Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bohemian FC Team Talk/News/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

2zybh2r.jpg

Please God we're in by the 2023 season. We should know an awful lot more over the next few weeks anyway with our AGM, the LSSIF applications closing etc

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

So we'll be out for two years and probably three seasons. They will be a long three seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Lucky if it's ready by 2024 if say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Funds not known until the summer and it definitely looks like it was be anywhere near €30 million, probably not even €20...

Is there money from DCC and FAI earmarked for Dalyer? Or just Government Sports Grant - that €50 million pool available won't last long with €26 mil for RDS, €6 for Glanmire, assuming some of the €45 mil they need for Pairc Tailteann will come from it and then Dalyer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Funds not known until the summer and it definitely looks like it was be anywhere near €30 million, probably not even €20...

Is there money from DCC and FAI earmarked for Dalyer? Or just Government Sports Grant - that €50 million pool available won't last long with €26 mil for RDS, €6 for Glanmire, assuming some of the €45 mil they need for Pairc Tailteann will come from it and then Dalyer.

FAI aren't putting in a Penny, the 3 grounds earmarked last year for funding were Dalymount, RDS and Meath's ground

Tbh I am not confident of the full amount and wouldn't be surprised if its built in stages like Tallaght Stadium.

Bohs AGM on soon so should get more info at that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Are the FAI not putting something in as part of the "Euro 2020" legacy project or some ****e like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Are the FAI not putting something in as part of the "Euro 2020" legacy project or some ****e like that?

My understanding of it from the members meeting was that the FAI's part was getting Dublin City council on board to build this ground due to the numbers this tournament would bring into the city. I don't believe they are putting anything towards the construction of this project.

God forbid.

LeBash wrote: »
    Lucky if it's ready by 2024 if say.

Agreed. In the last 6 months it's been delayed by 2 years. This year was initially meant to be our last in Dalyer then 2 in Tolka. It was pushed out to 2 in Dalyer and 2 in Tolka. Now 2 in Dalyer and potentially 3 in Tolka.

I was hoping they'd be able to expedite the process or at least keep it 2 in Tolka.

The fact there's so much development within this plan though, with the school, the shopping centre, the stadium, the library etc. It's not just a stadium, it's a community. That gives me some hope that it will go ahead (eagles, my second team).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

major bill wrote: »
    FAI aren't putting in a Penny, the 3 grounds earmarked last year for funding were Dalymount, RDS and Meath's ground

Tbh I am not confident of the full amount and wouldn't be surprised if its built in stages like Tallaght Stadium.

Bohs AGM on soon so should get more info at that.

So leaves €24 million between Dalyer & Meaths ground... hardly a huge amount.

• Advertisement

Add in the inevitable downturn after Brexit and cash may be short again. You'd think the GAA have enough money to fund their own white elephant stadia (which most are strictly GAA only, and used a couple of times a year). The plan for Dalymount is a lot more comprehensive than just a playing pitch and stands, the facilities would be in use in some shape or form 7 days a week.

From whatever angle you look at it that project makes more sense than any Meath GAA project, but the GAA are like the mafia so you know what will happen.

I do think the project managers name is a good omen however.

The fact the person responsible for the entire expenditure of the state is from Phibsboro and is seen in Dalyer from time to time might bode well for us too.

You could make a list a dozen long for why you think it will happen and a dozen long of why it won't. :D

Poor Detser. A tired, lazy tackle brings the Derry striker down and they score with pretty much their only shot of the game. Even everyone around in G were like "ah ffs" as opposed to complaining about the decision. I actually thought the ref, Tomas Connolly, was very good. Rarely blew for a free, gave minimal bookings and got every major decision right. The yellow for the Derry lad in the first half was a yellow and not a red. It was a penalty etc. He knew the game wasn't about him and let it go on. Fair play

Scrappy game, the wind didn't help, but feel we could have knicked the three points. Cherrie made two great saves. One from Regbha in the second half and one from Ward's free kick in the first. Mandroiu had a chance but just couldn't connect.

We missed Dinny big time tonight. We lacked any sort of fluidity in the final third. We've a fair few "gloriors/Gloryers" too. Mandriou takes way too much out of the ball, as does Regbha. They didn't work well together at all tonight. Regbha was poor. No hold up play at all. Everything bounced off him.

2,940 at the game though and a fair few Derry to be fair to them. A Jodi stand sellout too. Circa 400 fans sent away. I know I'm a broken record at this stage but it goes to show how important this new stadium will be. 400 turned away, many more didn't bother because they knew it would sellout, many would come if the facilities were a bit better etc.

Great buzz around the place atm. Higher crowds than when we were winning doubles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

BOHtox wrote: »
    Poor Detser. A tired, lazy tackle brings the Derry striker down and they score with pretty much their only shot of the game. Even everyone around in G were like "ah ffs" as opposed to complaining about the decision. I actually thought the ref, Tomas Connolly, was very good. Rarely blew for a free, gave minimal bookings and got every major decision right. The yellow for the Derry lad in the first half was a yellow and not a red. It was a penalty etc. He knew the game wasn't about him and let it go on. Fair play

Scrappy game, the wind didn't help, but feel we could have knicked the three points. Cherrie made two great saves. One from Regbha in the second half and one from Ward's free kick in the first. Mandroiu had a chance but just couldn't connect.

We missed Dinny big time tonight. We lacked any sort of fluidity in the final third. We've a fair few "gloriors/Gloryers" too. Mandriou takes way too much out of the ball, as does Regbha. They didn't work well together at all tonight. Regbha was poor. No hold up play at all. Everything bounced off him.

2,940 at the game though and a fair few Derry to be fair to them. A Jodi stand sellout too. Circa 400 fans sent away. I know I'm a broken record at this stage but it goes to show how important this new stadium will be. 400 turned away, many more didn't bother because they knew it would sellout, many would come if the facilities were a bit better etc.

Great buzz around the place atm. Higher crowds than when we were winning doubles.

People in the aisle again crazy crazy stuff, something needs to change

There has been people in the aisles for years. Even when the Jodi is half empty, people want to be in F&G. A solution is to replace the seating there with a safe standing setup.

https://twitter.com/bohsmatt/status/1104331593655701504

This thread suggests something might be done in the time between now and the redevelopment to sort out the capacity issues.

To cherry pick a few quotes from Matt Devanney, former president:

"None of us involved are happy at the thought of losing money"
    "Seems to be more than early season enthusiasm to me. Would be remiss of us not to look at alternatives."
    "Anyway, options being looked at"

I know he's not currently involved in an official capacity but I wouldn't be surprised if he still helped out. He has red and black running through his veins.

Hard to see how a stand in the carpark is feasible. The only thing I see is getting Connaught Street up and running for Rovers and keeping the Shed for us. Or giving us the shed and putting away fans in Block A. Neither might end up being feasible.

The powers that be in the FAI and the Gardai will see to it that no safe and feasible solution will be implemented.

Agreed unfortunately. Even a third stand in the carpark would have access issues. You'd still have home and away fans coming in through the School End you'd think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Great to see the attendances so healthy so far this season but still so frustrating that so many are being turned away and the whole redevelopment of the ground just seems to get pushed back further and further.

Another sellout. Averaging about 3271 this year so far. Our end sold out a week in advance. If we continue this average for the season and compare it to last year's statistics then we'd have the second highest average attendance in the country, compared to fifth which is where we actually were with an average attendance of 2136. I know there is a real feel-good factor around the league and attendances in general are up but I think it's particularly the case with a club like Bohs with such potential. We're a real sleeping giant.

Potentially in 5-6 years time:
    We'll be averaging 4,000 in a redeveloped Dalymount
    Playing full time football
    Not losing our best players yearly
    Competing for trophies
    Playing in Europe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Great 3 points last night, Pats looked strong in patches but just don’t have the Bohs team spirit. Cornwall and Finnerty were superb but everyone put in a great shift, Dinny worked his socks off. Unfortunate to hear people with tickets turned away when turning up late if this is true, there were quite a few single seats free. Exciting times ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Is there any way the connaught end could reopen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

It's condemned for years. No point doing it up for the sake of a couple of seasons. Wouldn't be worth the return. This weekly sell-out buzz won't last for the season either, as great as it is. I think, funnily enough, that's the sell out makes it more attractive as there's an added hype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

born in Phibsboro, went to all games for 20+ years, havent been back in a decade but will be a season ticket holder next season with my sons and daughter, i was very disappointed to see the capacity of the redeveloped Dalymount, no future planning at all.

Omackeral wrote: »
    It's condemned for years. No point doing it up for the sake of a couple of seasons. Wouldn't be worth the return. This weekly sell-out buzz won't last for the season either, as great as it is. I think, funnily enough, that's the sell out makes it more attractive as there's an added hype.

It's the place to be, the lack of availibility is creating demand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

It's the place to be, the lack of availibility is creating demand.

True its taking a bit of getting used to after years of being able to walk up to the turnstile and get in

Another sellout. Averaging about 3271 this year so far. Our end sold out a week in advance. If we continue this average for the season and compare it to last year's statistics then we'd have the second highest average attendance in the country, compared to fifth which is where we actually were with an average attendance of 2136. I know there is a real feel-good factor around the league and attendances in general are up but I think it's particularly the case with a club like Bohs with such potential. We're a real sleeping giant.

Our own Academy/Training Base
    Competing for trophies
    Playing in Europe

I nearly forgot to add this one

I nearly forgot to add this one

and a crucial one as well I would say. I know the money is not there to fully fund a full time professional academy but the closer the club can get to that the better it will be for the first team.

born in Phibsboro, went to all games for 20+ years, havent been back in a decade but will be a season ticket holder next season with my sons and daughter, i was very disappointed to see the capacity of the redeveloped Dalymount, no future planning at all.

I forgot what was the projected future capacity? 6,000 was it? I would have though something around 6,000 is about right especially if it was done in a way that could be expanded in time if needed.

• Advertisement

Competing for trophies
    Playing in Europe

So true every point you make there and so encouraging. The constant delays though with the redevelopment of Dalymount really worry me though. Pretty much everything is contingent on that going through.

Might go missed amid all the hype but we've an EA Sports Cup match tomorrow in Dalyer vs Cabinteely if anybody is around.

Yeah I'd hope there is a possibility of it being expanded in future.

But looking at it, we can only have 2750 home fans currently. A new stadium will have twice that. The amount of away fans, potentially, will be less than it currently is now.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Might go missed amid all the hype but we've an EA Sports Cup match tomorrow in Dalyer vs Cabinteely if anybody is around.

and a much changed side get a 2-1 win to move onto the Quarter-Finals to keep the great start to the season moving along.

Ryan Graydon looked very good last night, could be a good shout for a spot in the usual team potentially.

We usually look a few games ahead to plan away matches and we were all set to go to this but a family event has come up.

Looks like a great crowd going up. 2 buses, obviously gonna be people on the train doing the overnight and people who drive etc.

Great idea having it on the saturday. Really conducive to a big crowd you would think, particularly away fans travelling.

3 points there for the taking you would think

• Advertisement

We usually look a few games ahead to plan away matches and we were all set to go to this but a family event has come up.

Looks like a great crowd going up. 2 buses, obviously gonna be people on the train doing the overnight and people who drive etc.

Great idea having it on the saturday. Really conducive to a big crowd you would think, particularly away fans travelling.

3 points there for the taking you would think

Handy three points. I drove up myself from Tipperary, was handy on the Sat as don't need to take the time off.

I'll have to sneak out of work early on Friday, think I'll do an overnighter though.

We battered them

We battered them

I just listened to the Dundalk FM commentary. We've come a long way when you are coming away from Oriel devastated at a 0-1 loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

While making 7 changes from Friday. Things are looking up and I'm enjoying watching blobs run around a green field on the betting site streams after barely getting to watch a match the last 7 years. Been waiting to fly back for a cup final but hopefully a chance at an away game in Europe next year too the way things are going.

bohsman wrote: »
    While making 7 changes from Friday. Things are looking up and I'm enjoying watching blobs run around a green field on the betting site streams after barely getting to watch a match the last 7 years. Been waiting to fly back for a cup final but hopefully a chance at an away game in Europe next year too the way things are going.

It would not surprise me to see Bohs win a cup this season. With a home draw for the League Cup Quarter-Finals and current form a good chance of making the Semi-Finals there.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/McDonnellDan/status/1118149126309519361

Hopefully this is the case and we're awarded at least some of the money this year and we can keep the ball rolling

https://twitter.com/McDonnellDan/status/1118149126309519361

Hopefully this is the case and we're awarded at least some of the money this year and we can keep the ball rolling

Given how Dalymount is about the whole community and not just a football stadium I hope your right and things keep moving in the right direction with getting Dalymount redeveloped.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Luke Ward Slater is he injured or what has happened. Ha not been in a match day squad in quite a few weeks

Injured I think.

It's happened again!

We made bloody tough work of it though :D

My overriding emotion is how optimistic I am for the league though. 6500 there of a Tuesday. If ourselves and Pats get the stadium sorted soon you're gonna see crowds shoot up. Then add Harps, Drogheda, Dundalk etc.

"There’s untapped potential here that is worth fighting for"

https://twitter.com/McDonnellDan/status/1120815588006297601

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

Thanks very much from a cork city fan who had ye backed heavily to win 0-1!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

The TV/ midweek fixture myth didnt seem to work out. High profile game every Thursday night/ well advertised with good TV coverage would be great for the league. Lack of live sporting events on a Thursday night would be of benefit.

The LOI market isn't aimed at people who watch football on TV anyway, so I don't think TV would affect it too much. Maybe if it was freezing or lashing and the game was in Ballybofey, lads who might have went would decide to stay home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

How magically was last night

Danny grant is going to be a baller

Players I'll be calling into a meeting asap few extra quid if possible and beg to stay till end of season, Cornwall finnerty leahy Levingston grant and mandroiu be very worried people will come sniffing

• Advertisement
Advertisement