Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting in general areas

Options
  • 11-12-2016 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi lads,

Myself and my mate have plenty of farmland where we can shoot, but we are wondering about shooting in areas that are not owned by a member of the general public.

For example, if you want to go wildfowling, first of all where COULD you go? and who do you ask permission from to shoot at the lakes, marshes, and coastal areas where waterfowl inhabit?

And if for instance you find a large forest in a very secluded rural area, who do you ask for permission to shoot there? I know a lot of forestry is owned by Coillte, so can you ask them?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Coillte sells the rights every year for the stalking. You can't just rock up and shoot. On lakes/seafront for wildfowl you can get a foreshore licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 MidlandsHunter

gunny123 wrote: »
    Coillte sells the rights every year for the stalking. You can't just rock up and shoot. On lakes/seafront for wildfowl you can get a foreshore licence.

Thanks gunny.

Are foreshore licences available to rifle holders?

Thanks gunny.

Are foreshore licences available to rifle holders?

Wouldn't think so, they are for shooting wildfowl only.

gunny123 wrote: »
    Wouldn't think so, they are for shooting wildfowl only.

Right.

I'm asking because I would spend a lot of time angling on my boat in Westmeath. I'd often come across duck and geese. I'd get close to them too. Seeing as I only have a .22, I would have to pick them off the water. There is a lake here that isn't state owned - lough lene, and you can shoot there after clearing it with surrounding land owners. It would be a good spot for the rifle. However I don't know how foreshore licenses work vis a vis rifles.

Right.

I'm asking because I would spend a lot of time angling on my boat in Westmeath. I'd often come across duck and geese. I'd get close to them too. Seeing as I only have a .22, I would have to pick them off the water. There is a lake here that isn't state owned - lough lene, and you can shoot there after clearing it with surrounding land owners. It would be a good spot for the rifle. However I don't know how foreshore licenses work vis a vis rifles.

To the best of my limited knowledge, its illegal to shoot gamebirds and waterfowl with a rifle. I am sure others here can clarify.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

Right.

It begs the question how did you ever manage to get a firearms licence in Ireland?

viper123 wrote: »
    It begs the question how did you ever manage to get a firearms licence in Ireland?

I don't follow?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

It is illegal to shoot any wild bird with a rifle. Or a restricted shotgun, air rifle, pistol, revolver, or anything with a suppressor.

Section 33 of the 1976 wildlife act:
    33.—(1) It shall be an offence for a person to kill or injure—

(a) with a repeating or automatic shotgun (other than a repeating or automatic shotgun which is adapted or modified so as to render it incapable of carrying more than three shotgun cartridges), with an airgun, air-rifle, gas-rifle, pistol or revolver, or with any firearm fitted with a silencer device, any wild bird,

(b) with a rifle, any protected wild bird.

(2) It shall be an offence for a person to kill or injure any wild bird or wild mammal with a spring gun, or with tracer shot or with a floating container containing an explosive substance.

(3) It shall be an offence for a person to kill or injure with a shotgun a protected wild animal other than a hare.

(4) Subject to the foregoing subsections of this section, the Minister may make regulations specifying the type and calibre of firearms and ammunition which may be used to hunt wild birds and wild mammals and providing that firearms and ammunition of any other type and calibre shall not be used to hunt such birds or mammals.

(5) In this section “rifle” includes both a gas-rifle and an air-rifle.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    It is illegal to shoot any wild bird with a rifle. Or a restricted shotgun, air rifle, pistol, revolver, or anything with a suppressor.

Section 33 of the 1976 wildlife act:

Nowhere in this does it say that it is illegal to shoot a wild bird with a rifle, as you have stated. It clearly states that it is only illegal to shoot a PROTECTED wild bird with a rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Tommyaya4

Right.

Completely illegal to shoot game birds with a rifle

• Advertisement

All wild birds are protected. Also in the 2000 Amendment act they dropped the word protected and left it as"Wild Birds" and "Wild Animals" (Later replaced as "Wild Mammals").

Here is the complete list of season:

Wildbird
    • Red Grouse - 1st September to 30th September
    • Mallard - 1st September to 31st January
    • Teal - 1st September to 31st January
    • Tufted Duck - 1st September to 31st January
    • Snipe - 1st September to 31st January
    • Jack Snipe - 1st September to 31st January
    • Golden Plover - 1st September to 31st January
    • Gadwall - 1st September to 31st January
    • Wigeon - 1st September to 31st January
    • Pintail - 1st September to 31st January
    • Shovellor - 1st September to 31st January
    • Scaup - 1st September to 31st January
    • Pochard - 1st September to 31st January
    • Goldeneye - 1st September to 31st January
    • Ruddy Duck - 1st September to 31st January
    • Red Legged Partridge - 1st November to 31st January
    • Cock Pheasant - 1st November to 31st January
    • Woodcock - 1st November to 31st January
    • Canada Geese (Countrywide) - 1st September to 15th October
    • Canada Geese (Cavan and Leitrim Only) Excluding Eonish Island, Rinn, Deramfield, and the River Shannon - 16th October to 31st January.
    • Greylag Geese - 1st Spetember to 15th October
    • Greylag Geese. (Lady's Island, Co. Wexford and Gearagh East & Gearagh West in Cork only) - 16th October to 31st January
    • Wood Pigeon - 1st November to 31st January
    Under Derogation (Otherwise Season runs 1st November to 31st January)
    • Grey Crows
    • Magpies
    • Pigeon
    • Feral Pigeon
    • Rooks
    • Jackdaws
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

If this is true, this is a big surprise for me. I wonder why it is illegal. It's probably to stop the lesser minded from sending rounds into the air. Well, looks like i'll be getting a shotgun licence lads. Thanks.

If this is true
    There is absolutely no room for misinterpretation, or disbelief. The law is very black and white on this and has been since 1976.
    I wonder why it is illegal. It's probably to stop the lesser minded from sending rounds into the air.
    First reason is safety. You rally want lads firing 223, 243, 308 rounds into the sky? I sure as s*t don't.

There are other reasons too. The main one to me is fairness. What sport is there is sniping duck off a lake, taking pheasants at 400 yards, etc.

If people cannot stalk them, hunt them or anything else at the short ranges required with a shotgun then perhaps golf is more their cup of tea.
    Well, looks like i'll be getting a shotgun licence lads. Thanks.
    You should alwyas have a shotgun in the safe. Much like a 22lr. I've said before if they (the powers that be) said we could only own one gun in the morning it'd be my shotgun.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

How far would a rifle round richocet off a flat calm lake? Allowing you were firing at an elevation of a few degree's, would a .22 Magnum travel a mile if you missed the duck?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

I don't follow?

When he figures out how to use the term "begs the question" it might make more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

It was explained to me when I was doing my firearms competency course that you cannot shoot any bird with a rifle for the simple fact that you don't know where the bullet will end up after it passes through the bird. There are alternative rounds out there for rifles for killing birds such as federal birdshot etc but these bullets contain shot and not a single bullet like the majority of rifle rounds. I think to be on the safe side the OP should apply for a shotgun license if he intends shooting birds of any description

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    How far would a rifle round richocet off a flat calm lake? Allowing you were firing at an elevation of a few degree's, would a .22 Magnum travel a mile if you missed the duck?

Well I like to think that a competent shooter wouldn't fire anywhere without a clear and definitive backdrop.

Cass wrote:
    There are other reasons too. The main one to me is fairness. What sport is there is sniping duck off a lake, taking pheasants at 400 yards, etc.

If people cannot stalk them, hunt them or anything else at the short ranges required with a shotgun then perhaps golf is more their cup of tea.

You should always have a shotgun in the safe. Much like a 22lr. I've said before if they (the powers that be) said we could only own one gun in the morning it'd be my shotgun.

On reflection I would have to say I agree. I have become proficient at shooting rabbits to the point it doesn't appeal to me as much as it used to, and I am fairly tired of rabbit stew. Hence the reason for my original post.

I've been pondering the idea of a shotgun for a while, and with my newly found interest in wildfowling and the fact that there is a skeet range beside my house, it's actually a no brainer.

Again, thanks.

Reati wrote: »
    When he figures out how to use the term "begs the question" it might make more sense.

First of all who are you talking to?

Second, you're the only person here that hasn't given any useful contribution to this thread. Congratulations.

Luckysasha wrote: »
    It was explained to me when I was doing my firearms competency course that you cannot shoot any bird with a rifle for the simple fact that you don't know where the bullet will end up after it passes through the bird. There are alternative rounds out there for rifles for killing birds such as federal birdshot etc but these bullets contain shot and not a single bullet like the majority of rifle rounds. I think to be on the safe side the OP should apply for a shotgun license if he intends shooting birds of any description

I just looked this up. Bird shot for a rifle. I can't believe it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

I only found out about these when I was talking to my local RFD and telling him I was having trouble with crows and magpies in the sheds on the farm. The would peck way at the bags of meal and cause all sorts of damage. So he gave me a box of the federal store try out and they are pretty good I have to say

I only found out about these when I was talking to my local RFD and telling him I was having trouble with crows and magpies in the sheds on the farm. The would peck way at the bags of meal and cause all sorts of damage. So he gave me a box of the federal store try out and they are pretty good I have to say

Is it still technically illegal though since its from a rifle?

Is it still technically illegal though since its from a rifle?

My mistake, crows and magpies are not protected.

There are alternative rounds out there for rifles for killing birds such as federal birdshot etc but these bullets contain shot and not a single bullet like the majority of rifle rounds.
    Its not the type of projectile, but the firearm used. The law does not say once you use a certain type it's okay, it says you cannot use a rifle. So doesn't matter if it shoots birdshot, a bullet, or laser beams. If it has to be fired in a rifle it cannot be used.
    My mistake, crows and magpies are not protected.
    Yes they are. Read my post above about the seasons.

All birds are protected, every single one of them. They fall into three categories:
    1. Protected, no season - These can never be shot or hunted. These include swans, songbirds, etc.
    2. Protected with season - These can only be shot during the appropriate season with the appropriate firearm. Namely a shotgun.
    3. Derogation - A derogation is an exemption of the law. Meaning certain species can be shot outside of their normal season if they are found to be causing harm to crops or livestock. They may also be shot with something other than a shotgun to fulfill this purpose. Hence the selective and limited use of rifles.
    ]Under Derogation (Otherwise Season runs 1st November to 31st January)
    • Grey Crows
    • Magpies
    • Pigeon
    • Feral Pigeon
    • Rooks
    • Jackdaws

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭clawback07

O.P.
    Did you do a firearms competency course ? You stated it was your intention to shoot duck off and around Lough Lens if possible . You then go on to question the fairness of sniping duck off a lake and pheasants at 400 yards ! Whatever your knowledge of shooting is , you sure know how to muddy the waters you intend shooting on .

Folks, the user is new and regardless of their level of knowledge this forum is here for everyone.

It's a place to ask and learn. We all started somewhere and no one knows it all or comes into the sport knowing it all.

So enough with the judgmental posts. Please try to be helpful and constructive.
    clawback07 wrote: »
    You then go on to question the fairness of sniping duck off a lake and pheasants at 400 yards !
    The OP asked about shooting ducks with a rifle not knowing it was illegal. Now they do.

As for the sniping pheasants at 400 yards, the OP did not question the fairness of this. I said it is unsporting and unfair to be able to do it and it may be one of the reasons rifles cannot be used on wild birds. The OP agreed. The confusion arises from how he quoted my post. I have since fixed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭clawback07

I apologise and accept that I was being judgemental . With respect though Cass , as you say we all had to start some where but this ain't table tennis and someone is going out shooting and was considering duck and geese with a .22 rifle and not being aware of quarry species and seasons . This is what gives us all a bad name . We all had to start some where OK but a little knowledge is a dangerous thing but none is fatal .

No, i owe you an apology.

With the timing of our posts it seems as though i was directing that at you. I wasn't.

I have no gotten any notifications and only after reading the last post did i see the ones before it, and some were giving the OP grief for his lack of legal knowledge.

So when i posted the above it was aimed at everyone that has added nothing constructive to the thread, but only taken the chance to get a dig in.

The forum is here for all, and perhaps those that scoff and snort at the inexperience of new members and new shooters should look back and think what they were lie when they started.

I do. I remember when i got my first scope, couldn't figure it out, and there were not forums then. I took it off and stayed with my open sights.

For years i did not know about seasons, derogation, and was frighteningly ignorant of the various types of guns and calibers out there. I learned what i have from friends on the range, and in the last 10 years from internet forums and reading.

I've sen lads even on here that came on asking the same questions. In a few short years i see them answering new lads with the same patience that they were shown. They learned that from asking and reading.

Educating yourself is not hard. No one needs to be a solicitor. If you knew it all you'd never fire a shot for fear of infracting some ridiculous law (seriously the firearm acts are a nightmare). Your just need to know enough to keep yourself out of the sh*t while enjoying your sport.

clawback07 wrote: »
    I apologise and accept that I was being judgemental . With respect though Cass , as you say we all had to start some where but this ain't table tennis and someone is going out shooting and was considering duck and geese with a .22 rifle and not being aware of quarry species and seasons . This is what gives us all a bad name . We all had to start some where OK but a little knowledge is a dangerous thing but none is fatal .

Although I understand your concern, I wasn't shooting any waterfowl without a foreshore licence and permission from other relevant stakeholders. More so, I wasn't applying for this licence or asking permission from said stakeholders without first seeking advice from the predominantly helpful users on this forum. For this reason, an illegal discharge of my rifle would have never occurred, owing to my diligence in research.

All is well that ends well, so to speak.

• Advertisement

No, i owe you an apology.

With the timing of our posts it seems as though i was directing that at you. I wasn't.

I have no gotten any notifications and only after reading the last post did i see the ones before it, and some were giving the OP grief for his lack of legal knowledge.

So when i posted the above it was aimed at everyone that has added nothing constructive to the thread, but only taken the chance to get a dig in.

The forum is here for all, and perhaps those that scoff and snort at the inexperience of new members and new shooters should look back and think what they were lie when they started.

I do. I remember when i got my first scope, couldn't figure it out, and there were not forums then. I took it off and stayed with my open sights.

For years i did not know about seasons, derogation, and was frighteningly ignorant of the various types of guns and calibers out there. I learned what i have from friends on the range, and in the last 10 years from internet forums and reading.

I've sen lads even on here that came on asking the same questions. In a few short years i see them answering new lads with the same patience that they were shown. They learned that from asking and reading.

Educating yourself is not hard. No one needs to be a solicitor. If you knew it all you'd never fire a shot for fear of infracting some ridiculous law (seriously the firearm acts are a nightmare). Your just need to know enough to keep yourself out of the sh*t while enjoying your sport.

Well said and I appreciate your advice.

Happy shooting.

Advertisement