Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused with no claims bonus options

Options
  • 12-12-2016 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    Trying to sort out insurance for my folks.

Confused about the difference in the bonus protection options... Which is best and what do they mean?

Cheers,
    Mick

nlwnxc.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,087 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

The I (information) button beside each one will explain

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Click on the little 'i' icons to the right of each option!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭micks_address

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    The I (information) button beside each one will explain

Thanks but what do they mean in lay man's terms? The explanations aren't very clear.
    Cheers,
    Mick

My understanding was that protected means your discount remains even if you make a claim whereas step back means you go from full bonus to 2 or so years

doesnt stop them loading your premium pre discount though.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    My understanding was that protected means your discount remains even if you make a claim whereas step back means you go from full bonus to 2 or so years

doesnt stop them loading your premium pre discount though.

With that logic no claims bonus would be most expensive option? It's not though.. The no claims bonus with step back is..

• Advertisement

What the i for each says

Step-back No Claims discount
    For an extra premium, you will not lose your entire No Claim discount if you make a single claim or one arises during any period of insurance.

Protected No Claims discount
    For an extra premium, this allows you to make up to two claims in a three year period, without losing your No claim discount. (We will not take account of windscreen damage, fire or theft claims

Protected No Claims Discount with Stepback
    For an extra premium. this allows you to make up to two claims in a three year period, without losing your No claim discount. (We will not take account of windscreen damage, fire or theft claims). For subsequent claims, Stepback no claim discount applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭Sono

Fully protected bonus with step back means you can have 1 claim(some allow 2) every 3 years with no effect on NCB, however should you have another claim within that 3 year period you go to step back so would lose 3 years of your NCB.

Anyone who can afford to protected their NCB and doesn't is very silly imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭Sono

What the i for each says

Step-back No Claims discount
    For an extra premium, you will not lose your entire No Claim discount if you make a single claim or one arises during any period of insurance.

Protected No Claims discount
    For an extra premium, this allows you to make up to two claims in a three year period, without losing your No claim discount. (We will not take account of windscreen damage, fire or theft claims

Protected No Claims Discount with Stepback
    For an extra premium. this allows you to make up to two claims in a three year period, without losing your No claim discount. (We will not take account of windscreen damage, fire or theft claims). For subsequent claims, Stepback no claim discount applies.

You've just answered your own question

Sono wrote: »
    You've just answered your own question

So second one lets me claim twice in three years with no effect on no claims bonus?

Option three lets me claim more that twice in two years?

Apologies if this is totally obvious to everyone else...

Is option three worth an extra 30 euro per year over option 2?

Depends on how bad a driver your relative is!

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Depends on how bad a driver your relative is!
    I don't think they have had a single claim in at least 20 years

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Just don't forget that even if your NCB stays the same, your premium can increase regardless. NCB is a factor in the premium calculation just.

I don't think they have had a single claim in at least 20 years

Depends on how big €30 is in relation to the premium. I'd def get some form of no claims protection either way.
    Check the excess too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Take at least the second option and the third one if money allows.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

The dual protection with step back bonus is by far best value for money...

Yes, u may not have had claim for 20yrs but if u had 1 bad day this year well there's a good chance a 2nd claim would follow.

If u don't take the extra step back cover, then a simple theft claim could wipe out your 5yrs hard earned NCB

Advertisement