Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSD for OS disk upgrade

Options
  • 12-12-2016 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi folks,
    Looking into replacing my standard 500GB OS HDD with an SSD for more speedy OS handling. All of my media/gaming/other crap will be staying put on normal HDDs.

Any recommendations on a reliable/not stupidly priced SSDs from you lot? Going into a tower so I guess Ill also need a bracket for the SSD too so that it can sit in one of my 3.5" bays. Also doesnt necessarily need to be 500GB+. A 250 would probably work with a little tidy up work.
    Cheers,
    Mark

Mobo: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 AMD 990FX (Socket AM3+) DDR3
    CPU: AMD Piledriver FX-8 Eight Core 8350 Black Edition 4.00GHz (Socket AM3+) Processor
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C10 1600MHz Dual Channel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

you won't need a bracket, I have mine in 3.5" bays but lots of people just have them hanging / taped inside, so save yourself 5 quid or whatever for a bracket.

what kind of budget, would this be ok? https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01IAGSD68/?tag=pcp05-21 it went down to 93 euro or something for black friday so you could wait for something similar again. and likewise there's the 275gb version but that is at a strangely high price at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Yeah I've a few of them just hanging off one side, just screw them on one side and they'll be fine once you don't swing the case around too much. SSDs are silly light so the weight won't do any harm

• Registered Users Posts: 7 MarkBradley

you won't need a bracket, I have mine in 3.5" bays but lots of people just have them hanging / taped inside, so save yourself 5 quid or whatever for a bracket.

what kind of budget, would this be ok? https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01IAGSD68/?tag=pcp05-21 it went down to 93 euro or something for black friday so you could wait for something similar again. and likewise there's the 275gb version but that is at a strangely high price at the moment

How do Crucial do on the reliability standard? Samsung seems to be the go to for this aspect.

Price wise this seems fairly solid. Was expecting around about this price for a smaller size bracket so this one works.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I'm not sure about their reliability but just from googling and looking at amazon reviews quickly there doesn't seem to be any issue with out of the ordinary failures etc.. I have two samsung ssds but they are pros, I'd say samsung evos are probably directly comparable to the crucial mx.

it has a three year warranty so I wouldn't be too worried, if an ssd is going to fail it'll fail way before 3 years IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

How do Crucial do on the reliability standard? Samsung seems to be the go to for this aspect.

Price wise this seems fairly solid. Was expecting around about this price for a smaller size bracket so this one works.
    I have some of the older crucial drives (m4) for maybe 5 years or so and have been faultless. That said I have also had Samsung and Kingston drives for similar periods without fault. Haven't had any ssd failures, just one DOA (sandisk), but that happens, wouldn't reflect the brand reliability I would imagine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 MarkBradley

I'm not sure about their reliability but just from googling and looking at amazon reviews quickly there doesn't seem to be any issue with out of the ordinary failures etc.. I have two samsung ssds but they are pros, I'd say samsung evos are probably directly comparable to the crucial mx.

it has a three year warranty so I wouldn't be too worried, if an ssd is going to fail it'll fail way before 3 years IMO
    Lu Tze wrote: »
    I have some of the older crucial drives (m4) for maybe 5 years or so and have been faultless. That said I have also had Samsung and Kingston drives for similar periods without fault. Haven't had any ssd failures, just one DOA (sandisk), but that happens, wouldn't reflect the brand reliability I would imagine

Thanks guys. Ive always found Crucial decently reliable in the RAM game so would make sense that they had a half decent rep in SSDs too.

DOA I can deal with. Problem is when you push data onto it, run it briefly and it dies a death.

Comparison Im running right now is the Crucial MX300 525 and Samsung 850 Evo 500. Samsung seems better in alot of specs, and a longer warranty but a little pricier. Views?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

It depends what you are doing with it, i dont really see any difference day to day between the older slower SSDs and the newer faster ones as i dont tend to be doing massive read/writes most of the time where the benefit would be noticeable. Its the fast seek times that make everything seem fast in general use.

If you are doing a lot of large read/writes databases etc then it would likely be worth going for the faster ones. I see it mostly when i am handling large files in GIS. If fast reads and writes are making that much of a difference i usually just stick it on a ram disk while i am working on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Adhesice backed Velcro strips are ideal for mounting SSDs ;)

Advertisement