic addict does, so will probably not seek help from anyone or anything to help themselves get out of that addiction cycle, they'll just go further and further into the addiction with no establishment resource to get them out of it. The fact they have to get their addictive substance from other criminals makes the entire circle even worse.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

No crack option?

Even if their narcotic of choice was legal, the habit still has to be funded. Sure you might have some who somehow manage to hold down a job for a while, but being a habitual drug user and gainful employment generally don't go hand in hand and so it's inevitable that they will eventually resort to crime. That has nothing at all to do with the drugs themselves being illegal.

I don't agree with that at all. I'm addicted to certain things which addle my wallet to a certain extent fairly often but I'm also able to hold down my own business. Not saying everyone can do that but I honestly think the criminal vibe surrounding illegal narcotics does much more harm than it does good.

• Advertisement

Just because our nanny state says that something is illegal, doesn't mean it's bad. Being gay is illegal in some Middle Eastern countries and being Jewish was illegal in Nazi Germany. So the government aren't always necessarily correct.

Being gay is not something someone chooses to do.
    Being Jewish, for those that were born into the religion is not something that those people choose to do either.
    So not at all comparable with taking drugs.
    You can argue for drugs to be legal, but not by using those arguments!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

beertons wrote: »
    No crack option?

Is that you Phil?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Well Ireland is backwards,when you think about it,but say mushrooms are scheduled as A class drug even thou they grow in Ireland,like coke plant does in most of South America's- but it took someone to take too much and die and it became illegal.

so yes government does make poor pi$$ decisions on what people should or shouldn't take,but try to convince them that one drug is less harmless then another-since stats alone would be enough how many die,get addicted and do damage while drinking compared to weed.

But while saying that wouldn't put into mix hard synthetic drugs that over-go drain wash bath to be made to make a statement.

I don't agree with that at all. I'm addicted to certain things which addle my wallet to a certain extent fairly often but I'm also able to hold down my own business. Not saying everyone can do that but I honestly think the criminal vibe surrounding illegal narcotics does much more harm than it does good.

So you're saying that a heroin or crack addict will be able to consistently function at a level where they could hold down a well enough paying job to fund their habit? I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Never, when I was younger most of my friends did and it turned them into lazy losers and ****ups and that impression has remained with me.

There's an impression that weed turns you into a lazy fecker. Thing is that anyone I know like that who's a stoner was already like that. Being stoned just makes it easier to be bored and do nothing.

I think that there's an ideal drug for most people. Something that they'll enjoy the most. Most people in Ireland drink but let's face it, drink isn't for everyone. There are many guys who turn into tossers or just get violent when they drink. I know many girls who end up going psycho or just crying every time they drink. And that's besides the blackouts.

That's why I can also understand why some people don't like weed. It's not for everyone. They'd find themselves far easier to relax with a few beers or whiskey.

The point is, take whatever drug you enjoy that works best for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Commotion Ocean

Then why punish those who possess for personal consumption? Why not nip it at the source (ie, the dealer) and let the whole system tumble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

Ah in fairness though I was a smoker for short of a decade and I never stole from anyone no matter how badly I wanted a cigarette. It's apples and oranges I know but there's alcoholics who'll lie, beg and steal to get a can of Dutch gold and their habit is legal.

So you're saying that a heroin or crack addict will be able to consistently function at a level where they could hold down a well enough paying job to fund their habit? I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Well, I think they should be given the chance! Lots of addictions exist. I know lots of people addicted to all sorts. I know people who were addicted to living in and more importantly, addicted to looking like they were in a lifestyle they could not actually afford. Not long ago that sort of lifestyle addiction nearly brought down this country to its very knees and did to some extent. And now this same lifestyle is being lauded again by the mainstream establishment. But yeah, your right, we'll just have to agree to disagree

Then why punish those who possess for personal consumption? Why not nip it at the source (ie, the dealer) and let the whole system tumble.

I don't think that people should be convicted for possession for personal use, you're right that it should be the dealers who are targeted. But if someone starts engaging in criminal activity to fund their habit then it's a different ball game and they deserve to be punished. The rest of society shouldn't have to deal with the consequences of their actions while they get off scot free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

MadYaker wrote: »
    I hate it when people who've never tried anything say "I don't need drugs to have fun" or "I don't feel the need to take drugs to escape or relax" or whatever, implying that people who experiment with drugs do it because they are lacking in something or feel the need to escape from reality. If you're taking drugs for reasons like that then you shouldn't be taking them at all.

If you are not taking drugs for fun, relaxation or some other reason, then why take them? I don't take drugs myself, so I may be missing something.7

It won't though. Much like the cigarette trade, the dealers will just flood the market with a much cheaper product and people will buy that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

bubblypop wrote: »
    Being gay is not something someone chooses to do.
    Being Jewish, for those that were born into the religion is not something that those people choose to do either.
    So not at all comparable with taking drugs.
    You can argue for drugs to be legal, but not by using those arguments!

It doesn't matter if it's choice or not. The point is they do no harm and any harm or risks involved are the bearers choosing.

Example: gay men have a much higher risk of getting HIV or AIDs. They CHOOSE to have sex

A weed smoker has a higher risk of getting cancer but they CHOOSE to smoke the drug.

A fully grown adult should not be told what to do IMO. if we ban drugs for the health and social effects then alcohol should be banned as well.
    I don't think that people should be convicted for possession for personal use, you're right that it should be the dealers who are targeted. But if someone starts engaging in criminal activity to fund their habit then it's a different ball game and they deserve to be punished. The rest of society shouldn't have to deal with the consequences of their actions while they get off scot free.

So ban alcohol. An alcoholic coming stone drunk out of the local in the evening is much more likely to cause hassle or harm to people than the dazed out stoner.
    Berserker wrote: »
    It won't though. Much like the cigarette trade, the dealers will just flood the market a much cheaper product and people will buy that.

I smoked for 10 years and never bought illegal cigarettes. Why would I bother buying ****e knock offs when I could buy them in the store?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I smoked for 10 years and never bought illegal cigarettes. Why would I bother buying ****e knock offs when I could buy them in the store?

You are one example. Many people think differently, primarily as a result of the ever increasing cost of tobacco in Ireland. A roaring black market cigarette trade exists in Ireland to supply these people. Last time I checked it correspondeded to upwards of €200m in excise duty being lost on the sales of tobacco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

You left out ketamine...

...And yes, my hoofs were just sore after a long gallop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

To say that cannabis is a gateway drug is absolute bollocks.

The same applies for other drugs. Ecstasy is a relatively safe drug, as is cocaine. Other drugs like meth and heroin might be dangerous, but I stand corrected if they aren't.

Cannabis is a gateway drug no matter what you think.
    Ask any addict what the first drug they ever took was and the answer for 99.99999% will be...........
    It's not just the cannabis itself but where you get it from BTW. If you know where to get it then you're in contact with people that can get you any drug that you require. You're not just in contact with them but you're helping to fund their operations whether you like it or not. I appreciate that some people will grow their own, and I don't have any problem with that, but the vast vast majority of it comes through criminal pathways. That €20 that you spend is going towards the supply of every other illegal drug that enters the country as well as funding plenty of other aspects of criminality.

On the second point, Heroin is actually probably a safer drug than Ecstasy - subject to it not being cut with poisonous substances. Ecstasy is far from safe. It's a man made God knows what concoction made up by someone that may or may not be a chemist and is made purely for profit with zero medicinal benefits. Anyone that thinks it's harmless needs to do a little bit more research I think !! Heroin is a natural drug but gets the bad press and kills people from the lifestyle associated with it and the padding that it's mixed with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

I don't consider poppers illegal - it's for my rug...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    Don't knock it until you've tried it. If you do get it, you'll be stoned off your marbles for an afternoon of relaxation, fits of the munchies and the giggles when you do.

I have tried both to no effect. Think I must be just be naturally stoned. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

I've taken a few of those for medical reasons. They aren't illegal though.

I've never taken illicit drugs. They don't appeal to me.

They are without a prescription. Xanax bars were my fav, Temazepam was the strongest one I've taken, Librium had a nice mellow, fluffy buzz to it as well.

Ask any addict what the first drug they ever took was and the answer for 99.99999% will be...........
    It's not just the cannabis itself but where you get it from BTW. If you know where to get it then you're in contact with people that can get you any drug that you require. You're not just in contact with them but you're helping to fund their operations whether you like it or not. I appreciate that some people will grow their own, and I don't have any problem with that, but the vast vast majority of it comes through criminal pathways. That €20 that you spend is going towards the supply of every other illegal drug that enters the country as well as funding plenty of other aspects of criminality.

On the second point, Heroin is actually probably a safer drug than Ecstasy - subject to it not being cut with poisonous substances. Ecstasy is far from safe. It's a man made God knows what concoction made up by someone that may or may not be a chemist and is made purely for profit with zero medicinal benefits. Anyone that thinks it's harmless needs to do a little bit more research I think !! Heroin is a natural drug but gets the bad press and kills people from the lifestyle associated with it and the padding that it's mixed with.

Heroin IS synthetic. Opium from the poppy plant is natural, but the opium has to be "acetylsed", (ie, add the acetyl functional group) to the morphine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Heroin IS synthetic. Opium from the poppy plant is natural, but the opium has to be "acetylsed", (ie, add the acetyl functional group) to the morphine.

In the poll you provide the option of choosing Meth , do you mean methadone or methamphetamine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

I don't think there is any such thing as a specific gateway drug. I know people that take nothing but Cocaine. I know people who do nothing but drink. I know people who smoke and don't dabble in anything else, maybe drink occasionally.

There are a small percentage of people who will get addicted to being high no matter what the substance is and I don't think that a specific drug made them end up that way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement