Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mindstorms - where to start?

Options
  • 11-12-2016 9:14pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm having a look at the Mindstorms models on the Lego website and it seems fascinating but I really have no idea where to start with kits.

Firstly, for a nine year old lego fan with no programming knowledge, what kind of kits would be a good place to start? It would need to be challenging but not daunting. He'd have access to an android tablet and it would be nice if he could learn some programming basics with it.

It all seem a little pricey however. Is there anything at all available around the 100 euro mark?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49 Oliver Beetroot

I'm having a look at the Mindstorms models on the Lego website and it seems fascinating but I really have no idea where to start with kits.

Firstly, for a nine year old lego fan with no programming knowledge, what kind of kits would be a good place to start? It would need to be challenging but not daunting. He'd have access to an android tablet and it would be nice if he could learn some programming basics with it.

It all seem a little pricey however. Is there anything at all available around the 100 euro mark?

The entry level EV3 set is available for approx EUR 250 from Amazon, you can also get a second hand set off eBay for less. The expensive part is the programmable brick, then the motors and sensors, these account for much of the cost. You can download instructions for a bunch of sets and there are a few books available e.g. From Amazon.

Personally I would get a regular technic set (e.g. the Tractor for EUR 120 in Smyths) and take it from there if he / she has or takes an interest in Technics.

Advertisement