Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A 4th Ballon D'Or for Cristiano Ronaldo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

And apparently Griezmann is better than Messi and Suarez....

Ronaldo is better than them too, officially.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Greizmann had a fantastic year
    But that's my opinion

But for anybody to say that Ronaldo isn't even top ten is clearly talking ****e regardless of opinion

If you want I can find you some actual Real Madrid fans (you know, the kind who go to games) saying that he's not even been their best player this season.

His goalscoring record, his name and his agent (with a tonne of campaigning) have won it for him. In terms of judging it based on football matches played this year he absolutely would not be my top candidate from Real Madrid. Luka Modric, Kroos and probably Bale have all performed better, Ramos has been more influential in big moments, Pepe was more important for club and country in their 2 cup wins. Living on reputation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

WELL deserved helped his team to the two biggest trophies this year. was running up and down encouraging his team mates on the side lines as apposed to crying and retiring

Yes because Ronaldo never threw a hissy fit in his career?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Well done Ronaldo.

Messi can consider himself the second best priest

• Why do people still engage? I thought everyone knew the drill?

Yep you are right Fred. I'm out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

If you want I can find you some actual Real Madrid fans (you know, the kind who go to games) saying that he's not even been their best player this season.

It's needless stuff like this that ends up coming back to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

hefferboi wrote: »
    Yes because Ronaldo never threw a hissy fit in his career?

Not one that resulted in him retiring from international football anyway.

Corholio wrote: »
    It's needless stuff like this that ends up coming back to you.

That was actually a dig at those Ronaldo fanboy twitter accounts that tweet constantly about the man but clearly never actually watch him live. You're seeing ulterior motives where there are none.

Not one that resulted in him retiring from international football anyway.

The lack of understanding of that situation is hurting my head. I remember Second Captains did a brilliant podcast on that topic before, and used an Argentine journalist to explain the divide between players and the Argentina FA and also the players and the Argentine media. Should give it a listen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

His goalscoring record, his name and his agent (with a tonne of campaigning) have won it for him. In terms of judging it based on football matches played this year he absolutely would not be my top candidate from Real Madrid. Luka Modric, Kroos and probably Bale have all performed better, Ramos has been more influential in big moments, Pepe was more important for club and country in their 2 cup wins. Living on reputation.

You must run up a lot of mileage travelling from Barcelona to Munich to Manchester on a weekly basis.

Also If reputation can get you 50 goals and 18 assists in a year can you let me know where to buy some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

The lack of understanding of that situation is hurting my head. I remember Second Captains did a brilliant podcast on that topic before, and used an Argentine journalist to explain the divide between players and the Argentina FA and also the players and the Argentine media. Should give it a listen.
    My guess is your head has been hurting for a very long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Laughable how much denigration of Ronaldo's ability/achievements/career (delete as applicable) takes place whenever he's discussed. There wasn't much in it between himself and Messi last season, it could have easily gone the other way, but, I suppose major international trophies do count - no matter if we're often told the contrary. Fair play to him.

I used to despise him when he played for United, but then, eventually, I realised that my preciously held bitterness was holding me back from accepting reality: he's one of the greatest to ever play the game. The amount of one eyed hate he receives means my respect for him isn't even borne with a grudge these days.

You must run up a lot of mileage travelling from Barcelona to Munich to Manchester on a weekly basis.

Also If reputation can get you 50 goals and 18 assists in a year can you let me know where to buy some.

How many of those were in the knockout rounds again? He got a hat trick against Atletico and a goal against Wales, that's quite good tbf, but compare then amount of goals he's scored in big games against Messi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Yes I mean 50 goals and 18 assists that's just utter S H I T.

hahahahah Na na nana na.

Cry me a ****ing river.

I'd love for city to buy ronaldo. I'd bet he'd be in your top 10 then.

Thought he was a Chelsea fan?

titan18 wrote: »
    Thought he was a Chelsea fan?

AH forgot about them..add them to the list.

• Advertisement

How many of those were in the knockout rounds again? He got a hat trick against Atletico and a goal against Wales, that's quite good tbf, but compare then amount of goals he's scored in big games against Messi?

He scored a hat trick in the second leg of the quarter final when they were 2-0 from the first leg.

He scored the first goal against Wales in the Semi Final of the European Championships.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Ronaldo didn't deserve it this season. Wasn't instrumental in either of his teams victories. Often times he made stuff much harder for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Arghus wrote: »
    Laughable how much denigration of Ronaldo's ability/achievements/career (delete as applicable) takes place whenever he's discussed. There wasn't much in it between himself and Messi last season, it could have easily gone the other way, but, I suppose major international trophies do count - no matter if we're often told the contrary. Fair play to him.

I used to despise him when he played for United, but then, eventually, I realised that my preciously held bitterness was holding me back from accepting reality: he's one of the greatest to ever play the game. The amount of one eyed hate he receives means my respect for him isn't even borne with a grudge these days.

Yes but he seems to be immune from criticism especially on here. If anyone dares to say that Messi might be a better player it's only because they are bitter and hate the bloke. I don't think he will be remembered in the same way as a Maradona or a Pele myself where as Messi will be.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Yes but he seems to be immune from criticism especially on here. If anyone dares to say that Messi might be a better player it's only because they are bitter and hate the bloke. I don't think he will be remembered in the same way as a Maradona or a Pele myself where as Messi will be.

No he isn't.

I'd say the majority of people here say Messi is a better player, but it doesn't mean Ronaldo isn't a great player either.People are constantly criticizing Ronaldo here, a few posters never shut up about him and try to portray him as some sort of bog standard player who happens to be lucky all the time.

No he isn't.

I'd say the majority of people here say Messi is a better player, but it doesn't mean Ronaldo isn't a great player either.People are constantly criticizing Ronaldo here, a few posters never shut up about him and try to portray him as some sort of bog standard player who happens to be lucky all the time.

Where are these posters?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Ronaldo owes a massive thank you to his teammates for this one. I don't think he was the most influential player for either club or country in their trophy winning runs, imho.

Same with Messi for most of his Balon d'Ors, without his Barca teammates he rarely reached those heights with country.

Ronaldo did it no matter where he was, will go down as one of the greatest ever surely.

Same with Messi for most of his Balon d'Ors, without his Barca teammates he rarely reached those heights with country.

Ronaldo did it no matter where he was, will go down as one of the greatest ever surely.

Getting to a world cup final wasn't bad.

Where are these posters?

Don't you have a mirror?

No he isn't.

Isn't that the point I'm making if someone thinks Ronaldo was not that influential for his Madrid others seem to take it as meaning he is a bog standard player.

Getting to a world cup final wasn't bad.

OH Snap. I can remember him being pretty dreadful in that world cup

Player of the tournament.

Don't you have a mirror?

I've described him at various times as one of the greatest goal scorers ever, is that the level of "bog standard" players now?

I was just responding to the post saying Messi never reached the same heights without his Barca teammates. It doesn't get bigger than a world cup final.

Don't think he's immune from criticism at all. He gets plenty of stick, obviously not all of it is rooted in bitterness, but it sometimes is - and in some cases, utter delusion.

I think Messi is the superior player, but in a weird way, I admire Ronaldo more.

Messi is a genius, he's magic. But I love how Ronaldo makes me think, "ah that's it, he really is a prat", after some fit of petulance, or the umpteenth free kick smashed into the wall and then, sure as night follows day, he'll deliver. I personally think his grit and determination and emotionally demonstrative desire to succeed is easier to identify with, wheras Messi often leaves me feeling like I've just watched a pint-sized T1000 lay waste to a few pesky humans.

My sentiment towards Messi winning that award is almost identical to how I feel about Ronaldo winning this.

• Advertisement

Where are these posters?

Good one.

Isn't that the point I'm making if someone thinks Ronaldo was not that influential for his Madrid others seem to take it as meaning he is a bog standard player.

A certain couple of posters like to damn him with feint praise by saying he's a great goalscorer as if he's like a Portuguese Flippo Inzaghi. He's clearly a lot more than that over his whole career.

Scoring goals is by far the most influential thing you can do for your team.

Turtwig wrote: »
    My sentiment towards Messi winning that award is almost identical to how I feel about Ronaldo winning this.

It's blatantly obvious that individual awards in football are stupid and pointless but perhaps right here on the soccer forum of Boards.ie, on this very night we might actually find, for the first time, a true use for individual awards in football. We all know these awards are stupid and pointless, so maybe that knowledge could bring us all together, it might unite the clans and allow the soccer forum of Boards.ie to universally agree on something for the first time ever.

A certain couple of posters like to damn him with feint praise by saying he's a great goalscorer as if he's like a Portuguese Flippo Inzaghi. He's clearly a lot more than that over his whole career.

Scoring goals is by far the most influential thing you can do for your team.

I usually use Gerd Muller as the comparison.

By the way, his stats this season and last pretty much illustrate that he's exactly what you say he is not, which only makes this more fun.

On the contrary I think individual awards do serve a little bit of a purpose. Individual qualities do deserve some form of commendation. That said, I do agree the overall significance of these awards is greatly blown out of proportion.

Turtwig wrote: »
    On the contrary I think individual awards do serve a little bit of a purpose. Individual qualities do deserve some form of commendation. That said, I do agree the overall significance of these awards is greatly blown out of proportion.

So close to a breakthrough there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I don't know how anyone could begrudge Ronaldo winning the award this year. Just have to think back a few months when Ronaldo was lifting the European Championship trophy while Messi around the same time was quitting international football over his disappointment at losing the Copa America final. This was Ronaldo's year.

I've described him at various times as one of the greatest goal scorers ever, is that the level of "bog standard" players now?

But again. Not In the top 10 players in a given season when he's scored 50 goals and has 18 assists helping his team win both the European championships and champions league.

It's this level of contradiction that makes you a.laighing stock.

I usually use Gerd Muller as the comparison.

By the way, his stats this season and last pretty much illustrate that he's exactly what you say he is not, which only makes this more fun.

Christ you're deluded, which makes this even more fun. I have to hand it to you though. You're one of the few people that can unite United and pool fans in their disdain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Yep, and that was right up there with how pathetic it was that Giggs got that POTY award too. Absolute shambles of a decision, he even looked embarrassed himself.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

It's blatantly obvious that individual awards in football are stupid and pointless but perhaps right here on the soccer forum of Boards.ie, on this very night we might actually find, for the first time, a true use for individual awards in football. We all know these awards are stupid and pointless, so maybe that knowledge could bring us all together, it might unite the clans and allow the soccer forum of Boards.ie to universally agree on something for the first time ever.

So individual awards are dumb but you're campaigning for Messi to win base on his individualism......and refuse to recognise that Ronaldos endevalours with madrid and portugal and his team triumphs are what pipped messi to the post......I'm confused.

Yep, and that was right up there with how pathetic it was that Giggs got that POTY award too. Absolute shambles of a decision, he even looked embarrassed himself.

As should Ronaldo tonight but he lacks that type of awareness.

Hahaha honestly if you could keep track of your ramblings it would be great as the inconsistencies and thought patterns lose all meaning after page 3

Yeah, that must be it alright.

Remember before you lost the magic and used to be good at what you did here? Fun times.

At this rate I may not even notice the next time you quit the site in a hissy fit, only to return 6 minutes later :(

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Hahaha honestly if you could keep track of your ramblings it would be great as the inconsistencies and thought patterns lose all meaning after page 3

I literally won this debate a page ago, I'm doing a bit of banter now as an encore type thing and now I'm gonna take my leave from the stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Suarez deaerved it.

Top everything in 2015/2016, goals, assists.

Sadly a la ligue doesn't compared to a CL and Euros for Portugal.

I literally won this debate a page ago, I'm doing a bit of banter now as an encore type thing and now I'm gonna take my leave from the stage.

:D right on que, bet you don't though!

In fariness, Messi wouldn't be the player he is today if it wasn't for the systemic doping Barca did for him in his teens.

It's during page one if you've the settings on right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Why are people even talking about Messi here? He isn't even the best player on his team never mind in the world, something those who vote for the Ballon d'or obviously recognise. After bringing both his club and country to European glory its obvious that Ronaldo was the best player in the world and fully deserved to win this yet again. Come on, another 50+ goals, for the sixth or seventh season in a row, thats just amazing and really highlights just why he is yet again the greatest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement