Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire Middle St 10-Dec-16 & gate at Flood St

Options
  • 12-12-2016 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

I was out and about in town last Saturday night and there was 2 fire engines dealing with a fire in an apartment in Middle St, see pic below.

Later the same night, I passed Flood street and the barrier was closed blocking vehicle access to Cross st, Middle St, Augustine st. (I think its closed around 10 or 11pm) See pic below.

Since I'd seen the fire brigade earlier on Middle St, I was struck but how dangerous the gate is and how stupid it seems to block access to the city centre for emergency access. I'm sure there are arrangements in place for opening the gates for emergency vehicles but can this be relied on not to delay emergency access?

If for example, there was a fire or medical emergency in the Taibhdhearc, would there be a queue of emergency vehicles waiting for the gate to be opened?

Photo_10_12_2016_21_12_29.jpgphoto upload sites

Photo_10_12_2016_23_18_43.jpgimage search

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

When the gate is closed, in case of emergencies (and some non emergencies too :) ) vehicles go the wrong way up the very bottom part of Abbeygate St to get into the augustine / cross / middle abbeygate loop.

Its quite safe because the gate being closed means theres very little chance of any vehicles comind down that stretch, and even if there were theres great visibility.

In fact its probably safer because there aren't taxis clogging flood st.

Great example of why these streets can never be fully pedestrianised.

What time was the fire?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Well done that gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

snubbleste wrote: »
    Well done that gate.

Galway CC should build a wall.... :p

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Galway CC should build a wall.... :p

And get Clare CC to pay for it...

Advertisement