Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying apartment in Ballymun

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

YUYAXUAN wrote: »
    I found that the apartments in Ballymun are so cheap and look quite modern (at least from the pictures) comparing to many apartments in Dublin center and so.
    Rather than looking at the pictures, I suggest you visit yourself or even just look at Google Streetview. You might get a different impression. With the greatest respect to the sellers, in reality the exterior of those apartment blocks already looks dilapidated and in very poor repair. It's really hard to believe they were built relatively recently. Some of the ground floor retail units are also boarded up. The blocks are also located at a major junction approaching the M50/Ikea/airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

Hi guys. I need some suggestions from you. I found that the apartments in Ballymun are so cheap and look quite modern (at least from the pictures) comparing to many apartments in Dublin center and so.

I know Ballymun is more like a dodgy area to live in but I am bit tempted by the price there. I am wondering if the Ballymun is still that dodgy nowadays? And if I choose to find an apartment, where should I avoid? How about the places belows?

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-sale/ballymun/apartment-21-the-goulding-santry-cross-ballymun-dublin-1343105/

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-sale/ballymun/apt-32-the-hampton-santry-cross-ballymun-dublin-1322651/

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-sale/ballymun/the-hampton-santry-cross-ballymun-dublin-1340677/

Thanks!

I used to live up the road from there for 25 years and I moved out last year and can i honestly say I'm glad I moved.
    It is getting really bad there. Not to mention the checkpoint outside your door on the ballymun road. (Literally facing those apartments)

<mod snip>

There are good and bad in the area believe me I'm born and raised there but if your moving there for transport reasons or something like that I would avoid it.
    Thankfully I got a mortgage and moved.

I would suggest artane, castleknock or they have built some lovely places down at grand canal square.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

I dont know these apartment blocks but here is my two cents. I know people who have brought in equally 'nice areas'. The fact the lower ground units can't be let is a massive issue. You basically have a sizeable amount of the property paying no management fees. It also makes the development looks bad. Even if the residents of the development are perfect, there will be issues from the residents in the area. That isnt a bad part of Ballymun, but there will be issues still. I imagine most of these apartments are owned by investors. In investor owned apartment blocks, little money is spent on maintenance of common areas. Why would you though? You are reducing your yield for little benefit. I know an apartment block that was about 100 apartments, 100% BTL owned. The apartment block wasnt painted once in 20 years and the management company were told by the investors not to replace the constantly breaking down lifts.

Those apartments honestly are horrific looking from the outside. They look about 3/4 times how old they actually are. If it is for an investment, where you dont expect capital appreciation than go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I worked on the estate beside it, its interesting looking at the pictures now. They have taken really good care of it.

OP, most of the people in the area are decent. But if your not from Ballymun, I wouldn't bother with anything around that area. You need to know the people to stand a chance of happily living there.

Oh I forgot to mention and those photos seem to be old and taken in the summer. Because there is a chip shop and a tanning salon directly beneath you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

I would let this go and search for something else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Hi guys. I need some suggestions from you. I found that the apartments in Ballymun are so cheap and look quite modern (at least from the pictures) comparing to many apartments in Dublin center and so.

I know Ballymun is more like a dodgy area to live in but I am bit tempted by the price there. I am wondering if the Ballymun is still that dodgy nowadays? And if I choose to find an apartment, where should I avoid? How about the places belows?

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-sale/ballymun/apartment-21-the-goulding-santry-cross-ballymun-dublin-1343105/

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-sale/ballymun/apt-32-the-hampton-santry-cross-ballymun-dublin-1322651/

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-sale/ballymun/the-hampton-santry-cross-ballymun-dublin-1340677/

Thanks!

Just my 2 cents worth , avoid, avoid, avoid, I knew someone renting in the Hampton yrs ago,lots of anti social behaviour, cars getting damaged, ferral teenagers running amok with security constantly chasing them.
    A guy died who was thrown off the top floor at a party yrs back, google The Hampton.

Would not go near any of the Apartments you have in your links.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It's not the area that puts me off, but these exact apartments. They look crap and is always busy with cars parking.

Ballymun can be OK, I done the CSO up there this year and I can honestly say I hadn't got one bit of bother but I'd look at different units. I just don't like the style and design of those apartment blocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,058 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Normally I take issue with people calling their homes property or investments but someone buying an apartment to live in usually plans on a house further down the road. I also hate talking down areas. Good and bad people everywhere. However in your case if you plan to sell the apartment in a few years and upscale then you need to consider the resale value. This doesn't look like the place for you op

• Registered Users Posts: 32 YUYAXUAN

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I think this cools me down a lot about Ballymun!! Besides, I am looking for a 2 bed apartment (better a bit modern), which can be a bit away from the city center(Budget saving!!). Any areas you recommend?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I think this cools me down a lot about Ballymun!! Besides, I am looking for a 2 bed apartment (better a bit modern), which can be a bit away from the city center(Budget saving!!). Any areas you recommend?

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/276-parklands-northwood-santry-dublin-9/3807735?RegionId=1450&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=200000&MinBeds=&MaxBeds=&MinSize=&MaxSize=&MinBathrooms=&MinEnergyRating=&Query=&PreSixtyThree=&Page=1&PropertyTypeIds=36&view=

Northwood despite being less than 5 mins of the other apartments is supposed to be really excellent to live in. The management company is amazing and the residents are great according to someone I know who lives there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

Just to agree with some of the comments - I've heard that the OMCs of some of those developments near the junction of Ballymun/Santry Avenue are controlled by landlords/investors who want the minimum spent on the upkeep of common areas. I live in one of the developments in Northwood, and certainly in Temple Lawns/Gardens/Court and Parklands there is a lot of input by owner-occupiers into the running of developments

Grand canal dock.

Waterside side Ringsend

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Thanks!

Well there is a reason the prices are tempting :D

I'm well able to handle myself, but if you threw me the apartment for free I'd probably still say no. Where are you originally from? To be honest I'd say it's a rare person that could move into Ballymun having not grown up there and end up getting on grand.

All the work that has gone on still hasn't sorted out many of the problems there. Was only driving through there a few weeks ago in morning rush hour traffic to collect a friend in Fibbsorough and while at a red light saw a dealer sort out a few people. Talking like 9:10 in the morning like, packed road, beside a bus stop with plenty of people at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Despite the doom and gloom in this thread these apartments are in high demand. All seem to be occupied and rents have increased just like everywhere else in recent years. It's near DCU so always students looking to rent etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Denny_Crane

OP what budget are you looking at? Whats your level of tolerance for local 'characters'?

srsly78 wrote: »
    Despite the doom and gloom in this thread these apartments are in high demand. All seem to be occupied and rents have increased just like everywhere else in recent years. It's near DCU so always students looking to rent etc.

High demand, especially for a particular demographic, renting is quite different from the considerations of an owner occupier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

High demand, especially for a particular demographic, renting is quite different from the considerations of an owner occupier.

Surely you would consider Kilbarrack to be a more suitable location ;)

athtrasna wrote: »

I'd need to know the budget. There's been some price increases in D5 around the dart lines of late. It appears some total gentleman moved into the area and put the word out that houses were going for stupidly low amounts of money. :pac:

Still plenty to be had in the surrounding areas though!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

athtrasna wrote: »

Certainly would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

i have lived in ballymun for years and never had any problems ,
    All the new council buildings in ballymun have high security steel doors and windows with unbreakable glass .
    The Private apartments on main st may be built to lower specs
    re glass and doors .
    If I was buying there i,d buy on the 1st or higher floors .
    its a working class area ,its not dublin 4 or rathmines .
    hence the cheap price .
    like ANY WORKING class area there some people who use drugs and drink to excess.
    Its much quieter since the tower blocks were knocked down .
    the only thing that annoys me is random people asking for bus fare money .
    if you buy a unit now don,t be expecting any big rise in value in 3 years.
    90 Per cent of the units in the area are owned by the council and will
    never be offered for sale .
    Theres a few blocks on main st that are privately owned ,
    and theres always a few units for sale .
    i dont, consider northwood to be part of ballymun .

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

riclad wrote: »
    i have lived in ballymun for years and never had any problems ,
    All the new council buildings in ballymun have high security steel doors and windows with unbreakable glass .
    The Private apartments on main st may be built to lower specs
    re glass and doors .
    If I was buying there i,d buy on the 1st or higher floors .
    So, having lived there you agree for the need of high security steel doors and unbreakable glass, as well as avoiding the ground floor?

OP, unless you have ties to the area, I wouldn't.

I think all apartments Everywhere should be built with high security 3lever locks and unbreakable glass , since its only a tiny part of the cost of construction .

and it provides extra security.
    it sounds as if the private flats are built to a lower standard than
    council apartments .
    do you want to pay 100k plus for an Apartment with a 10 euro lock on the door.like if you buy a car do you not expect to get at least a stereo radio built in ,with a cd player
    since its 000.0001 per cent of the cost .
    IF i pay 200 euro for a phone i, d expect to get a set of headphones with it.
    I Think the council apartments were designed to a high standard and to be secure
    ,is that not a good thing.
    do people in any area not deserve a secure dwelling ?

Common sense tells you if you buy in any area ,
    the lower ground floor unit is most likely to get broken into.
    as opposed to a unit on the top floor .
    i Think Every building should have unbreakable glass , at least on the ground floor
    as its more secure and its not that expensive vs the total building cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

newacc2015 wrote: »
    https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/276-parklands-northwood-santry-dublin-9/3807735?RegionId=1450&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=200000&MinBeds=&MaxBeds=&MinSize=&MaxSize=&MinBathrooms=&MinEnergyRating=&Query=&PreSixtyThree=&Page=1&PropertyTypeIds=36&view=

Northwood despite being less than 5 mins of the other apartments is supposed to be really excellent to live in. The management company is amazing and the residents are great according to someone I know who lives there.

I lived in Northwood for a few years. It might be only 5 minutes away from Ballymun but in reality its a world away from it.

I went to northwood it has a few nice shops, its a middle class area ,
    maybe 5 minutes drive from ballymun.
    Theres loads of parking space,s and green spaces there .
    So i d say the apartments there would be more expensive to buy than an apartment in ballymun .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I lived in those apartments (Turnpike and Claremont) for a few years and I would only recommend the side of the road the hotel is on. It's more private than the other side, quieter too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 RichRooskey

Hi All,

Following on from an old tread. Just wondering if anyone is living in College View, Ballymun, and would like to share what it's like?. I am thinking of buying in the area as I am priced out of a lot of areas and wondering if this complex worth it.

Thanks in advance,

Hi All,

Following on from an old tread. Just wondering if anyone is living in College View, Ballymun, and would like to share what it's like?. I am thinking of buying in the area as I am priced out of a lot of areas and wondering if this complex worth it.

Thanks in advance,

Don't do it. Not a nice place.

I lived somewhat nearby (Santry) and passed by there everyday.

Advertisement