Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with 'New entrant to public sector' classification

Options
  • 12-12-2016 2:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Not sure if this thread is in the right forum, but thought I'd chance my arm here....

I do stints of short term employment twice a year supervising university exams. These posts usually last about 2 weeks in total.

Since I commenced this post, I have been on the 'new entrants public sector' rate of pay. However, I'm not a new entrant to the public sector as I previously had a summer office job in a public sector office circa 2007/2008.

I queried this with the company who provided me with the contract for this supervision role. They stated that because I wasn't employed within the education sector (or indeed in the same field of work - exam supervision) in the public service, I don't qualify for the higher rate of pay.

Thus, I would just like to query if the above information is correct?

(As a teen I worked as a supervisor for leaving cert exams, but I'm not sure if that counts)

Tnks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ask your union.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Er... I don't have a union. This is just short term employment post. I essentially get contracted for approx 2 times a year - summer & Christmas - and then 'let go' from the position when my 2 weeks are completed......

I don't have any other form of employment at present (I'm a student).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Its likely that you would have had to have been in a permanent, established position to be considered an "existing public servant"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Since I commenced this post, I have been on the 'new entrants public sector' rate of pay. However, I'm not a new entrant to the public sector as I previously had a summer office job in a public sector office circa 2007/2008.

Are you really trying to suggest that a 2 week summer job 8 years ago should move you out of the newbie bracket?

Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I've been a civil servant since 2010 and I'm still classed as a "New Entrant". It's just a classification relating to PRSI, pension, etc., etc.

I would presume the Public Sector role you are in is similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

New Entrant is just a classification relating to PRSI etc. I joined in 2010 and am considered a New Entrant. It's just the terminology they use.

Advertisement