Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leap card machines on Dublin Bus?

• 11-12-2016 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi, I recently moved to Dublin for college and have a child's leap card, when using Dublin Bus, which Leap card machine do I use? Is it either? I've seen people (with leap cards) queue for the machine near the driver rather than using the other one.. also when people queue for the driver's one they say where they're going? This is probably a really silly question! :rolleyes: Thanks. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

user53 wrote: »
    Hi, I recently moved to Dublin for college and have a child's leap card, when using Dublin Bus, which Leap card machine do I use? Is it either? I've seen people (with leap cards) queue for the machine near the driver rather than using the other one.. also when people queue for the driver's one they say where they're going? This is probably a really silly question! :rolleyes: Thanks. :)

The pillar one to the right will charge you full wack, if you have a credit based leap card. The driver one allows you to specify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭user53

Thank you Saipanne :)

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

Thank you Saipanne :)

It depends how far you are going. Unlike the rail services you don't tag off you pay for the full journey at the start (stupidly)
    So if you are going more than 13 stops OR using a prepaid ticket on the Leap card (like a 5 day student pass) OR you've already hit the daily cap (spent more than €6.90) use the machine on the right.

Going a shorter distance use the driver machine, slap the card on the bullseye and tell the driver where you're going they'll deduct the right fare

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Incidentally I heard on the grapevine the ticket machines are going to be refurbished and cleaned on the bus, despite being hideously out of date. It's being called a mid life-refresh which is quite scary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Bear in mind that a Child Leap Card is not a Student Leap Card so it may not cover you for your trips or load on student pass tickets. See the below links for more details.

https://about.leapcard.ie/about/card-ticket-types/child-leap-card

http://www.studentleapcard.ie/#about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

devnull wrote: »
    It's being called a mid life-refresh which is quite scary.

Midlife! Jasus they are 10 years obsolete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

XPS_Zero wrote: »
    It depends how far you are going. Unlike the rail services you don't tag off you pay for the full journey at the start (stupidly)
    So if you are going more than 13 stops OR using a prepaid ticket on the Leap card (like a 5 day student pass) OR you've already hit the daily cap (spent more than €6.90) use the machine on the right.

Going a shorter distance use the driver machine, slap the card on the bullseye and tell the driver where you're going they'll deduct the right fare

Do you mean 13 stages?

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

School Hours fare apply up to 19:00hrs Monday to Friday and 13:30hrs on Saturday. Please validate your Leap Card once at the remote validator to avail of the School Hours fare of €0.79 per journey.

If you go to the driver during these hours you'll get charged the full fare, which is €0.90 up to 7 stages, €1.10 for 8+ stages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Bray Head

This is a genuine question which is not at all clear to the occasional or new user.

Tens of thousands of people migrate to Dublin every year and have to figure this stuff out.

It just goes to show how needlessly complicated the fare and ticketing system on Dublin Bus is.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭pclive

Will this refurb make them any faster.....they are soooooooooo slow

• Advertisement

No, it's essentially replacing faulty displays, cleaning them, and replacing anything damaged or not full working, no change to the machines themselves.

No, it's essentially replacing faulty displays, cleaning them, and replacing anything damaged or not full working, no change to the machines themselves.

Polishing turds eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Should this not happen as the faults arise?

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Should this not happen as the faults arise?

http://dublinbusdrivers.com/Wayfarer_Machines.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,909 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If the "new memory board" expands the sodding operational RAM the speed issues may be resolved.

Even with transferring from retired vehicles I believe the fleet has grown slightly over time - they are clearly still getting new ones from Parkeon.

L1011 wrote: »
    If the "new memory board" expands the sodding operational RAM the speed issues may be resolved.

The machines cannot take any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

Do you mean 13 stages?

Tell me they're the same thing or I'm going to DBhead office and punching their general manager until my arms tire

Our systems so f____g stupid, let's just abolish this illogical patchwork and go with one integrated zonal system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

XPS_Zero wrote: »
    Tell me they're the same thing or I'm going to DBhead office and punching their general manager until my arms tire

Our systems so f____g stupid, let's just abolish this illogical patchwork and go with one integrated zonal system.

SIMPLES.....

Every Stage is a Bus Stop,but every Bus Stop,is NOT a Stage.....geddit :confused:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭StreetLight

AlekSmart wrote: »
    SIMPLES.....

Every Stage is a Bus Stop,but every Bus Stop,is NOT a Stage.....geddit :confused:

Except when it's a Virtual Stop on the M50 (76A) or Chapelizod Bypass (25B). ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭Tow

Midlife! Jasus they are 10 years obsolete

10 Years... They are powered by a 386sx processor!

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Bray Head wrote: »
    This is a genuine question which is not at all clear to the occasional or new user.

Tens of thousands of people migrate to Dublin every year and have to figure this stuff out.

It just goes to show how needlessly complicated the fare and ticketing system on Dublin Bus is.

You reckon Dubliners understand the DB fare system??

Tow wrote: »
    10 Years... They are powered by a 386sx processor!

The sx! Excellent chip but I'm holding out for the 486

Advertisement