Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Home Heating Controls

Options
  • 11-12-2016 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Recently purchased a new house, and looking at upgrading the heating controls.

We have timer controls for the heating, and also for the water.
    I have attached a few pics of the heating controls in place.

The three switches are for each floor (3rd floor is converted attic).
    My problem is that the timer does not control each floor separately. When the heating is scheduled to come on, only the rads on the floors switched ON will kick in.

Ideally what I would like to implement is some kind of zoned heating, along the lines of:
    Ground floor between 5pm and 8pm,
    2nd floor from 8pm and 11pm,
    Converted Attic 3-4 times a week for a couple of hours.

Is that possible ? What would I need to get. Would a nest heating control help here ?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

What you will need to get is this one here:

That system / setup will give you full control on all the radiators,by zone,by room,by each individual unit.
    Can be "scheduled" with a highly personalised custom scenario.

more info :

..and...

For a complete and crazy DIY adventure..you can watch and follow this clip:

!

Enjoy it.

PS
    Those pictures are too big for this boards.
    Also,the mistery behind each plasic cover,what cables,what connections...dunno,dont wanna say anything just in case !
    You will need someone that knows his "spark" ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭GopErthike

meercat wrote: »

I would strongly advise you not to fit that. Technology that is effectively 20 years old.

You need to go with the Honeywell Evo.
    Or else a Climote or Nest. But you would need to check that it is wired and piped correctly. It needs to be fully interlocked so when you turn on one zone, only it comes on.

It is not always as simple as just changing the control panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭wandererz

That looks like quite an expensive option.

I went with Heatmiser.

Attached is an image of the Heatmiser Neo-hw thermostat that i used for my electric hot water boiler. (It's just an electronic timer.)

The rest of the house is electric underfloor heating so i have Heatmiser thermostat timers for them as well.

The electrician installed it with a contactor due to the difference in voltage to prevent it burning out. (that's the item on the far right).

You will need three, one for each floor.

Here is where it gets interesting though. They are wireless timers so can connect to a Heatmiser Neo Wireless Smart Hub.

Once connected, you can access via the app on your phones and tablets.

Hence anytime control anywhere.

In the attached image, the clock to the left is the old style timer that is now unused.
    To the right is the new electronic clock with display. I never bother looking at the display. Everything is done via the app.

What type of heating system do you have?

Hi,

From an electric timer to an indvidual radiator / zone,with touch and app control is like having a budget for a bicycle but you want a Rolls Royce. I guess each one with his own best working situation ...

Have fun.

• Advertisement

rolion wrote: »
    Hi,

From an electric timer to an indvidual radiator / zone,with touch and app control is like having a budget for a bicycle but you want a Rolls Royce. I guess each one with his own best working situation ...

Have fun.

From an electric timer to an indvidual radiator / zone, with touch and app control is like having a bicycle but changing to a Rolls Royce.

I guess your point would be valid if someone mentioned budget. I didn't see that bit.
    Better controls means lower fuel bills. One step back, two forward if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭bellucio

Thanks to everyone for the advice so far! And apologies for not getting back sooner ;)

To be honest, I'm not looking for something totally extravagant, such as the full HoneyWell solution with rad controls etc. Although it does looks cool :) Thanks rolion!

I would be looking for something that could be integrated into a smart home - so the "7 day digital programmer" is probably out as well. Thanks anyway meercat.

I didn't mention budget at the outset, but what I would be hoping to spend is less that €500 (give or take a bit!)
    Not anybit good on the sparky side, so would be looking at pro to do it...

@Wandererz
    I imagine at the time it was an expensive option all right. The house is oil heating, with rads in all rooms. No underfloor.
    Do you mind me asking how much something like your HeatMiser set you back ?

My main goal with changing this setup is so that I dont have to be heating downstairs and the bedrooms upstairs at the same time. Obviously both zones are needed at generally different time. Close second goal is to allow it to be used from app, and not depend on old school timers.

I'm guessing there must be some kind of zoning in place, considering there is a switch for each floor ?

Just to mention that my last gas bill,even been a little bit higher than i expected, is €80 less than the one from last year,same period.

the ONLY diference in consumption pattern ... is the EvoHome !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

GopErthike wrote: »
    I would strongly advise you not to fit that. Technology that is effectively 20 years old.

Imagine eliminating all technology over 20 years old. You would be walking everywhere.

Bruthal wrote: »
    Imagine eliminating all technology over 20 years old. You would be walking everywhere.

Yeah, but do you think anyone would want an iPhone 7 plus in 20 years? That's kinda my point. But hey, I think you knew that.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement