Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Nicholas church is on fire

Options
  • 12-12-2016 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,441 ✭✭✭✭

That's all I have.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

havent seen anything, are you sure/ surely some newspaper would have a facewbook post about it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,441 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

All sorted now. Boiler went on fire. No damage apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's a bit of a jump from a boiler fire to "St Nicholas church is on fire".. ;)

I was in there yesterday, I could have been killed!

Well there were two engines and they cordoned off the street. They were on the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Reassuring to know that they have a monitoring system which works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

Those 14th century boilers, they don't put the same stuff into them nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

biko wrote: »

I'm sure the Independent could work with that!

"Biko narrowly escapes death my a mere 24 hours in shocker church Christmas blaze!"

It's like the time Katherine Thomas' mother was almost killed in the beach shooting in Tunisia by having visited there 3 months beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Glad to hear this historic building was not damaged.

Congrats to those who installed and maintained the fire detection equipment and to the fire brigade

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Reassuring to know that they have a monitoring system which works.

Yup. The "thesandeman Mk II" is a great system :)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

The saddest thing is that if that place did burn down, they would have wasted millions putting it back up. In Longford there was 30 million wasted on St Mel's.

Just thinking how that money could have been used in that community. It's disgusting that it was pissed away on a useless building where pedophiles tell deluded people, nonsense stories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Skommando

Rainman16 wrote: »
    The saddest thing is that if that place did burn down, they would have wasted millions putting it back up. In Longford there was 30 million wasted on St Mel's.

Just thinking how that money could have been used in that community. It's disgusting that it was pissed away on a useless building where pedophiles tell deluded people, nonsense stories.

don't be an arsehole

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Or the €9 million and rising for a place where hoi aristoi may watch arty films

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

Skommando wrote: »
    don't be an arsehole

Improve the hospitals, the schools, give it to the Irish heart foundation, Irish cancer society, MS Ireland, Irish guide dogs. There are so many great causes out there that could have really used that money. What a terrible waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

What an original post, I think not. And into the bargain you have defamed every member of clergy who ever preached in St. Mel's. Have you ever posted similar stuff about other institutions implicated in sex abuse, the BBC or the FA for instance? Have you turned your back on the BBC or soccer?
    We can't post about the weather now without having some A&A a$$ole join in to blame the Pope for the weather.
    Apart from anything else St. Nicholas' in Galway is of immense historical interest. It is said that Columbus worshipped there.
    The only bigger pain in the ass than a religious zealot is an irreligious one.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Improve the hospitals, the schools, give it to the Irish heart foundation, Irish cancer society, MS Ireland, Irish guide dogs. There are so many great causes out there that could have really used that money. What a terrible waste.

I'm sure the insurance company would have been delighted to shell out all that money to fund those good causes for no reason at all. But instead they insisted on it being used to rebuild the church. Bastards!

Some people really will look for any excuse to give out. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Take a running jump and don't be spouting about something you know nothing about:mad:. Iirc the money for Longford was from contributions nationwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Biko?? In a Church?!? BLASPHEMY!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Take a running jump and don't be spouting about something you know nothing about:mad:. Iirc the money for Longford was from contributions nationwide.

zaph was right, it was paid for by insurance. the original post that you replied to is some load of bollox.

st mel's is probably one of the most visited buildings in the country outside of Dublin since it reopened.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I burst out laughing when I read this.

Take it easy pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

jesus-says-relax.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

You should do the lotto

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

The saddest thing is that if that place did burn down, they would have wasted millions putting it back up.

I share your views on religion however any building that was built in the 1300's deserves some preservation.

The best thing is the guy has never posted in the Galway forum before. Coming from a non religious person. some atheists come across as fanatic in their hatred of the church, comparable with those in the westboro baptist church.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

The worst thing is the guy distracted us from taking the piss out of thesandeman

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Well I'm as athiest as anyone but there's no denying its a beautiful building in a great position too. It's really a part of the history of galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The worst thing is the guy distracted us from taking the piss out of thesandeman

Temporary blip 😄

St Nics is also a major concert venue, in a city which is surprisingly short of them given the number of choirs it has. If we lost it, twould be wayyyy more yhan just a church building.

. If we lost it, twould be wayyyy more yhan just a church building.

And it could have spread to Tí Cóilí 😯

And it could have spread to Tí Cóilí 😯

Now you're just being ridiculous. Your ability to exaggerate is out of this world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

St Nicholas church is on fire

Santa Claus is terrified...

?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Santa Claus is terrified...

?

Santa Claus = Saint Nicholas

Advertisement