Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A 4th Ballon D'Or for Cristiano Ronaldo

• 12-12-2016 9:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

093526_1.jpg

He beats Messi into 2nd to win the title of World's Best Player.

Across all comps for club and country, Ronaldo had 50 goals and 18 assists. Messi had 58 goals and 34 assists.

Messi won La Liga and the Copa, while Ronaldo won the Champions League and Euros.

Also, Jamie Vardy got himself 8th place, while Mahrez got 7th. Fair dues.

See the full list below.

http://en.as.com/en/2016/12/12/football/1481559328_999880.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

International football matters. As much as some people would like to pretend it doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

SlickRic wrote: »
    Across all comps for club and country, Ronaldo had 50 goals and 18 assists. Messi had 58 goals and 34 assists.

Insane numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

093526_1.jpg

Messi won La Liga and the Copa, while Ronaldo won the Champions League and Euros.

See the full list below.

Real Madrid won the Champions League and Portugal won the euros. Likewise it was Barca who won La Liga and the Copa.

Ronaldo had an absolute stinker in the final of the champions league and left the field early in the final.

Suarez was better than Messi last season aswell.

As long as Ronaldo and Messi are standing upright they will swap the top 2 places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I think he just deserved it.The award is really for the 2015/2016 season including the international competitions and considering his teams won the 2 major trophies in that period and he was the leading attacking player on both scoring big goals along the way I think he just deserved it.

However I'd say it is almost certainly the last one he's going to get. If Messi shows anywhere near the form he's shown so far for the rest of the season then he has it wrapped up.I think Messi's been a decent bit better this season than he was last season.He seemed to play a slightly more deferential role last season whereas this season he's back to his very very best.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Messi in 2016:
    Most GOALS
    Most ASSISTS
    Most DRIBBLES
    Most HATTRICKS
    Most FREEKICK
    Most CHANCES CREATED

The numbers say it all. You could look at deeper stats like goals per shot ratio and they show Messi in an even more superior light but really what's the point? Jorge Mendes had this sown up from the get go.

And to cap it off Suarez finished behind Griezmann and there's Rui Patricio on the list too. Like, what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Messi in 2016:
    Most GOALS
    Most ASSISTS
    Most DRIBBLES
    Most HATTRICKS
    Most FREEKICK
    Most CHANCES CREATED

The numbers say it all. You could look at deeper stats like goals per shot ratio and they show Messi in an even more superior light but really what's the point? Jorge Mendes had this sown up from the get go.

And to cap it off Suarez finished behind Griezmann and there's Rui Patricio on the list too. Like, what?

Most international retirement tantrums?

J. Marston wrote: »
    Most international retirement tantrums?

Exactly, any individual stats that may favour Ronaldo are pretty much all off-pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Suarez not getting top 3 is criminal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Suarez should have won it Ronaldo was poor in the CL final and it's not like he won the final of the Euros for Portugal on his own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Pepe should have won it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

I didnt even know this was being announced today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

The Champions League and Euros matter.

That's all that happened. It's not difficult to understand.

If Eder doesn't score, and certainly if Argentina win the Copa America, Ronaldo doesn't win tonight and Messi does.

Certain trophies really matter.

The Champions League and Euros matter.

That's all that happened. It's not difficult to understand.

If Eder doesn't score, and certainly if Argentina win the Copa America, Ronaldo doesn't win tonight and Messi does.

Certain trophies really matter.

You're right in what you say, that's what decided the voting tonight.

However I would ask is that really the correct way to judge individual performance? Eder missing a penalty. Juanfran missing a penalty. I also wonder how these things automatically lead to a default Ronaldo win when I think there's an argument to be made that over the course of the last year he's not even been Real Madrid's best player.

However I would ask is that really the correct way to judge individual performance? Eder missing a penalty. Juanfran missing a penalty. I also wonder how these things automatically lead to a default Ronaldo win when I think there's an argument to be made that over the course of the last year he's not even been Real Madrid's best player.

It's a team sport so is it correct to have awards for individual performances?

International tournaments have always had a massive impact on the destination of the ballon do'r/World Player of the year award. Ronaldo won it in 2002 simply for the goals he scored at the world cup,Cannavaro won it in 2006 for his world cup performances,

It's always Ronaldo or Messi at this stage. It's just how it is.

It also helps that heir numbers are astonishing. We shouldn't lose sight of just how remarkable they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

WELL deserved helped his team to the two biggest trophies this year. was running up and down encouraging his team mates on the side lines as apposed to crying and retiring

Was never in doubt after the euros. Deserved it tbh

It's a team sport so is it correct to have awards for individual performances?

International tournaments have always had a massive impact on the destination of the ballon do'r/World Player of the year award. Ronaldo won it in 2002 simply for the goals he scored at the world cup,Cannavaro won it in 2006 for his world cup performances,

Not really no. How do you correlate goals to goal saving tackles? Or dribbles to matching the run of an attacker off the ball? Individual awards in a team sport are inherently flawed.

That being said, this is then world we live in, a world with a golden ball given to the star players of the mega-clubs. While the international tournaments having a major impact on Balon D'or point is true, there's two things working against that argument. The first being how decidedly average Ronaldo was in the Euros, the second being that while Ronaldo and Cannavaro won it for their international tournament performances, those were in years where Messi wasn't being Messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Best player in the world gets recognised once again, and well deserved once again.

WELL deserved helped his team to the two biggest trophies this year. was running up and down encouraging his team mates on the side lines as apposed to crying and retiring

So he won it for cheerleading? Looking forward to the New England Patriot Cheerleading team making a go of it next year.

• Advertisement

The first being how decidedly average Ronaldo was in the Euros

This just isn't true.

Bar the final, most of the moments that mattered for Portugal in the final 3rd involved Ronaldo.

He wasn't the tournament's best player by any stretch, but he wasn't 'average'.

It's always Ronaldo or Messi at this stage. It's just how it is.

It also helps that heir numbers are astonishing. We shouldn't lose sight of just how remarkable they are.

True, that has become the status quo but I simply think it's incorrect.

• Thoroughly deserved, was never in doubt for C Ronaldo
    Actually thought Greizmann should have got 2nd

This just isn't true.

Bar the final, most of the moments that mattered for Portugal in the final 3rd involved Ronaldo.

He wasn't the tournament's best player by any stretch, but he wasn't 'average'.

Messi scored 5 goals and registered 4 assists in the Copa America but alas....

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Thoroughly deserved, was never in doubt for C Ronaldo
    Actually thought Greizmann should have got 2nd

Leaving aside hype and basing it purely in terms of contribution on the pitch, Ronaldo wouldn't have made top ten for me. He literally wouldn't even be in my Real Madrid top 2.

So he won it for cheerleading? Looking forward to the New England Patriot Cheerleading team making a go of it next year.

How do those lemons taste?

• Leaving aside hype and basing it purely in terms of contribution on the pitch, Ronaldo wouldn't have made top ten for me. He literally wouldn't even be in my Real Madrid top 2.

That's great but I don't believe anything you post so as the saying goes, Cool story bro

Wouldn't even make the top ten lol

Leaving aside hype and basing it purely in terms of contribution on the pitch, Ronaldo wouldn't have made top ten for me. He literally wouldn't even be in my Real Madrid top 2.

Yes I mean 50 goals and 18 assists that's just utter S H I T.

hahahahah Na na nana na.

Cry me a ****ing river.

I'd love for city to buy ronaldo. I'd bet he'd be in your top 10 then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Some amount of winding up going on in this thread ;)

• Advertisement

• Pains me to say it....Suarez should have been 3
    Cracker of a year too tbf

• brevity wrote: »

Apparently Ronaldo isn't even top 10

Pains me to say it....Suarez should have been 3
    Cracker of a year too tbf

Nah for me Suarez wouldn't have made top25.......

THIS IS MY NEW FAVOURITE THREAD.

STICKY THIS PLEASE

brevity wrote: »

And the same lads reacting!! Priceless

It's a fun read on a quiet night

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    And the same lads reacting!! Priceless

It's a fun read on a quiet night

AH ze bants

• Advertisement

Ronaldo did get 3 goals and 3 assists in the Euros which means he was directly involved in 2/3rds of Portugals goals in the Euros. That's pretty good going in fairness.

Messi was directly involved in half of Argentina goals in the Copa America.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

093526_1.jpg

See the full list below.

Messi didn't win the Copa? Lost in the final again didn't he.

AH ze bants

Bantztastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Ronaldo owes a massive thank you to his teammates for this one. I don't think he was the most influential player for either club or country in their trophy winning runs, imho.

Ronaldo did get 3 goals and 3 assists in the Euros which means he was directly involved in 2/3rds of Portugals goals in the Euros. That's pretty good going in fairness.

AH copa America is the equivalent of the carling cup. Nothing teams bill.

CR7 did it against the big teams

• Advertisement

• Ronaldo did get 3 goals and 3 assists in the Euros which means he was directly involved in 2/3rds of Portugals goals in the Euros. That's pretty good going in fairness.

I know it's January - January but only for Ronaldo Portugal wouldn't have got to the finals in the first place from what I can recall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I love Ronaldo but I feel this is one he didn't deserve. Surez for me was the best player. How he didn't make it in the top 3 was not right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Good man Ronnie. Always good for bringing out the whingers.

sky88 wrote: »
    I love Ronaldo but I feel this is one he didn't deserve. Surez for me was the best player. How he didn't make it in the top 3 was not right.

Perhaps they were afraid he was going to take a bite out of the trophy to make sure it was real gold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I would have given it to Messi.
    But I wouldn't begrudge Ronaldo the award.

To win the Ballon Do'r at 31 while not at his peak anymore shows you what an incredible player he is.
    We won't see players to the level of Messi & Ronaldo for a very long time.

How do those lemons taste?

Beautiful, all 5(!) of them.

Apparently Ronaldo isn't even top 10

And apparently Griezmann is better than Messi and Suarez....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Clicked on thread hoping for the best.

Turns in to the predictable one poster circus again.

Honestly, anyone with any semblance of sense and impartiality wouldn't begrudge Ronaldo, Messi or Suarez winning it. Could split hairs over the ins and outs but that's about it.

Anyway well done Ronaldo. Amazing career.

• And apparently Griezmann is better than Messi and Suarez....

Greizmann had a fantastic year
    But that's my opinion

But for anybody to say that Ronaldo isn't even top ten is clearly talking ****e regardless of opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Why do people still engage? I thought everyone knew the drill?

• Advertisement
Advertisement