Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books for niece

Options
  • 11-12-2016 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've got a 3.5yo niece that I would like to get a book or two for this Christmas. I've no ideas what her likes or dislikes are. She has a slightly older brother too which I would like to be included too if possible, but she is priority. :)

Any suggestions as to what this age group like - sorry I've no ideas as to what the correct forum for this post should be!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Queenalocin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Any Julia Donaldson books
    they are brilliant

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

"Farmer Duck" and other books by Martin Waddell.
    "We're Going on a Bear Hunt" by Michael Rosen.
    “Where the Wild Things Are” by Maurice Sendak.
    "Dear Zoo" by Rod Campell.“
    Goodnight Moon” by Margaret Wise Brown and Clement Hurd
    The Cat in the Hat”, “Green Eggs and Ham” and other books by Dr Suess.
    "Room on the Broom” “The Gruffalo “ “A Squash and a Squeeze” and other books by Julia Donaldson.
    "The Tiger Who Came to Tea " by Judith Kerr.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Check out thebookpeople.co.uk.

They are doing great value multi-packs such as the below.

https://www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/qs_product_tbp?productId=252981&storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=100&searchTerm=julia+donaldsen

I got a peppa pig pack of books and a Julia Donaldsen pack of books and they are great quality. They are not hardback though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Any Julia Donaldson books - that's all my son would read at that age (well he's 4.5 now, so not that much older - he has now achieved full submersion into the Thomas the Tank Engine world).

They are fantastic and a pleasure to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Left it late!
    Went shopping today and got the pingín book.
    Hopefully it will be okay.

As an aside how much is a reasonable amount to spend on a God child?

I'm not really much into presents and suchlike, so trying not to come across as scrooge but not wanting to buy a load of stuff or expense either.

Thanks for the recommendations.

• Administrators Posts: 14,034 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

It's genuinely not about how much, it's about how relevant the present is to the child. Are the parents the kind to have picked you for your gift giving abilities, or because they wanted you to be a special person in their child's life?

My son's Godfather got him the Beano Annual last year, because it's what my son wanted. This year my daughter asked her Godmother for a Jacqueline Wilson book. I rather Godparents don't splash out on expensive presents. People have enough to be doing with their money. My children don't need anything, and Santy is more than generous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Rosie Gold

Left it late!
    Went shopping today and got the pingín book.
    Hopefully it will be okay.

As an aside how much is a reasonable amount to spend on a God child?

I'm not really much into presents and suchlike, so trying not to come across as scrooge but not wanting to buy a load of stuff or expense either.

Thanks for the recommendations.

I do think it's true that the best thing you will ever do for a child is give them your time or give them a new experience. My sister is the best for this, she doesn't have much money but she takes my daughter on wee trips every now and again. The last time she visited, she took my daughter to the shop, bought a cheap bread roll and went down to the local river and fed the ducks. You couldn't have bought the giggles and laughs from my daughter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Rosie Gold

Sorry I completely forgot what I bought my own 3.5 year old. The 10 little pirates/monsters/princesses/dinosaurs/elves books by Mike Brownlow are gorgeous. Great for counting and the vocabulary in them is great. They seem to have only been published this year. Sorry it's late but be great for a birthday present either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement