Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting in general areas

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Not trying to be judgemental since the OP came here looking for advice and I can see pros and cons but it's impossible not to read some of the threads here and compare the situation for newcomers in Ireland to where I'm living in Austria and Germany, where a full semester of study and exams on game, ecology, weapon and hunting law, dogs, hunting methods, etc are needed, as well as weapons proficiency, before you are allowed to hunt.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I would love to see the same level of training available to new shooters especially those that can not go out with someone and learn the way others have, but i'm undecided on whether that training should be mandatory..

I won't go on another rant as i've made my feelings clear about the competency courses, but with no regulation any course is simply a money making racket. I've seen the level, or lack thereof, of some of the courses and all i can say is they are there to make money because the people doing them are almost less educated coming out than when they went in.

There is far too much abuse and people looking out for themselves rather than the good of the sport. I mean the courses you mentioned, i'd assume the people running it have to abide to a standard (probably Governmental ones at that), have credentials to be able to run the course and in the end be officially recognised? None of that happens here.

The HCAP is the only proficiency course in Ireland and its not up to standard. I'm also pretty against proficiency (as opposed to competency) courses for the same reasons i outlined above. What standards to meet, who does it, what credetnials do they have, continuous testing, loss of guns if you fail, etc.

The biggest one for all the above though is the recognition and oversight. There simply is non here.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

Just to clarify it says that crows and jackdaws have an open season of the 1st of November to the 31st of January in the hunting forum.

I was of the believe that they can only be shot under derogation, if they are causing damage. I'm wondering is this the case or can they be shot for their meat, even if they're not causing damage in this period?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

I always shot crows, magpies and the like out of hand no matter what time of the year it was, they are pure vermin, whats the reasoning behind them being protected ? Their numbers are not going down and certainly are in no danger of being wiped out.

I was of the believe that they can only be shot under derogation, if they are causing damage.
    The derogation is for shooting them outside of the season. Otherwise the season runs as listed.
    I'm wondering is this the case or can they be shot for their meat, even if they're not causing damage in this period?
    They can only be shot during season or under derogation. I've only heard of one lad being charged with shooting them outside of the season and when he claimed derogation it was argued that stubble is not a crop that need protecting.

My point is its not something that comes up often or even rarely, but i'm not debating the rights and wrongs, only letting you know what the law is. What you do is up to you.
    gunny123 wrote: »
    ............ whats the reasoning behind them being protected ?
    All birds in Ireland are protected and it is also the case in Europe under EU law (AFAIK).
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

There will be a closed season for rats around the barn next.

Sssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......................

Jesus don't say it too loudly and give them ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

Reati wrote: »
    When he figures out how to use the term "begs the question" it might make more sense.

First of all who are you talking to?

Second, you're the only person here that hasn't given any useful contribution to this thread. Congratulations.
    Wasn't at you but the contribution went over your head it seems. Not to worry. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭denismac

Just to add more confusion to the shooting of birds with a rifle debate:

https://www.npws.ie/sites/default/files/files/Declaration%20for%20May%202016-April%202017%20State%20Wide.pdf

Advertisement