Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Di2 Synchro Shifting

Options
  • 12-12-2016 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭

Hi all, anyone tried to upgrade their Di2 system to Synchro / semi synchro shifting?

When I try, it keeps telling me the FD-9070 / RD-9070 needs firmware updates but I'm on the latest version. I'm at a bit of a loss to understand it, I was sure they said 9000 series could be upgraded to synchro shift?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Deagol wrote: »
    Hi all, anyone tried to upgrade their Di2 system to Synchro / semi synchro shifting?

When I try, it keeps telling me the FD-9070 / RD-9070 needs firmware updates but I'm on the latest version. I'm at a bit of a loss to understand it, I was sure they said 9000 series could be upgraded to synchro shift?

I think you are right. Check you have the correct components here? [edit] You might need a new battery.

http://e-tubeproject.shimano.com/pdf/en/HM-CC.3.2.0-01-EN.pdf

Go to the following site and search "Synch"

http://carltonbale.com/shimano-di2-everything-you-need-to-know/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

It looks like all the components Firmware are V.3xx except the Front and Rear derailleur which are both on v2.6x.

There's nothing really helpful in the compatibility chart that I can find. I looked through the whole e-tube thing before I posted but I'm just mystified as to what the issue is. (Other than that Shimano haven't posted the firmware yet!).

And yes, I have a wireless unit, though i'm not sure what that matters? Did you spot something I missed I'm wondering?

It looks like all the components Firmware are V.3xx except the Front and Rear derailleur which are both on v2.6x.

There's nothing really helpful in the compatibility chart that I can find. I looked through the whole e-tube thing before I posted but I'm just mystified as to what the issue is. (Other than that Shimano haven't posted the firmware yet!).

And yes, I have a wireless unit, though i'm not sure what that matters? Did you spot something I missed I'm wondering?

Apologies, I misread the wireless bit. Based on the firmware stuff here http://e-tubeproject.shimano.com/firmware/ your FD/RD should be at 2.62/2.63 respectivly.

Is it an external battery you have or internal?

OK, I actually read that article a few months ago but the Q&A's at the bottom where helpful.

It appears my battery needs to be replaced to get Synchro to work, why a battery makes a difference is beyond me though.

Thanks for your help, appreciated.

P.S. For reference. I have SM-BTR2 battery. Looks like you have to have the BT-DN110 for synchro.

OK, I actually read that article a few months ago but the Q&A's at the bottom where helpful.

It appears my battery needs to be replaced to get Synchro to work, why a battery makes a difference is beyond me though.

Thanks for your help, appreciated.

P.S. For reference. I have SM-BTR2 battery. Looks like you have to have the BT-DN110 for synchro.

For the external battery, the holder is the brain, believe it or not. For example, If you upgraded all your firmware and lost the ability to "mix/mash" bits (10s with11s and Ulegra with DA), you just need to get hold of an old Battery holder and not upgrade the firmware. Safe to assume that brain is now "part of" the internal batteries.

I did come across this bit too, which might help you.

Synchronized Shifting and Bluetooth Wireless Units can be added to all E-tube Ultegra and Dura-Ace systems but the battery has to be upgraded to the BT-DN110 Internal Battery or BM-DN100 External Battery Mount.

https://www.bike24.com/p2178433.html

That might be the handiest way?

[edit] Apparently the external yoke is MTB only :/

Tomorrow I hope to find out my bike has the right battery!

• Advertisement

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :) .... the DN110 is €109 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

Are ye using the synchro shift since guys ? Just enabled my ultegra di2 last night and have fully sync turned on and working.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I'd like to try it but I'd need to change the battery. Apart from the cost it looks an awkward job in the Canyon.

Seven Worlds will Collide

I'd like to try it but I'd need to change the battery. Apart from the cost it looks an awkward job in the Canyon.

Its a canyon I have too so when upgrading last night I was just hoping the battery would be the right model and it was, yes in the canyon its a bottom bracket out job isnt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

jamesd wrote: »
    in the canyon its a bottom bracket out job isnt it.

Seems to be - so that would be a new BB as well and apart from getting it out I'd say there would be great craic manoeuvring it back into position too!

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Is this just a software update or do you need to add something? (assuming the battery is the correct one)... in work so not enough time to read the link

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Is this just a software update or do you need to add something? (assuming the battery is the correct one)... in work so not enough time to read the link

Just a software update, takes 10 minutes to do.

Seems to be - so that would be a new BB as well and apart from getting it out I'd say there would be great craic manoeuvring it back into position too!

Ill ask a friend of mine as he had a faulty battery in his canyon a while ago and had to swap it out and did it himself so ill ask how big of a job it was.

Advertisement