Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent allowance need advice

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Someday soon, having seen your last post, I now think that you need to start by visiting your GP - or even better which ever health professional has been helping you with the depression.

Ask them if they can refer you to any housing assistance.

Also, get a letter for the council from them, outlining the situation and your medical needs. Because you have a disability (yes, depression counts as a disability) there are housing options available to you which aren't available to other people your age. But the council can only offer you these if they have a letter about your needs.

Then take the letter to the council.

Also, try and think if there are any other options: are there any friends who might be able to help (I know it's a long shot, but you need to try). Did your GF take the kids to church to make their communion - can you ask the priest if he knows anyone who's looking for a lodger? Have you been to any depression support groups, can you go back there again and ask if anyone knows of something? Etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Someday soon

Thank you for your advice.

<medical discussion snipped>

I really don't think that the council would have anything to offer me. I know how bad the housing situation is and how many people are homeless especially families.

I don't have any friends left as over the years they drifted away as I shut myself off from everybody.

I haven't been to any support groups. I was offered counselling but I was so bad that I just didn't go to any of the appointments.

I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

This forum is accommodation and property and the thread is about rent allowance. Medical advice is against Boards rules and discussing medical conditions and giving relationship advice is beyond the remit of the forum. I know you're trying to help the OP but please stick to the topic at hand ie rent allowance /accommodation. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

To the OP. My Brother was in a very similar situation. He has 2 kids with his wife. They separated nearly 5 years ago. She left with the kids and took up a rented apartment with rent allowance, leaving my Brother to fend for himself. She also took the deposit and anything of any value....but the important part is that he went onto the council list Dublin City North and waited until last week to finally get council accommodation. He couldn't find anywhere with rent allowance. He got custody of one of his children 6 months ago and was offered the HAP scheme....but nothing was available, despite the considerable sum available to him under the scheme. There was simply no accommodation available to him as a single man. Having his son under his custody changed this and he got housed relatively quickly after that. He also had family to support him through the bad times and give him a bed, or couch to sleep on.

Your main priority is to seek help now and not just with housing. You've realised there needs to be change, so use this to change your life for you and your children. Good luck.

Advertisement