Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fired at Christmas

Options
  • 11-12-2016 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I am just wondering if anyone has ever been fired 2 weeks before Christmas. I left a really good secure job for a job that was basically full of empty promises (college and lesser hours than my previous job), I had no training on how things were to be done in this new place and excuses were pretty petty as to why I was being let go after a few days. Anyways question is how long will I have to wait to get social payment? I am owed money for work but I have a funny feeling this cracker jack is going to make things pretty difficult for me and it's Christmas and I can't afford to not have money with mortgage, bills etc to be paid. Any help or advice is really appreciated. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

gfurrier84 wrote: »
    I am just wondering if anyone has ever been fired 2 weeks before Christmas. I left a really good secure job for a job that was basically full of empty promises (college and lesser hours than my previous job), I had no training on how things were to be done in this new place and excuses were pretty petty as to why I was being let go after a few days. Anyways question is how long will I have to wait to get social payment? I am owed money for work but I have a funny feeling this cracker jack is going to make things pretty difficult for me and it's Christmas and I can't afford to not have money with mortgage, bills etc to be paid. Any help or advice is really appreciated. Thanks in advance

Probably best to post in the social welfare forum.

Assuming this happened this weekend and you've not had a chance to contact them already. Contact them first thing Monday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 gfurrier84

Probably best to post in the social welfare forum.

Assuming this happened this weekend and you've not had a chance to contact them already. Contact them first thing Monday morning.
    Unfortunately it did happen just on Friday, I am just at a loss as to what to do as I have never been in this situation before. Thanks for your advice on the forum topic will do that now Avatar. I am getting down to the social first thing tomorrow pls God something can be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I'm sure you'll get good advice on the social forum but incase no one mentions it you should go to your local community welfare office as they were able to help me in a similar situation before where they pay you until social welfare process your claim and they take it back out of that. Will help you not waiting weeks to be processed.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    I'm sure you'll get good advice on the social forum but incase no one mentions it you should go to your local community welfare office as they were able to help me in a similar situation before where they pay you until social welfare process your claim and they take it back out of that. Will help you not waiting weeks to be processed.
    I just updated the topic there thanks shooter. Aw if they can do that, that would actually be great and really get me out of a hole. I just don't want to be putting all this stress of money on my partner because it's just not fair and too much to take on board on your own. Thanks again for your help guys even talking about it is helping me digest the blow a bit better. Really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

This might not be something that you would ever think of doing but the SVP helps people out of holes like this all the time - just a dig out until you are back on your feet - a lot of people who are down on their luck would get once-off help and give it back through donations when they are back on track.

• Advertisement

Redser87 wrote: »
    This might not be something that you would ever think of doing but the SVP helps people out of holes like this all the time - just a dig out until you are back on your feet - a lot of people who are down on their luck would get once-off help and give it back through donations when they are back on track.
    Aw thats so nice, I never knew the vinnies did that, thanks a mill Redser.

I'll be going down to the social first thing in the morning and see what they say. It's nice to know there is help out there and advice as well. Thanks again Redser.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Get yourself in Monday morning.. Sign on but it won't be through till after christmas, takes 8 weeks regular but you could add a week or two for worse case..

social welfare officer might be able to cut you a cheque to tide you over...

Wonder would credit union help get you over short term.. ?? No idea, just thinking aloud on that one..

SVDP definitely have food etc.. don't be too proud to ask..

_Brian wrote: »
    Get yourself in Monday morning.. Sign on but it won't be through till after christmas, takes 8 weeks regular but you could add a week or two for worse case..

social welfare officer might be able to cut you a cheque to tide you over...

Wonder would credit union help get you over short term.. ?? No idea, just thinking aloud on that one..

SVDP definitely have food etc.. don't be too proud to ask..
    I will be doing that first thing in the morning. I got a good bit of info so I'll defo try all angles suggested to me and I definitely won't be too proud to ask. I know it's not an ideal situation but you have to do what you have to do to survive.

Thanks for taking the time to give advice Brian it really appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Probably stating the obvious, but put pride aside and go straight back to your previous job and ask for it back.

• Site Banned Posts: 391 ✭✭paralysed

Play nice until you get you final payment and then picket with a sign outside the business. It worked wonders for me before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Probably stating the obvious, but put pride aside and go straight back to your previous job and ask for it back.

This

I was speaking to my previous employer about it yesterday and he couldn't get over what happened to me. He said that my old position has been filled but he's going to talk to HR and see if they can even find something for me but I doubt I'll get anything this side of Christmas. Thanks for the advice Irish_elect_eng

paralysed wrote: »
    Play nice until you get you final payment and then picket with a sign outside the business. It worked wonders for me before.

Lol I was thinking he's probably going around slandering and slating me already, the guy is an absolute head case and God only knows what he could do if I tried to slate his business lol, I'll see how things go with money but if it goes south I'll be on to you for picket design ideas lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Lol I was thinking he's probably going around slandering and slating me already, the guy is an absolute head case and God only knows what he could do if I tried to slate his business lol, I'll see how things go with money but if it goes south I'll be on to you for picket design ideas lol

If you are going to stand outside his business with a informative sign in one hand, see if you can persuade one of his compeditors to pay you to advertise for them with a sign in your other hand ?

Multitasking FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

gfurrier84 wrote:
    I was speaking to my previous employer about it yesterday and he couldn't get over what happened to me. He said that my old position has been filled but he's going to talk to HR and see if they can even find something for me but I doubt I'll get anything this side of Christmas.
    Consider how much of a pay cut you'll take if they can't find you anything, in case they don't have anything that pays the same wage as you had.

Well I got a temporary position to tie me over in a different place until Christmas so I am feeling very lucky and blessed. Every cloud has a silver lining and God only knows what doors this could now open. Thanks again folks for all your advice I really appreciate it and everyone helped me more than they could ever realise. Hope you all have a great Christmas guys and a super year for 2017. If things change I'll be back online getting tips for picket designs and chants :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Good for you, best of luck.

Have a lovely Christmas with the worry gone :)

Stheno wrote: »
    Good for you, best of luck.

Have a lovely Christmas with the worry gone :)

Thanks a mill stheno, I know it feels like a weight has just been lifted from my shoulders. Same to you, have a lovely Christmas

Advertisement