Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bizarre claims by deportment and grooming women

• 11-12-2016 11:25pm
    Site Banned Posts: 391 ✭✭

Years back in transition year, we were given a so called deportment and grooming lecture by these women. The principal spoke very highly of them. During one part of the talk, they said that all people can be divided into two categories. They then looked at us briefly, individually, and told us to either go to the left or right side of the room. They then said that everyone on one side were "cold blooded", and that everybody on the other side were "warm blooded".

I was inclined to think "that's strange", since we're all warm blooded and would have assumed we'd all have the same temperature. They then listed a bunch of personality traits that each group then to have... which I forget. I do remember that at one point they said that they're are more warm blooded millionaires. One of the ladies was based in Cobh, and worked in some kind of beauty thing or other.

The more time has passed since then, the more I'm inclined to think these ladies were over estimating themselves, and that it was most likely some kind of pseudo science. Since I remember it every now and then, I'd better ask, has anyone else ever come across such stuff and what in the name of God were they basing this on?

I've since found her - Claire Cullinane, a model trainer!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/claire-cullinane-3187ba1

Comments

I wonder if James Bond is warm-blooded or cold-hearted.

Are you sure they weren't sorting you into warm skin tones vs cool skin tones? I hear that's a thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49 Oliver Beetroot

Were they from the Otara Millionaires Club?

• Site Banned Posts: 391 ✭✭paralysed

Candie wrote: »

Are you sure they weren't sorting you into warm skin tones vs cool skin tones? I hear that's a thing.
    No it was definitely warm blooded that they said.

We're moving on from James Bond now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭Vic_08

paralysed wrote: »
    Years back in transition year, we were given a so called deportment and grooming lecture by these women. The principal spoke very highly of them. During one part of the talk, they said that all people can be divided into two categories. They then looked at us briefly, individually, and told us to either go to the left or right side of the room. They then said that everyone on one side were "cold blooded", and that everybody on the other side were "warm blooded".

I was inclined to think "that's strange, since we're all warm blooded" and would have assumed we'd all have the same temperature. They then listed a bunch of personality traits that each group then to have... which I forget. I do remember that at one point they said that they're are more warm blooded millionaires. One of the ladies was based in Cobh, and worked in some kind of beauty thing or other.

The more time has passed since then, the more I'm inclined to think these ladies were over estimating themselves, and that it was most likely some kind of pseudo science. Since I remember it every now and then, I'd better ask, has anyone else ever come across such stuff and what in the name of God were they basing this on?

That I'd expect, probably based on some obscure quote from the bibble or some other fantasy literature.

Vic_08 wrote: »
    That I'd expect, probably based on some obscure quote from the bibble or some other fantasy literature.
    At the time I was inclined to think they were genuine because of the way the principal spoke about them. But come to think of it, many of the of the science teachers might have disagreed with them being there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Years back......

50 years ago?

I didnt even know what deportment is till I googled it just now.

Firstly I though you might be talking about deporting trafficked women. Then I thought maybe you were talking about a Dublin 4 description of the Department of justice.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

We're halfway there.

Sounds like a load of bunkum that your principle buys into. I'd pay it no attention or give it a second thought. We're warm-blooded mammals, no exceptions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Candie wrote: »

Warm blooded. Roasting here with the heat on and the mild weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Were they from the Otara Millionaires Club?

How bizzare.

Ah wait, that was the other crowd...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Fluffy Cat 88

Deportment! Wasn't that when one walked across a room balancing ones book on ones head?

Load of cobblers old chum. What ho! Jolly good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I'm hot blooded

50 years ago?

I didnt even know what deportment is till I googled it just now.

Firstly I though you might be talking about deporting trafficked women. Then I thought maybe you were talking about a Dublin 4 description of the Department of justice.
    I'm actually gonna google it there meself!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49 Oliver Beetroot

retalivity wrote: »
    How bizzare.

Ah wait, that was the other crowd...

No, right first time. :)

Grooming is about how one presents oneself, deportment is about how one carries oneself. I don't see what the temperature of your blood has to do with either.

Apart from being dead if it's cold, that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Tristrams Shandied

Deportment! Wasn't that when one walked across a room balancing ones book on ones head?

We had to do that in first year in our school in the assembly hall watched like a hawk by a beady-eyed nun and the rest of our fellow classmates waiting to see who dropped the book first. Good training for walking the straight line in a drink drive test which thankfully I've never had to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

I keep reading deportment as department in a D4 accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

gramar wrote: »
    I keep reading deportment as department in a D4 accent.

Thats what I just said

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Thats what I just said

You are a parrot aren't you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I am guessing that they mean skin tone and maybe the warm bloodied thing comes from whether you veins appear blue or not at your wrist. (And they are crap at communication). I did one of these courses many years ago while in transition years and we had something very similar. It had to do with picking colour palettes for clothes and makeup. (Course was a money making racket if I remember correctly).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

What the fluck is this thread all about???????

• Advertisement

What the fluck is this thread all about???????
    If you have to ask then you are clearly cold blooded...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

They were sorting you into Slytherin or Hufflepuffs.

Miaireland wrote: »
    (And they are crap at communication)
    Who? cold blooded people, or deportment grooming people?

Generation X'er goes off to Google "safe space" and "libtard".

:)

Generation X'er goes off to Google "safe space" and "libtard".

:)
    What? Was that an insult? Are u insulting me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

The grooming people!

What? Was that an insult? Are u insulting me?

Don't know yet - (googles) em... yep!

Snowflake

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Never!!

She actually died since I put up this thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

She actually died since I put up this thread!

Damn you, 2016! 😡

Advertisement