Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Challenging Times

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

Wednesday- Rest day. I won't bore you with excuses

Thursday
    Turbo - 75mins
    3 x 15mins over and under the main set

Friday
    3D Swim 65mins 2.2k
    The session was about controlling effort and not blowing yourself up in the first 200m, which I have done many times. Bit of explanation involved so not as much distance covered.

• 300m w up
    • 6 x 50m off 60 descending 1-3 x2
    • 6 x 100m off 2.00 as above
    • 5 x 200m off 4.00 as above

Ran out of time for the last 200.

Saturday
    Turbo - 2.5 hrs. First hour easy with a few sprints. Hit a 30sec best on Trainerroad. Then into 4 x15 min efforts varying from 95-99% FTP with 3 recovery. Also hit a best from 60mins

Straight into a tempo run 47mins/10k
    • 1 mile easy (8.27)
    • 30 min tempo (6.58, 6.46, 6.37, 6.49 +a bit)
    • 1 mile easy

Sunday

Long Run 1hr35mins, 17k on the button.

After a heavy enough day yesterday and a visit to my favourite Indian last night which was sitting nice and heavy on my stomach the pace was on the slow side of zone2.

Tipped around the Phoenix Park anyway, weather was a bit crap but got it done which was the main thing.

Bit of core work when I got back ( all 10 minutes of it)

Not a bad week, just over 10hrs, some good bike sessions. Missed s swim Wednesday which takes the gloss off it but that's the end of the chicken pox thank jasus

Bit of a catch up

Monday 6th March
    Swim 70 mins 2.6km
    6 x 200m the main set

Tuesday

Turbo 60 mins
    4x5mins at 108 %

RUN 45mins easy

Wednesday- Rest Day

Thursday
    Swim 60mins 2.6k
    400 warm up
    32 x 50m descending 1-4 x 8
    400 pull
    200 warm down

Long Run 10 miles 85 mins

Friday
    Cycle to work 45 easy

3D Swim 60mins 2.6k
    300 warm up
    3 x 100m off 1.50 x6) 60 sec between sets I think
    50 easy
    9 x 50 off 60 descending 1-3

Saturday
    Turbo 90mins very easy Z2. Alternating in aero position 10 on,10off
    Run 10 mins off bike

Sunday

NAAS DUATHLON
    Time 1.00.21, 7th overall. Race report to follow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Great result yesterday, if you had of either ran the whole run in your helmet or taken it off before you started the run you probably would have caught me. Good to see you getting reward for your training.

joey100 wrote: »
    Great result yesterday, if you had of either ran the whole run in your helmet or taken it off before you started the run you probably would have caught me. Good to see you getting reward for your training.

Shushhhh. Let's hope there are no pictures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Too late.

NAAS DUATHLON

Woke up with stiffness in the body but as the morning wore on and I was getting my gear ready for my 1st event( I repeat my 1st event of the year, more on that later) I started to look forward to the race. Got the bike off the turbo and pumped up the wheels, went for a little spin, everything felt good.

Bag was packed and I set off, pulled in a few 100 meters up the road and knew I was missing something but it wasn't until I was on the N7 that I realised my TI card was in the press, always something. Got there and luckily I knew Noel doing registration so no drama. Got set up and started to warm up.

After the briefing we headed to the start line and with no fuss 3,2,1 off ye go. Of course we were gone on 2 but what's a second between friends.

Run 1
    A few got out in front of me and pulled away. I just thought do your own thing, I was going just under 6min miles so that's really my limit so didn't push on any faster(mile 1= 5.55). Slowed a little but held my position for the second mile, garmin said 6.20 but my Run1 time was 11.57 so who knows, 14th

T1
    I'm usually ok in transition and this was no different. Helmet on, kick off the runners, bike shoes already attached to bike, go. 41 sec (joint 4th in transition). Picked up a few places

Bike
    Didn't bother with a drink or gels, just me. Picked off 3 lads early on the 1.5k down hill, turn right and the incline starts. On my own but I can see a few ahead and every time we hit a drag I gained a few meters.

About 2k to the turn around we come to a steep decline and all I'm thinking is we need to come back up that. Come to the round about and I actually feeling pretty good. Few lads including Joey heading the opposite way but they aren't that far ahead. Pick off one more and now we are back up the hill. 2 more including a clubmate.

Descending again and I have to back off a bit, the front wheel wobbles. Jeep and motorcycle official come by and I free wheel, if I go into the back of these I'm dead. Push on again and turn left back to punchestown. Joey just ahead now and I'm closing. Get the feet out of the shoes ready to run, hop off and I'm literally behind him. 33.36, 6th fastest bike and I'm in 6th now.

T2
    Here is where the fun starts. Flying through T2, dump bike, runners on, go. Next of all HELMET, HELMET. Ah ballix. Have to double back to take off the helmet. Joe is gone. Still joint 7th, 50sec but could have been a lot faster.

Run 2
    Get moving as best I can but get picked off by clubmate early on. Splits are 6.32 and 6.22 but no one else catches me although a couple are closing in. Empty the tank 1.00.21.

Just outside the hour but something for next year. Good bike and I felt strong as the race went on. It's actually my run that's let me down a bit but I won't go chasing top end speed until after Lisbon. Trainerroad seems to be paying dividends so I'll trust their plan for the next 8weeks. Now let's hope there are no pictures of helmetgate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Good racing J, good to see the consistency in training paying off in races. We will say no more about the helmet on the run though:pac:

Monday 13th
    Swim 65min 2.9k Feeling fairly good after yesterday.
    50 easy
    16 x50m every 4 fast
    4 x 200 off 3.45 pull buoy
    100 easy
    4 x 200 again
    200 easy
    4 x 25m with ankle band
    50 easy

Tuesday
    Turbo - 60 mins
    Main set 4x 7mins at 105% = 259 watts

Run off bike , 45mins easy

Wednesday

Swim 75mins 2.75k
    1000 skps
    3 x 50 off 55 sec then 100 off 2.00) x 5
    100 easy
    9 x 25 off 45sec every 3rd all out
    100 easy

Run Intervals 9k 47 mins
    15 easy
    4 x 4 mins @ 3.40 per km, 3 recovery
    Warm down

Slightly faster than last time. Intended to do a couple more but I was struggling. Decided to leave it at 4

25mins S&C

Thursday
    Bike - 90 min turbo with 75min continuous tempo / sweet sport.

Run - Straight into a tempo run. I was looking to dial in the race pace for Lisbon here and take note of the HR to see if its maintainable. Looking to break 1.40 in Lisbon so if I can hit 7.15/7.20 per mile that will equate to 1.36 - 1.38. I've heard the the run is slightly long and the bike is a tad short but nothing i can do about that.
    5 minutes easy
    5 miles @ 7.15 per mile. Got up to pace handy enough and felt comfortable, checked the HR and it seemed stable around 155bpm. I think that's going to be manageable.
    Warm down

Next week, everything going well I'll take it handy Monday and Tuesday and do a bit of a race prep day, maybe 2hrs at tempo and into 10 miles at 7.15 - 7.20. That should give me a good indication of where I'm at. My tempo power on the bike is 200-210 watts which is around 32km/hr (according to trainerroad virtual power). That would be slightly below the 34km/hr I'm targeting so if Wednesday goes ok ill push on the bike a bit. I seem to find a bit extra on race day, Naas being a good example but over 2hrs40 mins that could well be different.

Friday
    Bike Turbo 70mins - For the Triathlon Specialty phase of the training there are workout where you start at 60% FTP and every 10 minutes it goes up by 10% until you hit Threshold. Looks easy but constant build makes the last 10minutes killer. Got there and managed 40mins Aero.
    Run - Straight into a run. No heroics today, legs were feeling it. 60mins 11.2km

• Advertisement

Saturday
    Rest Day- Working Friday night plus doing the Godfocker for my brothers young lad

Sunday
    Turbo - 75mins easy endurance (just as well)

Run - 5.5k off the bike
    Main - Did 3 x 3 mins @ 3.40/3.45 with 2 recovery.

Happy with the pace considering it was off the bike and I had a couple of beers the day before

Week Year

Dist. Time. Dist. Time
    Swim. 5.65. 2hrs20. 70.25. 27.40
    Bike. 140.0 4hrs55. 1147.6. 40.50
    Run. 43.8 3hrs50. 375.9. 35.20
    S&C. 25

So after 3 solid enough weeks training I planned to continue on for another before taking a rest week but after the night shifts over the weekend the body started to go down.
    Monday 20th March
    Felt ok when I woke and went out for a long easy bike ended up 80k in 3hrs.20.
    Tuesday 
    Swim 3.0k - Felt tired

Wednesday
    Was gearing up for a run but was feeling flat. Decided to go for a little nap before only to wake up 3 hrs later.
    Thursday
    Swim 2.9k followed by Long Run 15miles with 13 of those at Lisbon race pace which is 4.40 km or 7.30 per mile. By Thursday evening im a wreck and booked to go the doctor the next day. Throat infection and 7 days antibiotics.
    So the week ended up being a rest week. No a complete disaster as I had 3 good weeks behind me so a short rest is probably no harm and its far enough away from Lisbon not to impact that. So a good time to get sick if that makes sense.

So after 3 solid enough weeks training I planned to continue on for another before taking a rest week but after the night shifts over the weekend the body started to go down.
    Monday 20th March
    Felt ok when I woke and went out for a long easy bike ended up 80k in 3hrs.20.
    Tuesday 
    Swim 3.0k - Felt tired

Wednesday
    Was gearing up for a run but was feeling flat. Decided to go for a little nap before only to wake up 3 hrs later.
    Thursday
    Swim 2.9k followed by Long Run 15miles with 13 of those at Lisbon race pace which is 4.40 km or 7.30 per mile. By Thursday evening im a wreck and booked to go the doctor the next day. Throat infection and 7 days antibiotics. Skipped 3D as I was only going to be dragging my arse around.

So the week ended up being a rest week. No a complete disaster as I had 3 good weeks behind me so a short rest is probably no harm and its far enough away from Lisbon not to impact that. So a good time to get sick if that makes sense.

Monday 27th & Tuesday 28th
    Again took it handy, I was off work sick so no training.

Wednesday
    Feeling good again and well rested so decided to do a bit of volume but keep the intensity low until I'm off the drugs.
    Swim 3.0k 65mins
    • 400 warm up
    • 8 x 50m descending 1-4 off 60
    • 19 x 100m off 1.55
    • 300 easy
    So this is an improvement from a  few weeks ago. Made sure I didnt go too hard for the first few coming in no faster than 1.50, first 8 felt comfortable. Then I was starting to work, coming in on 52/53. 17,18,19 i was pushing hard and number 19 might have been 56 sec. 

Overall happy with that one, Im 5 sec per 100 faster than before Dublin. Back then I did 20x 100 off 2.00 and in Dublin with a wetsuit my average was 1.50per 100. If I can hold 1.55's swim, then hopefully I can hold 1.45 with the wet-suit. I know it sounds a lot but I really benefit from having that lift. I'll put my theory to the rest before May.

Run - 65mins easy 10.5km

(PM) Bike - It was nice out so I just went for a spin, Blanch, Castleknock, then took in some of the DCM route, got a bit lost ended up at the back of Genuineness. 1hr.38mins 38km

Thursday

Bike - Turbo 90mins with 75 tempo/sweet spot
    Run - Straight into a 20 min easy run

Friday 31st
    3D Swim 60 mins 2.8k
    Race Prep First
    • 6 x 25 fast off 40 sec
    • 5 x 100m off 1.45 (Made the first two, then faded (1.50 would be more manageable)
    • 2 x 50m steady
    Then into 6 x 200m off 3.50. Never really felt great again after the 5 x 100 but got them done.
    16 x 50m off 60. Let someone else lead these out

Saturday

Training Day: Planned a training day to cover Swim, Bike and Run in prep for Lisbon

Swim: Been a while since i've been in the wetsuit so headed to the NAC early. 50m format, a few in the lane.
    • 400 warm up
    • 5 x 400 m with 30 sec recovery
    I was keeping an eye on the 100's and they were all coming in between 1.40 and 1.45 for all 400 efforts. So happy with that. Gaining 10s or more per 100 with the wetsuit on.

Bike - Quick change and out onto the tri bikes. Plenty of work in the Aero position. A good head wind as we headed towards Trim from Rathoath. Once we turned we were flying. Back towards Clonee and then I jumped on the N3 and home. 2hrs 30 minutes exactly 70k. Only downside was the lower back was tight towards the end.

Run - Straight into a run after changing. 10K at race pace or slightly faster ie 7.20 per mile. 1km warm down.                 11km. Working hard on the 10k but manageable. 51mins total.

Good day all in all, back eased out once I started running.

Sunday  - Rest day at Dublin Zoo

Monday
    Pre work swim 45mins, 2.0km. Still feeling it a bit from Saturday so took it handy enough
    • 400 w.up
    • 4 x 100 kick with fins
    • 400 with fins
    • 6 x 50 off 60sec
    • 400 pull
    • 100 easy
    Tuesday - Rest Day
    Had an interview Tuesday morning so consumed with nervous tension. Had one the previous Thursday as well so the last week or so I've been fairly distracted. 10years since I've done one so plenty of prep to do. Looking to get off shift work for various reasons but we'll see what happens. Mixed thoughts on the effect it will have on training and triathlon but ill just have to figure it out. My sleep routine will be better and I wont be eating at silly times during the night but on the flip side will i have the same time to train. We'll find out soon enough.

So Monday evening and Tuesday morning were out and when I finished work at 20.30 Tuesday i was wrecked more mentally than anything. I'd put going to an interview on the same level as going to a big race, that level of nerves. The thoughts of it are always worse than the actual experience and once your in there its relatively fine.

Wednesday Long Run 1hr45mins Approx 20k

On the back foot this week with nothing really Monday and Tuesday. Dropped kids off at grannys and got out for a long run. Forgot watch so just did 1.5 laps of the Phoenix Park. I have a 12k and a 8k loop and i did them both so ill call it 20k give or take.

Thursday
    Cycle to work + a bit 60mins 24k

Friday
    AM Cycle home + a bit 70 mins 28k

PM 3D Swim 2.6km
    100 easy
    Race prep
    6x25 off 45
    5x100 off 1.50 this time (these felt a lot better than last week, came in on 1.40, 1.42, 1.44, 1.45, 1.45)
    2x50m off 50 sec (45&48)

16 x100m off 2.00 dec 1-4
    150 easy

Saturday
    Long Bike 101km 4hrs moving time
    Finally got the Planet X together. Feels good, more compact. Ultegra is good too, really precise, makes a nice change from gears skipping. Headed for Sally's Gap, feffing freezing going through the Strawberry beds but finally warmed up once we hit Enbankment. On to Sally's Gap, at one stage I thought I'd been sold a pup on the small ring, turns out I'm just **** at climbing. Grinded my way up.

Back the way we came as it was a cracking day and had to get home. Cautious enough on the decents, just in case the handle bars came loose, or wheels. Amazing what goes through your head at 60k an hour. Good outing, be nice to keep them going through the summer.

Sunday
    Great Ireland Run
    30 min warm up 5.4k
    12 min cool down 2.0k

Race
    Decided to start at 4.00perkm pace a see what happens, Back end of the course is a bit of a bitch. If it all goes wrong it's still a good tempo workout

Was going well up to 7k and still on track but then I slowed slightly on the second drag, the 3rd hurt and sub 40 was gone. Could have flogged myself to the finish line for an extra few seconds but didn't see the point. Finished 40.28

Some good training there JM, the swim is coming along well. You forgot the most important part of the weekend though, the full matching bike, gear, helmet, gloves. The pictures are great! Bike looked well, probably a standard double crank on the front and a compact on your other bike if you notice the difference climbing.

Swimming has improved in the pool. Just finishing my 3rd year with interested, steady progress. Quickening up my turnover is the key gain this year. There might be another bit there on my current volume(6-9k a week)

Ah the gear, thought I might combat my inner Freddy with some matching gear. Just need to shave the legs and learn the difference between compact and standard chain rings

• Advertisement

Usually there is a number printed on the outside of the big chainring, sounds like it could be a 53 and look at the number on the one on your old bike. A double is usually a 53 and a compact a 50. These are the number of 'Teeth' on the front outside chainring. The less there are the easier the gear.

The opposite on the back. Some bikes will have a 32 as there easiest gear, others a 28 and some a 25, for the cassette ring closest to the wheel. The bigger the number of teeth on the back the easier the gear.

I've made it sound a lot more complicated than it is to be fair!

http://guides.wiggle.co.uk/chainsets-buying-guide

Thanks for the education, just checked there, 50/34 with a 28 on the back and the new bike 53/39 with a 25 on the back.

Felt like I was swimming in soup, some lad with a granny ring spinning away up ahead and I was standing in my easiest gear.

I'll preempt your next comment by saying if Grainne see's any more gear coming through the door she'll him the roof. She seen me in the gear Saturday and said where did you get all that.
    "Ah, it came with the bike". Que lots of laughing

I'll just have to get stronger

Big difference in the gearing there alright. You could look at putting a 28 on the back of the new bike to give you some more gears but might have to look at chain length then. that would be the cheapest way to do it, or you could just grin and bear it! I use a 53 on the front with a 25 on the back, don't find it too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

rooneyjm wrote: »
    Quickening up my turnover is the key gain this year.

How do you purpose to do that? That's were I have loads of room for improvement. Do you know your current stroke rate? Mine is 44.

Hey Jonathan.Some god training going on in here, well doe on the 10km. The back end of the course is a bitch!

How do you purpose to do that? That's were I have loads of room for improvement. Do you know your current stroke rate? Mine is 44.

Hey Jonathan.Some god training going on in here, well doe on the 10km. The back end of the course is a bitch!

Well I've started, interested pointed to it as an area for gains this time last year. I was pausing at the front end of my stroke. Yeah it was probably the same 44.

Got myself a Fins tempo trainer to start with, found that a really useful tool and actually used in it in Dublin 70.3, worked well and u just get into a rhythm. Only problem is they aren't very reliable and had to get 2 since.

Being aware of it helps and probably a lot of interested homework are quick sets, 50s and 100s so that reinforces it and lends itself to keeping the arms moving. I use the pull buoy a bit and that allows me to just focus on the turnover only, I don't get tired when I use it so again I can keep them turning over for longer. I do catch myself falling back into my old ways from time to time but overall I've increased it to 48ish.

That's why I think I can get a bit faster again on the same time input, increase the stroke rate again( and get a kick)

Monday 10th April T - 4weeks

Swim 2.8k 70mins
    Feeling the effects of the weekend so took it handy enough
    800 skps
    5 x 400m with pull

Run 30 mins v.easy run 5k

S&C 20mins

Well I've started, interested pointed to it as an area for gains this time last year. I was pausing at the front end of my stroke. Yeah it was probably the same 44.

Got myself a Fins tempo trainer to start with, found that a really useful tool and actually used in it in Dublin 70.3, worked well and u just get into a rhythm. Only problem is they aren't very reliable and had to get 2 since.

Being aware of it helps and probably a lot of interested homework are quick sets, 50s and 100s so that reinforces it and lends itself to keeping the arms moving. I use the pull buoy a bit and that allows me to just focus on the turnover only, I don't get tired when I use it so again I can keep them turning over for longer. I do catch myself falling back into my old ways from time to time but overall I've increased it to 48ish.

That's why I think I can get a bit faster again on the same time input, increase the stroke rate again( and get a kick)

Great. Thanks for that man. I've been considering getting a Finis Tempo trainer for a while now. As you say, being aware is half the battle.

Tuesday
    Turbo 115 minutes with 90@ tempo/sweet spot

Wednesday
    AM - Swim 2.6k
    400 warm up
    4x50 off 60
    3x100m off 1.50) x 5, 100 rec between each. 1st set just Swim then the rest with pull buoy.

PM - Run home from work 90 mins. No garmin but it about 17km

Thursday
    Cycle to work + a bit 60 mins
    Cycle home + a bit 55 mins

Friday
    Cycle to work + 55 mins
    RUN 5k easy, 25 mins

Tomorrow is Nenagh triathlon, 1.13 last year. I had a fairly bad run leg last year so looking to rectify that. Hopefully I can knock a couple of minutes out of 1.13

Tuesday
    Turbo 115 minutes with 90@ tempo/sweet spot

Wednesday
    AM - Swim 2.6k
    400 warm up
    4x50 off 60
    3x100m off 1.50) x 5, 100 rec between each. 1st set just Swim then the rest with pull buoy.

PM - Run home from work 90 mins. No garmin but it about 17km

Thursday
    Cycle to work + a bit 60 mins
    Cycle home + a bit 55 mins

Friday
    Cycle to work + 55 mins
    RUN 5k easy, 25 mins

Tomorrow is Nenagh triathlon, 1.13 last year. I had a fairly bad run leg last year so looking to rectify that. Hopefully I can knock a couple of minutes out of 1.13

Goof luck tomorrow dude!

• Advertisement

North Tipp Sprint

As normal cut it close enough with the registration, fairly relaxed race so no hassle. Got racked and then I moved. Transition wasn't neutralised which I find weird for NS but whatever. Allocated wave 6 so a bit of waiting around. Then the chess game of who goes first. I negotiated 3rd so happy enough.

We kick off and the guy in first opens a bit of a lead, 2nd is moving well enough and I'm comfortable so I stay put for the whole lot. On reflection maybe I should have gambled and went 2nd. Jumped out at 13.08 and crossed the mat at 13.26, 10 slower than last yr but much fresher.

Grabbed the bike and set off, clubmate passed me early and we were fairly close all the way to the finish line. Out and back with head wind on the way back.

Little bit of drafting from a few punters but I stayed out the back of it. As we came to the end I got myself ready and hit the dismount line. Got in and out of T2 quick enough. Hit the run first of the group that came in tgh. Within the first few 100 meters. Clubmate passed me again and I feared the worst. Just held on to him and when we hit the incline I got a second wind and passed him again. Feeling good now I pressed on to the end.

Finished 1.11.03 35th place. 52nd last year in 1.13.27 so a good improvement. Minute quicker on the bike and 1.30ish on the run. Probably should have gambled on my swim but happy enough overall

Advertisement