Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Challenging Times

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

rooneyjm wrote: »
    A commitment to up my stroke rate over the next block as I'm sure Mark is getting a pain in his face saying it to me

I know they look similar but the origin of the pain is lower down.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

Saturday

Forced rest day. Vomiting bug struck one of the kids during the night which meant I was up a few more times than normal. Into work and a bit wrecked so no training.

Sunday

105 minute Trainerroad tempo/sweet spot session on the cards. I was cycling to and from work so tried to do it on the road over 2 cycles. It's probably not as good as one longer session but it's the best I could do.

Much harder to do a session like this with junctions/traffic lights and traffic. Every time I slowed the HR dropped off, coupled with the wind at my back it was hard to get the HR up into the 150's.

Anyway, 60mins in the morning and 45mins home.

Overall

Missed a swim and running intervals this week but still 10hrs done. I'm updating my total volume on the SBR Table but I'll track it here too.

Swim 12.2km 5.15
    Bike. 230.2 km 8.45
    Run 77.2 km 8.05

Monday

Run Intervals 60 mins - 20 min warm up then into 7 x 3min intervals with 2 recovery. Very consistent with a couple under 6min/mile pace which was s pleasant surprise.

10 mins S&C when I got back

Monday evening got an opportunity to get a swim in. Legs were feeling heavy so decided to use the pull buoy for the main set and focus on a fast stroke rate.

• 1000m (50 swim 50 kick 50 pull 50 swim) x 5
    • 10 x 100 off 1.55
    First 5 I came in on 1.40, after that they drifted slightly towards 1.45 but still consistent. Going well so, make hay and all that, added an extra 2 x 100
    •100 easy
    • 3 x 200m descending
    1st 3.50
    2nd 3.38
    3rd 3.30
    • 200 warm down

3.1km - not a bad session

Went to work that night and vomiting bug struck the youngest quickly followed by yours truly so Tuesday and Wednesday were canned. Back at it tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

3.1km - not a bad session

Unasked for advice here, so feel free to say cram it:

-that's a very long warm up, concentrating on kick would be better;
    -and very generous on the 100's rest. If you're coming in the first 5 1:40 you'd be better off sticking to that pace for the next 5 rather than slowing and adding a couple of extra reps.
    -ditto the first couple of 300's (fine though if they were the on times without rest)
    -yep I'm a pr*ck but I hope you take this in the spirit its meant.

• Advertisement

Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    Unasked for advice here, so feel free to say cram it:

-that's a very long warm up, concentrating on kick would be better;
    -and very generous on the 100's rest. If you're coming in the first 5 1:40 you'd be better off sticking to that pace for the next 5 rather than slowing and adding a couple of extra reps.
    -ditto the first couple of 300's (fine though if they were the on times without rest)
    -yep I'm a pr*ck but I hope you take this in the spirit its meant.

Don't worry I'm not the sensitive type. I'm going to completely pass the buck here on the warm up and say it's one of the sessions Mark sends out. U might be right about the kicking though as I have a sh1t kick, actually that might be insulting to people with sh1t kicks.

Fair comment on the 100s, normally off 1.55 would challenge me but I'm one of those cases that swim faster with a pull buoy, in this case a lot faster. So yeah 15sec is too much. Next time I'm using the pull buoy I go off 1.50

The 200s were to be descending off 4.00 mins so I hit that and thought the times were ok.

Keep it coming on the bike and run as well, no offence taken

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

It wouldn't be a log on boards if KG didn't critique your swim. It was homework Interested, Kurt. So you make get onto him.

I'd say you managed the set quite well. (If we ignore the use of the pull buoy, of course.)

Glad you took it in the right spirit rooneyjm.

A coach on the deck is worth a 1000 internet heros, but I stand behind what I said. Feckit, if it means interested starts posting again to ball me out of it, it's a win all round.

BLEEDIN KIDS

Had a great plan for today. Drop kids to crèche early and get to the pool. Straight home for turbo followed by run. Do u think that happened, na. The youngest is moving up to a new room and was having none of it this morning, in convulsions. Right then, Ill bring her back to the baby room, no that won't do either. Girl in the crèche said sure go on she'll be fine in a minute. Off I go, 60sec later they come running out, she's after getting sick everywhere. Ah ballix, home we go for a morning of Trolls and dancing, miraculous recovery.

Thursday

Decisions, decisions. So I have a choice now for the evening, swim and treadmill run or turbo and road run. If I don't swim tonight then I don't do my 3rd swim for the week so I go for the swim option.

• 400 warm up
    • 8 x 25m every 2nd all out
    Some bloke stops me half way for a chat about ironman Dublin ( fcuk offffffff). "Yeah no problem pal, what do you want to know".
    • 100 easy
    • 3 x 400 descending off 7.30
    This was going to test me. Did the first one 7.20( 1.45, 1.50. 1.53, 1.52), grabbed the pull buoy.

2nd 7.18 , so I notice aerobically im not working nearly as hard. For the 3rd I make a conscious decision to try get the work rate up but struggle to get that same feeling as the first. Yeah my shoulders are burning but I don't think my heart rate is as high. Anyway 7.02 (1.45,,1.45, 1.47, 1.45)

Run

Plan to do a tempo but I'm informed the gym now closes at 9.30, ffs the gods are against me today.
    • 5min warm up
    • 2mile ish/14 min tempo @ 4.06 per km

20 min total

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Maybe if you didn't wear your Ironman swim hat, Ironman goggles, Ironman shorts and carry all your gear in your Ironman bag he wouldn't have known you had done one?

• Advertisement

joey100 wrote: »
    Maybe if you didn't wear your Ironman swim hat, Ironman goggles, Ironman shorts and carry all your gear in your Ironman bag he wouldn't have known you had done one?

The flip flops gave it away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

joey100 wrote: »

Don't forget the tatoo

Friday

Woke up with a weird pain in my stomach, didn't feel a 100%. Loads of belching.

Bike- Turbo

60mins as 3x 5 mins @ 120%. These hurt bad.

After the stomach issues continued and didn't eat any lunch. Went for a nap hoping that would help, it didn't. Had my swim bag in my hand but in the end just couldn't. Ended up in bits that evening. Don't feel as bad this morning but no long bike as planned with the lads for the club.

Sunday
    Feeling a lot better so tried to salvage something from the week.
    Long Run - 95mins (18.55km)
    Z2 stuff apart from the last 3 miles. Fast finish long runs I have struggled with during marathon training. Could never seem to change up the gears once I was running at an easy pace for a long period. So I tried and will try to add them where I can. Finished at half marathon pace so happy enough for a first try.
    First 8 miles  = 8.20 - 8.30 per mile
    9 = 7.27
    10 = 7.03
    11 = 6.48

(PM) Bike -  Turbo 90mins
    Essentially 4 x 9min at 95% FTP (Sweet Spot/Threshold) with recovery's at 50%. Haven't been doing a whole lot of work in the aero position so did the warm up and the recoveries down on the bars, so nearly an hours worth.

Bit of a messy week, think the body is giving me a few signs to ease up a tad so ill wind it back a small bit and take the opportunity to test a few things.
    • 400TT, 
    • FTP,
    • Raheny 5mile on Sunday
    Those 3 should give me a fair indication of where I'm at.

Monday -

Swim before work, 60 mins, probably needed another 10mins to get the whole session done, had to cut 8 x 50m out at the end.

8 x 50 off 60
    2 x 800 off 7.30 - pull buoy
    4 x 200 off 4.10
    6 x 100 - pull buoy (1st 4 off 1.50, last 2 off 1.55, as I started to flag a bit)
    50 warm down.

Ran out of time on this one but 2.65k done in the hour.

Tuesday

FTP 20 min test

Had to do this after work so was late starting. Purposely no other training today to be fresh, well as fresh as you can be after a 12 HR shift. After I struggled on the 5 x 3 @ 280 watts on Friday I wasn't to confident of trying to hold 270 (20 min pb) so I decided to try hold 260 for the 20 minutes.

First 5 ok, end on the next 5 I started to feel the burn. Was hoping a good song would come on NOVA to keep me motivated, Santana comes on, no joy. Plough away, the mind games start, only 2 songs left, just hang on. In need AC/DC here, what do I get, Fcuking Benny and the Jets by Elton, DJ is killing me. 4 minutes left "it's 10 o'clock " the news. Just keep going.

Ended with exactly 260, so new FTP is 247watts up from 235.

need AC/DC here, what do I get, Fcuking Benny and the Jets by Elton

Still laughing at this!

We'll have to come with an ultimate 20 minute FTP play list, not sure I could take the chance again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Careless Whisper's gotta be on there.

20min TT tunes:

Smashing Pumpkins- Bullet with Butterfly Wings
    4:30s
    Queens of the Stone Age- No one knows 4:15
    Black Sabbath "Paranoid" 2:40
    Hüsker Dü - New Day Rising 2:30
    Motörhead - Ace Of Spades 2:30
    Dead Kennedys - Forward To Death 1:20

First two songs have great thumping base and crashing drums, they should keep things level for the first half. Ozzy is great headbangin' and turbo is similar to headbangin'. Husker Du are just a great band and your heartbeat will sync with the drums. Ace of Spades is pure class. You'll be singing along with Jello. New Day Rising is repeated just to mess with your head for the final minute or so :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    20min TT tunes:

Smashing Pumpkins- Bullet with Butterfly Wings
    4:30s
    Queens of the Stone Age- No one knows 4:15
    Black Sabbath "Paranoid" 2:40
    Motörhead - Ace Of Spades 2:30
    Dead Kennedys - Forward To Death 1:20

First two songs have great thumping base and crashing drums, they should keep things level for the first half. Ozzy is great headbangin' and turbo is similar to headbangin'. Husker Du are just a great band and your heartbeat will sync with the drums. Ace of Spades is pure class. You'll be singing along with Jello. New Day Rising is repeated just to mess with your head for the final minute or so :)

And for the 5TT? :)

pgibbo wrote: »
    And for the 5TT? :)

This is only 3 minutes long, but its piercing music and the visuals will leave you with two hard minutes wondering what the f*** did I just watch? From a Zed and two Noughts.

Wednesday
    Run  -65min Z2 run around the Phoenix Park - 12k

Thursday
    Swim 40 mins 1.3km 400TT
    • 200 warm up
    • 12 x 25 off 45sec, every 4,8 & 12 @ 90%
    • 400TT - Plan was to hold 4 x 1.401st 100 - 1.37 2nd 100 - 1.45 3rd 100 - 1.48 4th 100 - 1.45400TT - 6.55. Bit appointed to be honest, 6.57 in Dec so not much improvement. No excuses really, 3rd 100 is where I lost it I think,hopefully I'll see a jump in February.

Friday

3D Swim - 2.2km
    400 warm up,
    12 x 25 over kicking drill off 60sec
    4x 50m all out off 2mins. Averaged 42/43sec for these.
    100 easy
    12 x 100m off 1.50(used pull buoy) Made all these concentrating on a quick turnover.

Bit of talking and plenty of recovery between the reps meant 2.2km but really enjoyed this session, felt great leaving. The 43 average should equate to a 3.05-3.10 200m, not sure I have a 200pb but I think I'll target this over the short term.

Saturday

Bike- 90 min turbo with 75min continuous tempo/sweet spot effort. Nothing to report.

Forgot to mention weighed myself on Monday, 78kgs on the button. Nothing like a gastric episode to help with the weight loss.

Rahney 5 mile tomorrow. Target is to go under 32mins. That's 6.19per mile or 3.55kms. I'll be on my limit here so we'll see what happens.

Sunday
    - Rahney 5 Mile 31.34

Headed out to Rahney early enough to collect the race number, rain was heavy enough but no wind. Never done the race before so didn't know what to expect. Race announcers kept going on about how great the field was so stayed a bit back. Plan was to go sub 32.00 so that translates to 6.19 per mile.

Bit of congestion at the start but this probably worked to my advantage as it kept me from charging off. 1st mile 6.16. Race opened up from here and there was plenty of room, picking plenty of punters off. 2nd 6.13. Next 2 mile went by fine, felt good, told myself to hold pace and be patient, 6.12 & 6.16. Started to pinch a bit leaving the main road in St Anne's but only 1 to go. Well supported race so this kept me going, 6.17.

Nice to finish the block on a bit of a high, keep the motivation up. Indicates the training is working and no need to over do it, just keep it consistent. This time last year I wasn't running at all through injury so happy out.

Monday - 30th Jan

Feeling the effects of yesterday's efforts. Quads a bit tender and body a bit tired. This didn't improve when I hit the water, sluggisssshhhhhh.

• 400 warm up
    • 12 x 200m. 6 with pull & 6 without. I did all of them with the pull buoy and took a minute after each 3. Started off 3.40, then 3.50, finished 4.00.
    • 100 back and Brest stroke

2.9k Total

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Sunday
    - Rahney 5 Mile 31.34

Headed out to Rahney early enough to collect the race number, rain was heavy enough but no wind. Never done the race before so didn't know what to expect. Race announcers kept going on about how great the field was so stayed a bit back. Plan was to go sub 32.00 so that translates to 6.19 per mile.

Bit of congestion at the start but this probably worked to my advantage as it kept me from charging off. 1st mile 6.16. Race opened up from here and there was plenty of room, picking plenty of punters off. 2nd 6.13. Next 2 mile went by fine, felt good, told myself to hold pace and be patient, 6.12 & 6.16. Started to pinch a bit leaving the main road in St Anne's but only 1 to go. Well supported race so this kept me going, 6.17.

Nice to finish the block on a bit of a high, keep the motivation up. Indicates the training is working and no need to over do it, just keep it consistent. This time last year I wasn't running at all through injury so happy out.

Nice going. I just looked at the results. nearly 200 people sub 30. Some savage times and athletes in that race

• Advertisement

pgibbo wrote: »
    Nice going. I just looked at the results. nearly 200 people sub 30. Some savage times and athletes in that race

Yeah, some proper runners lining out. Winners of this and that, i was 20 sec behind the gun time. Maybe next year

Advertisement