Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hosting Node JS Apps

Options
  • 12-12-2016 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone,

wondering if anyone has any advice about hosting node js apps. I'm currently looking at digital ocean but I notice that it requires an absolute ton of setup for basic security. I wouldn't be anywhere near a beginner never mind an expert in server side security.

Anyone recommend a one for all package that could host something like this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

I presume you mean Digital Ocean? That's what I am using for personal projects at the moment. If you are not comfortable configuring the deployment, maybe look into Modulus or Heroku? Will cost a bit more though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

I presume you mean Digital Ocean? That's what I am using for personal projects at the moment. If you are not comfortable configuring the deployment, maybe look into Modulus or Heroku? Will cost a bit more though.

Yep meant digital ocean! long night trying to figure it all out! i know heroku gets much more expensive a lot faster. Haven't heard of modulus though cheers for that! :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Have a look at WebFaction, even on their shared plan you can do some interesting stuff:  Eddies.  This is actually a standalone web server listening on port to which their web environment forwards requests, each session gets a clone of the database so your edits will not impact other users and your changes are discarded after your session ends.
    Here is the documentation on running node applications.

Do any of the managed solutions offer an easy way to deploy a node app configured to run behind a reverse proxy (NGINX or similar)?

Do any of the managed solutions offer an easy way to deploy a node app configured to run behind a reverse proxy (NGINX or similar)?
    Yes that is exactly what is happening with the demo application above, although it is a custom application (binary) rather than a node app.  Perhaps the image from their documentation can help:
    inside-the-server.png
    Disclosure: I'm not associated with Webfaction in any way.  Just a happy customer.

• Advertisement

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Yes that is exactly what is happening with the demo application above, although it is a custom application (binary) rather than a node app.

Ah interesting... yeah that wasn't clear from the node app docs. Nice that it's by default. With Heroku you have to jump through a few hoops to get this.

It is also very easy to install your own SSL certs etc.  And they also support Lets Encrypt SSL certs:
    https://cpbotha.net/2016/07/18/installing-free-lets-encrypt-ssl-certificates-on-webfaction-in-3-easy-steps/

Advertisement