Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nike sponsoring sub-2 hour marathon attempt

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

gypsy79 wrote: »
    All this in the week that Salazar was finally banned

If you want me to believe you are clean (ANY SPORT), do not wear Nike!!

NOP will (maybe already) be forgotten, just like BALCO and people will still wear their goods!

The shoes are not legal. The ACTUAL shoes they are wearing are not generally available

Don't think it's as simple as that Nike athletics are huge and account for nearly 60-70% of all sponsorships in the sport. Just look at the 41 pacers from yesterday all Nike athletes from all across the world and also

Nike sponsorships:

NOP
    Bowerman Track Club
    Oregon Track Club
    Team Ingebritsens
    USATF
    UKA
    Kenyan Athletics
    Melbourne Track Club

Thats just to name a few. NOP was only just a small (albeit "successful" par of that)

Regarding the shoes, they will more than likely be available come the spring.

I don't think anyone forgets about BALCO (in fact the fallout has actually been beneficial as Victor Conte has been one of the most influential figures in anti doping information in the past 10 years) and likewise I don't think NOP will be forgotten quickly (especially when you see every single athlete questioned about it in build up to Chicago, both NOP members and others)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

adrian522 wrote: »
    I think I outlined above why I wouldn't wear them. I'd like my performance improvements to be real improvements due to training and hard work not due to giving Nike €300.

That fact that they are not illegal is not the point, they should be in my opinion but in any case they are the ultimate shortcut.

I also don't like Nike shoes in general and as you point out they are way too expensive as well as being not very durable.

Fair enough, that’s more clear. It seems to me too that they should be illegal, but I’m deferring to those who regulate the sport, and as long as they’re permitted I don’t blame anyone for using them. You could argue it the other way - that the best equipment helps deliver the result that your hard training deserves.

Still won’t be buying. Not yet anyway. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

KSU wrote: »
    I don't think anyone forgets about BALCO (in fact the fallout has actually been beneficial as Victor Conte has been one of the most influential figures in anti doping information in the past 10 years) and likewise I don't think NOP will be forgotten quickly (especially when you see every single athlete questioned about it in build up to Chicago, both NOP members and others)

You do know who funded BALCO??
    Nike sponsorships:

NOP
    Bowerman Track Club
    Oregon Track Club
    Team Ingebritsens
    USATF
    UKA
    Kenyan Athletics
    Melbourne Track Club

Kenyan athletics is dirtiest country in the world and should be banned

UK athletics 100% knew what they were getting into when they got Farah involved and then went out of their way to hide the details for years and still do

USATF biggest benefactories of NOP

Involved with Nike then you are dirty as far as I am concerned

And Dina Asher Smith is assumed filthy too.

The €300 shoe they are flogging isnt these shoes. It doesnt have the full 'technology'. It isnt widely available hence illegal

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

opus wrote: »
    Came across an interesting read on yesterday's achievement, would agree with the author that seeing Kipchoge & Bekele on the start line at the Olympics would be quite the mouthwatering contest.

Critical Power, Carbon Fibre and Co-operative Drafting: the science behind the first sub two-hour marathon

Very good blog, thanks for posting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

FFS, they’re a pair of bleedin’ runners. They don’t have combustible engines attached to them...

walshb wrote: »
    FFS, they’re a pair of bleedin’ runners. They don’t have combustible engines attached to them...

Oscar Pistorius had legs!!

Of course runners can have too much 'bounce'. You want him to wear roller blades next time??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,848 ✭✭✭✭28064212

The €300 shoe they are flogging isnt these shoes. It doesnt have the full 'technology'. It isnt widely available hence illegal
    Which is why they're not worn in competition races.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Would be great to see a similar set up, sponsored by a fracking company to see if a woman, wearing those Nike cheat shoes could break the 2:15 barrier. No one has been close since Paula nearly did.

Might not be any need for this :eek:

Brigid Kosgei currently through 30k on 2.14 pace after picking the pace up from half way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Might not be any need for this :eek:

Brigid Kosgei currently through 30k on 2.14 pace after picking the pace up from half way

Runners aren’t helping Sir Mo anyway!!

OOnegative wrote: »
    Runners aren’t helping Sir Mo anyway!!

Or Rupp. Hasay gone before 5k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Itziger

Jaysus, Women's Record gone!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Brigid Kosgei unreal in Chicago! This is better than Kipchoge yesterday

Just regarding the shoes,

Worth noting that Emma Bates with a big breakthrough from 2.28 to 2.25 wearing Aasics. This follows on from Sara Halls huge 2.22 from Berlin both wearing the metarride

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Brigid Kosgei unreal in Chicago! This is better than Kipchoge yesterday

Catch yourself on.
    Eliud would be 5k further down the road at 2.14

Rodin wrote: »
    Catch yourself on.
    Eliud would be 5k further down the road at 2.14

You’re probably joking, but I think the poster meant achievement wise..

Kipchoge yesterday was more an accurate and true reflection of what a record is compared to the IAAF interpretation...

No hills, rain, poxy wind, dickheads getting in your way, breaking rhythm to grab drinks, “substandard footwear,” etc etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,853 ✭✭✭Trampas

I assume all races to count for world records will need to be done bare feet, no drafting ruling and they’ve to carry all water or whatever on themselves so to please everyone.

Trampas wrote: »
    I assume all races to count for world records will need to be done bare feet, no drafting ruling and they’ve to carry all water or whatever on themselves so to please everyone.

Indeed....

No pleasing some.....

Trampas wrote: »

Nonsense post. The rules are fairly clear if you bother to read them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

adrian522 wrote: »

Here's a follow-up today from Steve Magness on twitter, which puts the shoes (and the massive jumps in the WR) into historical perspective.
    Talk of shoes, pacing, etc. aren't taking away from Kipchoge's and others accomplishment.

They are explaining why guys who ran 2:03-2:04 a few years ago, now are able to run sub 2. That jump just doesn't happen, even with training or "belief."
    If you don't think shoes, tech, drafting, etc. matter, then drugs have to be thrown in as an explainer.

So I'd rather have it be "the shoes" then it be some new PED...
    To put this another way, the last time you saw such a drop in any era in the marathon was the 1960s with Derek Clayton.

Back then marathoning was just taking hold and you had the beginning of “modern” training.

That begs an explanation of why we are seeing it now.
    Most of the research shows that the lower weight is what mattered most to performance.

A 3.5oz reduction in weight= about 1% improvement in economy.

So from modern shoe era until now you are looking at fractions of improvement.

Separately, what I love about track and xc running is that everyone has the same access to the same equipment. One of the cheapest running shoes you can buy will be a pair of spikes and the same pair can do you over 10k xc or 800m with negligible difference in performance. I don't think I've ever seen people talking about what spikes Cheptegei wore when he won world xc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

he is a bit of grumpy old soul but i like some of his videos, he isnt a fan of this new carob fiber plate and airbag technology

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Sacksian wrote: »
    Separately, what I love about track and xc running is that everyone has the same access to the same equipment. One of the cheapest running shoes you can buy will be a pair of spikes and the same pair can do you over 10k xc or 800m with negligible difference in performance. I don't think I've ever seen people talking about what spikes Cheptegei wore when he won world xc.

There has been a bit of talk about spikes Laura Muir has worn and spikes worn by some women in that ridiculously fast 1500 in Doha

Of course, it doesn't get the same attention in the media as the marathon shoes. But if a shoe benefits one distance, it stands to reason they'll find a way of developing one for another distance.

And Dina Asher Smith is assumed filthy too.

Assumed by who?

Chivito550 wrote: »
    There has been a bit of talk about spikes Laura Muir has worn and spikes worn by some women in that ridiculously fast 1500 in Doha

Of course, it doesn't get the same attention in the media as the marathon shoes. But if a shoe benefits one distance, it stands to reason they'll find a way of developing one for another distance.

I'd forgotten about the Laura Muir 4% spikes!! It seems they've been developing a few versions of those - I should look out a bit more for that.

I think the issue with track spikes is that they will have difficulty selling a very expensive spike in the same volume as with marathon/road shoes - probably not the same sized market for $250 track spikes as you do for $250 marathon shoes!

Ultimately, the marketing of 2hours/Kipchoge/Vaporfly is to sell more shoes for the benefit of Nike - it's not to promote athletics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Seem to be a bit more lenient with Nike than other brands in the past https://www.puma-catchup.com/the-forbidden-shoe/
    You still can't have more than 6 spikes in a track shoe to this day!

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Seem to be a bit more lenient with Nike than other brands in the past https://www.puma-catchup.com/the-forbidden-shoe/
    You still can't have more than 6 spikes in a track shoe to this day!

Don't forget the Spira :p

Funny enough no one is clammering for that 25 min 10k to be ratified.

Excellent video that really shows the insanity and intensity of what Kipchoge did. Camera at the front really shows the pace!

https://youtu.be/pQRY_YzmdEI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭4Ad

Excellent video that really shows the insanity and intensity of what Kipchoge did. Camera at the front really shows the

https://youtu.be/pQRY_YzmdEI

I watched that, he is genuinely fecked at the end !

• Advertisement

4Ad wrote: »
    I watched that, he is genuinely fecked at the end !

Yes, retired 800 runner. Folks could be wondering why so fecked, when he has run low 1.40s at 800 “recently.” His HR is an indicator that he genuinely suffered here..

Yes, retired 800 runner. Folks could be wondering why so fecked, when he has run low 1.40s at 800 “recently.” His HR is an indicator that he genuinely suffered here..

Take Symmonds with a grain of salt. He's out to promote himself and his business to the masses. That's why he pulled that stunt making sub 3 hours a harder deal than it really is for an athlete of his level. He was trying to get the average Joe to relate with him.

According to Symmonds he ran 1:59 for 800m a few weeks ago. Not sure how he could be so f**ked running through 800m in 2:15.

Either he's faking it, he's in terrible shape or he had a stinking hangover.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Take Symmonds with a grain of salt. He's out to promote himself and his business to the masses. That's why he pulled that stunt making sub 3 hours a harder deal than it really is for an athlete of his level. He was trying to get the average Joe to relate with him.

According to Symmonds he ran 1:59 for 800m a few weeks ago. Not sure how he could be so f**ked running through 800m in 2:15.

Either he's faking it, he's in terrible shape or he had a stinking hangover.

To be fair he has spent the last few months training as a 100m runner (think he was trying to break 11) for his most recent marketing stunts. fact that the HR drops after about 100 sec show he is seriously lacking aerobic endurance.

Advertisement