Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPod touch to android text

• 12-12-2016 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi.

First time poster. My eldest is getting an iPod touch for Christmas, as both my wife and I have Samsung phones I'm wonder is there any app we can download to text each other ?? Trying to search using Google but not having much success.............

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭Keith186

Skype doesn't need a SIM card but I think Viber and WhatsApp do, not sure about Facebook messenger.

You would need a mobile internet or WiFi connection on your phones to send and receive messages too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

You can use Google's Hangouts app on non-cellular iOS devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Seamiedev

Cheers Keith, jaysus never even thought of Skype, probably be the handiest for now, she's still a while off being allowed a FB account !!!! & 5uspect, I'll investigate Hangouts further, actually disabled off i phone last week, I'd never even bothered to find out what it was !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭Horace Cope

Yes, agree with the suggestion of hangouts!
    Like Skype, you can call and text each other for free,
    Skype uses a username you make up
    whereas hangouts uses your gmail login address - same principle really.
    But as hangouts is usually preinstalled on android devices and can be downloaded on iOS, its a no-brainer.

Note, your child has to accept the invite from anyone trying to contact them on hangouts, so its safer that way, compared to instant messaging services that work off your telephone number, where anyone can text once they get a phone number from a WhatsApp group etc (though thankfully this is not an issue on an iPod)

You can access hangouts on a laptop or PC at hangouts.google.com
    as well as through gmail.com (or mail.google.com),
    and all your messages are auto saved in gmail under Chats.

The main attraction for me is that when you send photos, images etc, they are NOT saved locally on the device by default, you are viewing them online as you would view photos on Facebook - so they don't take up room on your device. Some other messaging services download the images\videos on your device.

Advertisement