Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling furniture to a Second Hand Furniture Shop (sofa bed)

Options
  • 12-12-2016 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Is there any place in Dublin which buys 2nd hand furniture & then sells them in their showrooms?
    I.e. I'd like to sell a sofa bed (in great condition) & wonder if somebody could collect it from my place, put into such 2nd hand funiture store & then once sold, I'd get the money (minus their charges)?

Or would I be better of putting it on Adverts?
    Only found one by they only buy from Drogheda area

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Buckleys auction rooms might sell the furniture for you at auction. Or Herman's in Rathmines. But I think you are going to be disappointed in what you will get for it. You will also have to front up the cost of delivering it to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Adverts is definitely the easier path here and tbh, for what a second hand Sofa Bed is worth, I doubt you'll find anyone prepared to go to the hassle of selling it for you on commission.

Second hand furniture tends to fetch very little (hence why you see so many suites in the Free section of Adverts. Unless you're talking about solid wood furnishings (e.g. kitchen table / dressers etc) the price your second hand furniture is competing with is the cheapest version of that type of furniture that Ikea sell. In your case, this one at about €130 http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/sofas-armchairs/sofa-beds-chair-beds/ullvi-two-seat-sofa-bed-ransta-dark-grey-art-20340541/

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Rhinohippo

If it's a second hand sofa bed, regardless of the condition, most people seem to run a mile. I recently had a second hand sofa to sell, in very good condition but gave up after visiting three second hand shops and a charity shop before I ended up heading to the dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,364 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

greep wrote: »
    Is there any place in Dublin which buys 2nd hand furniture & then sells them in their showrooms?
    I.e. I'd like to sell a sofa bed (in great condition) & wonder if somebody could collect it from my place, put into such 2nd hand funiture store & then once sold, I'd get the money (minus their charges)?

Or would I be better of putting it on Adverts?
    Only found one by they only buy from Drogheda area

As above, I doubt if they would even take it in Apollo house

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

As above, I doubt if they would even take it in Apollo house

Sadly, I agree.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately, anything second hand with material seems to be a no go now. I remember years ago, seeing dralon headboards for sale second hand. No chance I'd buy one of those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

In the past I have found it difficult to even give old furniture away for nothing. However, I have been enjoying this programme http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06bhwvy on BBC. They renovate old furniture from the dump and sell it. After the craftspeople are paid the profit goes to the person dumping it. The amounts of money being paid for the items can be anything up to four figures. Its a terrible waste just to dump something that can be transformed. For instance, they had an old reproduction armchair. I loved the shape of it. But they sliced it in two and turned it into a two seater and it looked absolutely fab. Is there anyone doing this here?

At the end of the day, if the furniture is in good enough nick I would just give it to a charity shop, some of them can collect.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    In the past I have found it difficult to even give old furniture away for nothing. However, I have been enjoying this programme http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06bhwvy on BBC. They renovate old furniture from the dump and sell it. After the craftspeople are paid the profit goes to the person dumping it. The amounts of money being paid for the items can be anything up to four figures. Its a terrible waste just to dump something that can be transformed. For instance, they had an old reproduction armchair. I loved the shape of it. But they sliced it in two and turned it into a two seater and it looked absolutely fab. Is there anyone doing this here?

At the end of the day, if the furniture is in good enough nick I would just give it to a charity shop, some of them can collect.

Sounds like a great idea. I contacted a few charity shops in December as I had some nice furniture to donate, as I just didn't have room for it. It was probably the time of year but they said they couldn't look at it until January and then they couldn't be sure they'd take it. I ended up disposing of it. Maybe someone could have used it as you have described.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

We live in a disposable world unfortunately. Fifty years ago it would have been worth something but today its different. The people who renovate old furniture are possibly snowed under with the stuff as there is so much around now. I had wanted to do a furniture restoration course some years ago but the few courses there were were not convenient for me.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    We live in a disposable world unfortunately. Fifty years ago it would have been worth something but today its different. The people who renovate old furniture are possibly snowed under with the stuff as there is so much around now. I had wanted to do a furniture restoration course some years ago but the few courses there were were not convenient for me.
    Even electrical appliances like dishwashers and washing machines are hardly worth getting repaired any more as people tend to replace them. It sure is a disposable world.

• Advertisement
Advertisement