Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking large game with small calibers

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

What is a reasonable distance to shoot a fox at with a . 22lr!?

and, to follow on, would people here who do use .22lr on a fox go for the heart or head?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭clawback07

ezra_ wrote: »
    and, to follow on, would people here who do use .22lr on a fox go for the heart or head?

Years ago, in as an earlier poster stated previously pre sniper days I used a Brno .22 semi auto ( mod 511) which had a super light trigger and I practiced and practiced at firing 3 shots at a target around 80 yards to try and perfect a chest shot every time on foxes . It worked every time and I would never consider a head shot with the .22
    The reason for the light trigger was that its' hammer and sear machining was beyond safe limits as I discovered when I emptied an eight shot mag into a fox one night with one squeeze of the trigger ! I got the trigger replaced and sold the rifle .The buyer wanted to know what all the x s scratched on the butt plate were for ....!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

gunny123 wrote: »

Its down to the shooter, W.D.M Bell, the famous hunter, killed hundreds of elephants with a 6.5 ms, which has less power than a .243 win.

And there is also another saying by Africa hunters ."Use enough gun." [Comes from Robert Ruarck's book "Horn of the hunter."] ASFIK Capstick and all these other lads of the small caliber brigade shot their animals in stalks or from stands.

Different story if you are facing down a charging bull elephant or a rather annoyed cape buff who has been hit by your .243. There is a very good reason too that big game calibers start at .375 H&H upwards,and even some consider that a bit on the light side.
    Even European wild boar require respect and .308 upwards is what you need. As Cass said,it is possible ,but when things go wrong is where you need more gun.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Depends on whether you want the pelt or not. Distance well within 100feet.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Even European wild boar require respect and .308 upwards is what you need. As Cass said,it is possible ,but when things go wrong is where you need more gun.

i wondered about that, as i always fancied wild boar shooting, its one of the reasons i wanted to get the .243 rebarreled to a more allround calibre, .30-06 is favourite currently.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Head. For me the 22lr allows to much room for mistake if going for a heart shot. IOW it does not have the energy to do the necessary damage if the shot is not clean.
    Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    A good friend of mine has gone Boar shooting in Europe and the first time he went he brought his 6.5. He was told no, the gun put into storage, and handed a 30-06.

My issue with small calibers, and i've seen some touch on it above, is they are probably ok but only when the shot is perfect. I've a feeling most lads are thinking stalking up and taking a nice long, steady head shot or perfect shot.

However what about the imperfect shot. IOW a running shot, or when you find yourself rushing to either take the shot or not. For me this is where the larger calibers earn their keep. They carry much more impact energy, and to a degree compensate for any lacking in precision on the part of the shooter.

Now that should not be confused with allowing someone that cannot hit the broad side of a barn to shoot randomly at animals. It refers to the scenarios set out above. If the animal your glassing starts to move, run, and you have seconds to take a shot and sometimes its on the move so holding a perfect aim is not possible.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

What is a reasonable distance to shoot a fox at with a . 22lr!?

Over here - 50 to 75 yards.

YMMD.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Crow Pigeon and Pheasant

tac foley wrote:
    Over here - 50 to 75 yards.

Thanks! Head or heart and lung shot?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I don't shoot live game as my FAC does not permit me to do so, but I know a man who does, so I asked him.

50 - 75 yards are his figures, and he's a professional vermin shooter.

Mind you, the general consensus here seems to be about the same, if you read back through the posts.

'sides, head shots mean that you can make a decent-sized fox pie, right?

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Crow Pigeon and Pheasant

tac foley wrote:
    I don't shoot live game as my FAC does not permit me to do so, but I know a man who does, so I asked him.

tac foley wrote:
    50 - 75 yards are his figures, and he's a professional vermin shooter.

tac foley wrote:
    'sides, head shots mean that you can make a decent-sized fox pie, right?

tac foley wrote:
    Mind you, the general consensus here seems to be about the same, if you read back through the posts.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement