Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who would be the best person to talk to? (Mortgage)

• 12-12-2016 2:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I'm currently making a personal financial long term plan for myself and my partner. I'm very much a planning person, I worked as an accountant before in my country of origin.

So the thing is that by now I'm a bit stuck and have the feeling I need a bit of advice and since I'm not in Ireland for too long I have no clue where my starting point would be.

Our long term perspective is to buy a Family home. Not in the next one or two years, more likely 4. We already do have a reasonable chunk of saving aside but in the regard of other circumstances we're not ready for it, which is perfectly fine. We're both in our Mid-late twenties. Also we're most likely not planning on buying in Dublin.
    We currently do live in Dublin though with my the parents of my partner (who's Irish). We also pay them contribution monthly, Payment is made electronic.

Currently we do have one Income since I'm expecting a baby, Due in March (no further desire for kids). He is working, soon changing Job into a Public Service position.

I guess the purpose of this post is just to find the advice I need because I want to be prepared and do as much right as possible. We do save away steadily, we both have a good hand for money, no unreasonable spending habits since we're both quite modest and no gambling history. We're trying to build up a steady and very fair amount of savings with a very good history but I do see obstacles everywhere and this makes it a bit hard for me. Like the obstacle of having children for example. Baby on the way earlier than expected but that's life I guess. Both of us have never been in debt but this also concerns me as well as the fact what if we have to dip in savings for unexpected reasons.
    We'd be first time buyers and if the market in our preferred area stays kind of the way it is we might be in the lucky position of lending under 2 times of the expected annual salary at the time of application.

I just want to clarify a few things, I just don't know where to go, just for the ease of my own mind since I've worked with high numbers before for a small company but I never did it for myself and also in a country where rules are entirely different. It's just a little bit overwhelming.

I also know that a lot of things can change, market could change because of some factors of uncertainty, plans can change etc. I'm fully aware of this.

Thanks for reading through this mess of thoughts! I appreciate every advice I can get :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

Who would be the best person to talk to?................Not being smart here but you seem to be fairly well organized so the simple answer would be ...each other.... I guess you are already doing that and You seem to have a good head on your shoulders read a lot on finance, investing, save as much as you can, talk to friends and family can his parents help in discussing these things.
    No one has more interest in your money than you do

Maybe talking to a financial planner can help but I think you might be you're own best adviser at this stage. You are doing fine so far and as an accountant should have all the skills you need to help yourself.

Pose the questions on here and most people can give you some assistance/advice they are a great bunch

Best of luck with the Baby and enjoy

Advertisement