Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Children med insurance - is it a scam with no private Children med hospital ?

• 12-12-2016 5:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭

Is there any point getting Children med insurance?

If two kids have the same med issue (one with med ins and the other not but no med card) are they treated differently in Ireland?

Under what circumstances is it better to have Children med insurance?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭phormium

They are not treated differently in the hospital, the question is when will they get to the hospital if needs be. If an emergency then obviously it's the same thing either way, a&e job, but if it's not an emergency then you are on the public list and waiting however long it takes. If you have medical insurance you can got to a consultant privately and get hopefully quicker treatment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭worded

phormium wrote: »
    They are not treated differently in the hospital, the question is when will they get to the hospital if needs be. If an emergency then obviously it's the same thing either way, a&e job, but if it's not an emergency then you are on the public list and waiting however long it takes. If you have medical insurance you can got to a consultant privately and get hopefully quicker treatment.

In what hospital ? There are no private hospitals for kids ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Most hospitals have a Private Children's sections. Bon Secour in Cork is the one that I am very familiar with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭worded

Miaireland wrote: »
    Most hospitals have a Private Children's sections. Bon Secour in Cork is the one that I am very familiar with.

Im in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I am sure nearly every hospital will have Private Sections in Dublin. Consultanta work also as Private. Much lshorter waiting lists to see them if you are Private for non Emergency things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭F1fan

My son needed his tonsils out last year aged 5. He had 2 years of bouts of tonsillitis, and I demanded referral to ent consultant. For those 2 years, including emergency hospital visits and overnights, having private insurance made no difference. However, referral was to consultant in private hospital which had maybe a 2 week wait. Following this appt my son returned 3 weeks later to have tonsils removed. This is when it paid to have insurance, 5 weeks from first visit to having them out, compared to at least 18 month wait in public hospital. Hope that helps.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

worded wrote: »
    Im in Dublin.

Crumlin definitely does, I was offered a consult privately there with my son.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭phormium

worded wrote: »
    In what hospital ? There are no private hospitals for kids ...

In any hospital, there doesn't have to be a specific private children's hospital, I have had procedures carried out in public hospital under private consultant. You can be a paying patient in a public hospital.

Advertisement