Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE TO TV

• 12-12-2016 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I have a seagate expansion 4tb external hard drive (3.0 usb connection) with some movies and pictures on it. Im wondering is it possible to get a cable to go from usb 3.0 to hdmi to connect directly into my panasonic viera tv. I'v tried playing the movies trough my xbox 1 but the seagate is formatted to a macbook pro and the xbox cant read it. Any help out there???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The cable from the hard disk drive (HDD) will need to go into a USB port on the TV rather than to a HDMI port which will only take a video signal from the likes of a DVD player or a cable/satellite decoder. Check the TV manual but you may find that it will only be able to read a HDD formatted for Windows using the likes of NTFS.

An alternative is that you can buy a box called a media player which will read your HDD and connect to the TV using HDMI. But again, you will need to check compatibility to see if it supports a HDD formatted for a Mac.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I think your best option is to transfer the contents of the drive to a PC or another drive with a filesystem that the TV understands.
    The TV should then be able to play the contents if the drive is connected via USB to the TV USB.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 TimTam82

There is no USB port in the tv only hdmi. The TV is bout 6yrs old. It's a viera tx-p50x20l . The manual says nothing bout being Hdd compatible

• Registered Users Posts: 40 TimTam82

It's an xbox1, how would I make a partition and format it?? Should I format on the mac or on windows?

Advertisement