Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever used any "illegal" narcotics?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Commotion Ocean

Shocking that almost 14% of users consider drug users to be scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

dfeo wrote: »
    Shocking that almost 14% of users consider drug users to be scum.

Your right. I find that attitude totally bazaar.

For those that voted 'scum' did you really mean it and if so can you tell us why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Stasi 2.0

Most of the drugs on the O/P's list are not "narcotics". Its one of the most misused terms about.
    Cannabis is a gateway drug no matter what you think.
    Ask any addict what the first drug they ever took was and the answer for 99.99999% will be .

Tobacco or maybe alcohol
    On the second point, Heroin is actually probably a safer drug than Ecstasy - subject to it not being cut with poisonous substances. Ecstasy is far from safe. It's a man made .

Heroin is just as "man made" as MDMA both are synthetic compounds derived from naturally occurring precursors. In any case "natural" does not equate with being somehow less harmful. It is true that (addictiveness and risk of overdose aside) pure heroin is fairly benign but outside of a medical/pharmaceutical setting pure heroin doesn't exist anywhere this side of Helmand province.
    Zaph wrote: »
    So you're saying that a heroin or crack addict will be able to consistently function at a level where they could hold down a well enough paying job to fund their habit?.

Youd be surprised. -Not saying that its the case in the majority of instances but it does happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Commotion Ocean

learn_more wrote: »
    Your right. I find that attitude totally bazaar.

For those that voted 'scum' did you really mean it and if so can you tell us why?

Do you know what else I find bazzar?

Flea markets in the Middle East.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Zaph wrote: »
    Even if their narcotic of choice was legal, the habit still has to be funded. Sure you might have some who somehow manage to hold down a job for a while, but being a habitual drug user and gainful employment generally don't go hand in hand and so it's inevitable that they will eventually resort to crime. That has nothing at all to do with the drugs themselves being illegal.

You could easily fund a heroin habit off the dole if it were legally supplied through legitimate sources, it is a cheap drug to produce.

The symptoms of illegal drug supply and use are far more damaging to society at large. The entire chain from users committing crimes to fund their habit through criminal gangs to entire countries destroyed by cartels producing and distributing the stuff.

It would be cheaper and less destructive for substance abuse to be decriminalised and provide a controlled provision of addictive and harmful drugs to addicts at a cost low enough to make criminal distribution unprofitable.

The war on drugs is just a pointless clusterfuk that developed countries are funding both sides of while ignoring the millions of lives across the globe that are being destroyed in the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Jerome77

I have been clean off all drugs eight years. Weed did more damage to me than smack ever did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I have tried both to no effect. Think I must be just be naturally stoned. :-)

The problem with weed is that so many strains have completely different effect.

It's like buying alcohol but not knowing if you're ordering a vodka red bull or a shot of beer.

If you could walk into one of the weed shops in the US they have strains for everything. Get something that relaxes you but keeps your head clear. Get something that makes you giggly. Or philosophical. Here it's just random.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Cannabis is a gateway drug no matter what you think.
    Ask any addict what the first drug they ever took was and the answer for 99.99999% will be...........

Crap.

In the US the biggest source of new heroin users is now people who got addicted to legally prescribed painkillers. Once the legal supply dries up and the cost gets too high they end up turning to heroin.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/08/29/health/gupta-unintended-consequences/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Thread title reminds me of...

• Advertisement
Advertisement