Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ammo shortage a coming?? UK couriers not transporting.

Options
  • 12-12-2016 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭

With the UK couriers not transporting firearms and ammo now is there going to be a shortage of ammo here soon?? Also there's noway to get a firearm transported to Ireland now.

I heard Tannyoky had a rush to buy out whatever they had in stock.

Anyone else heard about this??

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Nope.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Cass wrote: »
    Nope.

TNT have just stopped, so not many will transport now

I don't think it'll create a shortage. Perhaps it'll reduce the amount of deliveries, but if RFDs order enough to see them through from shipment to shipment it shouldn't effect it.

Look at the Hornady issue a couple of years back. Things got tight for certain rounds, but overall i never noticed a shortage. The bigger issue which is ongoing is dealers not ordering much.

Take 9mm stuff. I know the amount of people using it is small, but dealers are only ordering a couple of thousand and most times one lad would see them and buy them. I asked why order so few to be told they don't want to be stuck with them. I asked how long they have the ammo for after they order it and they admit it's usually sold within the day, all of it.

So why not order more. Considering the amount of ammo they'd have in their shop for all the other cailbers, i fail to see how storing an additional €1,000 worht of ammo that they know will sell quickly is going to bankrupt them.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

1000eu-worth at present-day prices just ain't a lot of ammunition these days....

tac

No, its not and that is my point.

In 9mm €1,000 is roughly 80 boxes or 4,000 rounds. The last shipment they got in was 2,000. Not €2,000, but 2,000 rounds or 40 boxes. A lad, like myself, has a high ammo limit came in and saw them and bought the lot.

If they got in triple what they do then it would be about €3,000 worth of stock (one good quality rifle) but more ammo than a single lad can buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I don't think it'll create a shortage. Perhaps it'll reduce the amount of deliveries, but if RFDs order enough to see them through from shipment to shipment it shouldn't effect it.

Look at the Hornady issue a couple of years back. Things got tight for certain rounds, but overall i never noticed a shortage. The bigger issue which is ongoing is dealers not ordering much.

Take 9mm stuff. I know the amount of people using it is small, but dealers are only ordering a couple of thousand and most times one lad would see them and buy them. I asked why order so few to be told they don't want to be stuck with them. I asked how long they have the ammo for after they order it and they admit it's usually sold within the day, all of it.

So why not order more. Considering the amount of ammo they'd have in their shop for all the other cailbers, i fail to see how storing an additional €1,000 worht of ammo that they know will sell quickly is going to bankrupt them.

Cass that's not the problem I'm posting about.

The dealers can order as much as they want BUT who will transport the orders to them?????

Quote from my UK dealer friend.

"TNT who were the major carrier for S1 firearms and Ammunition pulled out mid November. It seems that if you have an existing trade account with ParcelForce they will honour moving S1 firearms but I am not sure if they will take on new accounts. I have been advised by a leading ammo wholesaler that ParcelForce will not carry ammo but I will be seeking confirmation of this point."

clivej wrote: »
    Cass that's not the problem I'm posting about.
    But it is. You said:
    clivej wrote: »
    TNT have just stopped, so not many will transport now
    Not that no one will, but not many will.
    The dealers can order as much as they want BUT who will transport the orders to them?????
    So you use one of the other transport services, and order a larger quantity to avoid shortages.

IOW if there is a shortage of transport options, shortage and not complete withdrawal, then you order more to avoid any shortages.

Lastly if the RFDs, through their association, organise to collect it themselves they can drive over and get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭jb88

Was up in Ni shopping and popped into two Ni Dealers.
    The first one said its going to be a big problem for him to get any stock, he will have to source himself

Tannyoky literally got rid of 120,000 rounds in one day, from their last shipment according to reports.

From 4 pallets they were left with less than 2,000 rds at the end of the first day.

NI Dealers now have to source and import everything themselves, as the companies are no longer shipping Firearms and ammunition from the UK.

I contacted a dealer yesterday in the UK who has shipped to Ireland in the past and he said he cannot get a courier company to ship the goods regardless of permits etc.

This may take some time to be resolved

But it is. You said:

Not that no one will, but not many will.

So you use one of the other transport services, and order a larger quantity to avoid shortages.

IOW if there is a shortage of transport options, shortage and not complete withdrawal, then you order more to avoid any shortages.

Lastly if the RFDs, through their association, organise to collect it themselves they can drive over and get it.

On the issue of RFDS getting together and collecting it themselves, I mentioned this to one dealer and he laughed at the idea. Dealers in NI seem to undercut one another all the time and they all operate as individual entities. (That's the polite interpretation)

They don't have the buying power, and a wholesaler operation may be the best alternative, but that wont solve the transport problem

But it looks like RFD's will have no choice to stop trading or only the larger ones will survive.

The shortages are already prevalent.

Lets see what happens here

jb88 wrote: »
    Dealers in NI seem to undercut one another all the time and they all operate as individual entities. (That's the polite interpretation)
    We had one, now two, RFD associations here (as it's more relevant than NI). Surely they can get together as members of this group and try sort something out.

If the sh*t hits the fan and this spreads to all carriers where no one will transport then they need to contact the suppliers. If the stuff is still coming from the states then someone is carrying it.

What i'm getting at is unless the UK and Europe gets hit with this too then some company has to be transporting it as the majority is made in the states.

If the associations cannot get agreement from all members then perhaps some RFDs can group together and travel themselves?

I've stocked up in the last two weeks with a good load of ammo, but it won't last indefinitely and knowing my luck i'll run short when/if the true effects of this kick in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Relay gotta ask..But how many people are exactly in theses RFD groups??
    For a bunch of people whose livelyhood seems to be on the permanent "at risk" all the time, They seem to be a very quiet bunch of people.:confused:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Surely all couriers won't refuse to ship guns and ammo?

If they do, there might be a few bob to be had if I started up my own courier company to do it. I'd have a monopoly. Charge what I like.

And you'd have no option but to pay for it, suckers. :mad:

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Relay gotta ask..But how many people are exactly in theses RFD groups??:
    There used to be the one group (REgistered Firearms Dealer Association or something to that effect) until the pox that is the sports caolition appeared and splintered that association. Now we have two groups, but still not all RFDs are members of either groups.

We had over 29 RFDs, but i think the number today is around the 20 mark. That is RFDs that actually sell goods and not people that need an RFD license to do gunsmithing , stock making, or anything else that requires the storage of firearms as par to their trade.
    BattleCorp wrote: »
    This is what i'm getting at above. I know over the last 7 - 10 years it's gotten harder and harder, but there are still companies that will ship.

If they do, there might be a few bob to be had if I started up my own courier company to do it. I'd have a monopoly. Charge what I like.

And you'd have no option but to pay for it, suckers. :mad:

Have fun....:P:P:P
    Between the EU paperwork and directive compliances and deposits for indemnities and what not,you are proably throwing 250 K minimum on the table.
    And your problem is convincing ferry companies and a cargo airline to shift your "dangerous cargo ". Unless you intend to open a airline and sea going fleet branch too?:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

We had one, now two, RFD associations here (as it's more relevant than NI). Surely they can get together as members of this group and try sort something out.

If the sh*t hits the fan and this spreads to all carriers where no one will transport then they need to contact the suppliers. If the stuff is still coming from the states then someone is carrying it.

What i'm getting at is unless the UK and Europe gets hit with this too then some company has to be transporting it as the majority is made in the states.

If the associations cannot get agreement from all members then perhaps some RFDs can group together and travel themselves?

I've stocked up in the last two weeks with a good load of ammo, but it won't last indefinitely and knowing my luck i'll run short when/if the true effects of this kick in.

So in the UK an RFD has had to approach his main dealers organization to get clarification on who can ship something because at the moment they cannot, so that applies to two mainland UK RFDS, which I am aware of.

Small problem now. It will become bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Captainaxiom

Any update on this, anyone noticing a shortage in their area.

As many of you know, I live for much of the year in UK, and there are signs of shortages here. Not only factory ammunition, but components - powder, primers and bullets. And many of the replacables like primer pocket brushes and US-made cleaning components, too.

When we go to the Shooting Show in February, I'll be taking a folding cart to carry all the stuff I'll be buying to keep me going.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Given the probability of a hard brexit we may have to look at getting supplies from Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

sfakiaman wrote: »
    Given the probability of a hard brexit we may have to look at getting supplies from Europe.

Even if so, it will be 2019 before that kicks in so plenty of time to sort out arrangements in the mean time.

Or push for reloading to become more accesible?:)

• Advertisement

Can you see that happening before 2019?

Thought not.

tac

Nope, but sooner started ,sooner got maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭td5

Field and Stream in Moy County Tyrone are also registered Section 5 Carriers and are in UK several times every month. So anyone needing a firearm collected and transported should contact them.

Well, I have about a thousand set aside for long-term component purchasing at the shopw - I have everything else I need for what I do.

I can't buy any more guns without selling something I already have, and as I'm happy with everything I have, they will have to suffice.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Rimfire Shooter

Your actually being serious? That boat has sailed!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Your actually being serious? That boat has sailed!

It was discussed at the FCP. At the moment only the Midlands have reloading. As far as I'm aware, two more organisations have applied for it. If they get approval, then it's feasible that the opportunity for more organisations to reload might be on the table over the next few years.

It was discussed at the FCP. At the moment only the Midlands have reloading. As far as I'm aware, two more organisations have applied for it. If they get approval, then it's feasible that the opportunity for more organisations to reload might be on the table over the next few years.

FCP? What's that?

So we have to join an "organisation" who have more or less a monopoly on it, in Ireland .................. no thanks ! As I said that boat has sailed. I'll stick to my rimfire. Getting gouged enough on ammo for that thanks.

The boat might have sailed,but there is nothing stopping anyone making enquiries might there be another one at a more agreeable date.This is a perfect reason as to why our "repersentatives" should be on the ball and making an enquiry thereon. We dont know what Brexit might bring,and instead of wringing hands or saying "Shure nuthin will happen! Be grand!"..People should look at this as an opportunity to put this position forward at the FCP.Wont come to anything,but no doubt,but at least then when it does hit.We can say "told you so" We should be planting seeds for the future and not just sitting here content with our miserable lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

That boat hasn't sailed. It's tied up at the dock waiting for an engine part.
    As to monopoly calls, that's a bit of a laugh once you know what hoops had to be jumped through to even get the toe in this particular door. And I strongly suspect the next group to try for it is going to have a lot less work and expenditure to get it thanks to the Midland's efforts, but that'll be quickly forgotten and we'll hear how reloading's been "saved" by the next group in the door from people who aren't involved in the effort from either group.
    It'd be enough to make someone a cynic...

• Advertisement

Thanks for the "alternative facts". Nice of Midlands to be so worried about us all getting to reload. Nothing to do with the fact they currently hold a nice little monopoly on it and it costs a pretty few € to be allowed to participate apparently.

Exactly what or who is this FCP?

Grizzly, I love the concept but this is Ireland.

Me cynical yep and with good reason !

Advertisement