Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where are the Share collectors gone this year?

Options
  • 12-12-2016 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

Or have they been gone a while? Was in city last night and didn't see one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Next week perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Normally starts a week and a half before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

Its a 9 day collection ending on the 24th. Expect the launch to be this Thursday night at the Crib at Daunt Square.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭mikeecho

It's a good cause, but the city centre will be saturated with them to the point where they become a nuisance.

They grind my gears.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

Ah, yes maybe they should start earlier and be spread more thinly. I like the cause but we've hit the city early and unlikely to go again in the rush before Christmas.
    I was a Share collector myself a hundred years ago and do remember how pissed off people got about being harassed every few feet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

I saw two out this morning on my way to work...

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Apt8

They've been all over the city today, best job is to just give something to the first one you see to get the sticker, the rest will look right through you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Apt8 wrote: »
    They've been all over the city today, best job is to just give something to the first one you see to get the sticker, the rest will look right through you.

The sticker will have fallen off by the time you get to the next one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Cool_CM wrote: »

I've been going around for the last week with a jacket with the sticker from LAST year still on it, people were wondering where I got it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Cool_CM wrote: »

I'd say the one I got yesterday lasted all of an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭The White Feather

I know people are just having a laugh but do remember Share is a great charity that do great work.

I collected for them when I was younger and had to organise my school classmates doing it. I had to visit the places where they housed homeless elderly. When I heard this I groaned and didn't want to go!

When I got there and saw elderly homeless being so happy to have a place I changed my tune.I remember one guy saying to me he was really happy to have a place with a key to call his own.This was just a bed with a desk and a small portable.Really cramped.My old bedroom in my parents was much bigger.He knew it was tiny but he had tears in his eyes thanking us for the work. I had not done anything at that stage and felt like a fraud.

Not saying this to guilt trip people but we all tend to take things for granted when we have our own place.If I go into town, I always give them my change.Just yesterday, like someone said, the sticker fell off with the rain by the time I walked up Pana so I laughed and said I have to give them a bit more now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

I know people are just having a laugh but do remember Share is a great charity that do great work.

I collected for them when I was younger and had to organise my school classmates doing it. I had to visit the places where they housed homeless elderly. When I heard this I groaned and didn't want to go!

When I got there and saw elderly homeless being so happy to have a place I changed my tune.I remember one guy saying to me he was really happy to have a place with a key to call his own.This was just a bed with a desk and a small portable.Really cramped.My old bedroom in my parents was much bigger.He knew it was tiny but he had tears in his eyes thanking us for the work. I had not done anything at that stage and felt like a fraud.

Not saying this to guilt trip people but we all tend to take things for granted when we have our own place.If I go into town, I always give them my change.Just yesterday, like someone said, the sticker fell off with the rain by the time I walked up Pana so I laughed and said I have to give them a bit more now!

Dead right, they're certainly worthwhile and I am always glad to support them. Must throw a few bob to them when in town later on.

Advertisement