Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday pay query

Options
  • 12-12-2016 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

How long does an employer have to pay holiday pay that is due to an employee . is there a time limit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There's a requirement to allow the employee to take holidays within the leave year, and for this to be paid. I believe that technically there's still a requirement to pay out the entire leave period when it starts, but today most employers just pay people on leave in the normal payroll.

The only time an employer can pay out your leave in cash is if you are leaving, or if you have leave balance that's greater than the legal minimum leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

There's a requirement to allow the employee to take holidays within the leave year, and for this to be paid. I believe that technically there's still a requirement to pay out the entire leave period when it starts, but today most employers just pay people on leave in the normal payroll.

The only time an employer can pay out your leave in cash is if you are leaving, or if you have leave balance that's greater than the legal minimum leave.

Yes, the requirement to take holidays is to prevent employers from simply refusing holidays to people and paying them in lieu. People need time off from work for their mental health and so employers actually have a duty of care to ensure that people take their holidays. So it is illegal to pay in lieu of holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Facelessworker

I have some holidays left and the year is running out and they cant give me the time off. So what happens to them ? Do i lose them or am i entitled to get them as pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

I have some holidays left and the year is running out and they cant give me the time off. So what happens to them ? Do i lose them or am i entitled to get them as pay.

They should allow you to carry them over.

Only possibility I can of where you'd lose them is if there's a company policy to give X amount of time advance notice of a holiday and you didn't give it and they don't generally allow carry over of days (they're not obliged to carry over).

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭promises

In my company you cannot get paid for days not taken but we can carry over a maximum 5 days to 2017 but must request this before mid December with HR , any days carried must be taken before June. Not sure if this is the most common practice or not tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

promises wrote: »
    In my company you cannot get paid for days not taken but we can carry over a maximum 5 days to 2017 but must request this before mid December with HR , any days carried must be taken before June. Not sure if this is the most common practice or not tho.

It's pretty common in big companies. Usually accompanied by lots of HR reminders that leave must be taken.

In some companies, leave has to be booked a year in advance, partly to make sure that left-over leave doesn't happen.

Advertisement