Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A 4th Ballon D'Or for Cristiano Ronaldo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Interesting to see who'll win fifa award in January.

They split the Balon D'or and fifa award up that's nobody knew it was on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It was between Ronaldo and Suarez for me.

Ronaldo always going get it for Portugal alone though.

Think it will be his last one though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Turtwig wrote: »
    Ronaldo didn't deserve it this season. Wasn't instrumental in either of his teams victories. Often times he made stuff much harder for them.

I agree.

The amount of baiting and whataboutery in every single thread on the topic of Messi and/or Ronaldo (actually, scrap the 'or', it's never just about one of them) make them a real chore to get through, but trying to be reasoned about it I don't think Ronaldo deserved the Balon d'Or this year. One of the all-time greats, but it doesn't sit well with me that he is pretty much being awarded a top individual prize for two team victories in which he didn't exactly set the world alight. The not insignificant roles that Juanfran, Eder and Higuain played in where the award went just doesn't seem right.

I don't know if Messi should have won it either, perhaps Suarez. But I don't think Ronaldo was deserving of this one. It might sound a little ridiculous, but I would say even someone like Ngolo Kante played a much more instrumental role in a major team achievement in 2016 that Ronaldo did. Maybe my expectations of Messi and Ronaldo are just crazily high; he did score an amazing amount of goals again after all.

EDIT: Also, Rui Patricio!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

elefant wrote: »
    I agree.

The amount of baiting and whataboutery in every single thread on the topic of Messi and/or Ronaldo (actually, scrap the 'or', it's never just about one of them) make them a real chore to get through, but trying to be reasoned about it I don't think Ronaldo deserved the Balon d'Or this year. One of the all-time greats, but it doesn't sit well with me that he is pretty much being awarded a top individual prize for two team victories in which he didn't exactly set the world alight. The not insignificant roles that Juanfran, Eder and Higuain played in where the award went just doesn't seem right.

I don't know if Messi should have won it either, perhaps Suarez. But I don't think Ronaldo was deserving of this one. It might sound a little ridiculous, but I would say even someone like Ngolo Kante played a much more instrumental role in a major team achievement in 2016 that Ronaldo did. Maybe my expectations of Messi and Ronaldo are just crazily high; he did score an amazing amount of goals again after all.

EDIT: Also, Rui Patricio!?

He was the top scorer for both his club and country last season.That's a pretty significant role.Scoring goals is pretty much the most significant thing you can do for any team.He may not be the all round player he was a few years ago but scoring that amount of goals across a season is seriously impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Messi in 2016:
    Most GOALS
    Most ASSISTS
    Most DRIBBLES
    Most HATTRICKS
    Most FREEKICK
    Most CHANCES CREATED
    Since when is most dribbles a thing?

He was the top scorer for both his club and country last season.That's a pretty significant role.Scoring goals is pretty much the most significant thing you can do for any team.He may not be the all round player he was a few years ago but scoring that amount of goals across a season is seriously impressive.

Seriously impressive, I don't disagree at all. Messi scored more overall though in the year. Suarez scored more in the league last season. Griezemann scored more in the Euros. Ronaldo scored most in the CL. So if your judging on goals, how does that tally?

I'm trying not to set specific players off against each other, but the criteria for choosing this seems flawed to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Maybe my expectations of Messi and Ronaldo are just crazily high

Its pretty obvious that they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Seriously impressive, I don't disagree at all. Messi scored more overall though in the year. Suarez scored more in the league last season. Griezemann scored more in the Euros. Ronaldo scored most in the CL. So if your judging on goals, how does that tally?

I'm trying not to set specific players off against each other, but the criteria for choosing this seems flawed to me.

The goals combined with the team success are what got him the award.If France and Atletico had won in those finals Griezmann would have had a much better chance of winning the award . The award is really for for the 2015-16 season and in that period Ronaldo scored only 3 goals less than Suarez and had more team success.

Anything that involves humans deciding what is the best is flawed.There is no actual criteria for decided the award just peoples opinions.

There was very little in the award this year and you could have made the argument that Suarez,Ronaldo,Messi and Griezmann were deserving.

Its pretty obvious that they are.

Aren't they for all of us?

You've written yourself how Ronaldo scoring over 50 again this year 'really highlights just why he is yet again the greatest'.

Yet Messi scored more goals. Suarez scored 40 in the league alone.

We're working in a zeitgeist of crazy expectations. Simplifying it to 'he scored lots of goals' isn't a definitive argument for player of the year imo.

The goals combined with the team success are what got him the award.If France and Atletico had won in those finals Griezmann would have had a much better chance of winning the award . The award is really for for the 2015-16 season and in that period Ronaldo scored only 3 goals less than Suarez and had more team success.

Anything that involves humans deciding what is the best is flawed.There is no actual criteria for decided the award just peoples opinions.

There was very little in the award this year and you could have made the argument that Suarez,Ronaldo,Messi and Griezmann were deserving.

Yeah, I agree with that.

I personally don't think Ronaldo was the best player in 2016, and I don't like the idea that he won because of Portugal's success. But with margins so small you can't begrudge him winning it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Simplifying it to 'he scored lots of goals' isn't a definitive argument for player of the year imo.

You can only say that if you either forget or ignore just how insane it was once considered for any player to score over 50 goals in a season. What Ronaldo achieved this year would compare with any season by any other Ballon D'or winner ever, yet you are talking about Juanfran or Kante as if they are viable choices and others are saying he doesn't deserve the award.

Its testament to the likes of Ronaldo and what he has achieved that somebody can say with a straight face that 50+goals and winning both major European trophies isn't a definitive argument for player of the year.

You can only say that if you either forget or ignore just how insane it was once considered for any player to score over 50 goals in a season. What Ronaldo achieved this year would compare with any season by any other Ballon D'or winner ever, yet you are talking about Juanfran or Kante as if they are viable choices and others are saying he doesn't deserve the award.

Its testament to the likes of Ronaldo and what he has achieved that somebody can say with a straight face that 50+goals and winning both major European trophies isn't a definitive argument for player of the year.

I'm not saying Juanfran is a viable choice, obviously.

What I'm saying is that multiple players had similar goalscoring prowess in 2016. Which is incredible.

What has set Ronaldo apart is, as you say, that he won two major European trophies. However, if Eder doesn't score while Ronaldo isn't playing, if Juanfran doesn't miss his penalty after Ronaldo had a poor game, if Higuain can put the ball in the net in another continental final etc etc... My personal opinion is that, on many occasions, what set Ronaldo apart this season was down to other player influence, not his own.

I don't think he had his best season in 2016, but he won a lot of competitions. If that's what people decide these awards on (and the players/journalists/managers evidently do) then fair enough, I can't argue with that. It just wouldn't be my choice, and I reckon it's worth having that dissenting opinion put across in a reasonable way rather than the usual 'anti-Ronaldo/Messi' extremism that ruins all these threads.

• elefant wrote: »
    I'm not saying Juanfran is a viable choice, obviously.

What I'm saying is that multiple players had similar goalscoring prowess in 2016. Which is incredible.

What has set Ronaldo apart is, as you say, that he won two major European trophies. However, if Eder doesn't score while Ronaldo isn't playing, if Juanfran doesn't miss his penalty after Ronaldo had a poor game, if Higuain can put the ball in the net in another continental final etc etc... My personal opinion is that, on many occasions, what set Ronaldo apart this season was down to other player influence, not his own.

I don't think he had his best season in 2016, but he won a lot of competitions. If that's what people decide these awards on (and the players/journalists/managers evidently do) then fair enough, I can't argue with that. It just wouldn't be my choice, and I reckon it's worth having that dissenting opinion put across in a reasonable way rather than the usual 'anti-Ronaldo/Messi' extremism that ruins all these threads.

What about the games leading to the finals of the CL & the Euros if that's your argument?
    Ronaldo was forced off injured in the Euro finals people tend to forget. And in-fact I remember him being visibly gutted, he tried his best to stay on the field.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    What about the games leading to the finals of the CL & the Euros if that's your argument?
    Ronaldo was forced off injured in the Euro finals people tend to forget. And in-fact I remember him being visibly gutted, he tried his best to stay on the field.

Well, that's hardly a reason to award him player of the year.

I remember Portugal being extremely average in almost all of their games in the euros. Scraped through in a very poor group, and struggled to score at all for the whole tournament.
    Can't argue with his Champions League performances.

• elefant wrote: »
    Well, that's hardly a reason to award him player of the year.

I remember Portugal being extremely average in almost all of their games in the euros. Scraped through in a very poor group, and struggled to score at all for the whole tournament.
    Can't argue with his Champions League performances.

Wasn't using that as a reason to win it. Was using it as an explanation to why he couldn't feature in the final bar about 20 mins before his injury

Ronaldo scored 3 and provided 3 assists in the Euros to note, practically involved in all Portugals goals as there wasn't many

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Fully deserved.

There was many comments and interpretations of his behaviour in the Euro final after he went off injured, but I just saw an incredibly passionate Portuguese man cheering and inspiring on his team mates. And going by their reaction immediately after and in the dressing room, he is an incredible leader and inspiration to that team.

I never rate the award very highly myself but obviously certain sections and players do. But I don't think I've disagreed with the winners in the last while.

It very much acts as a popularity contest as well, its clearly not purely about football. Suarez was likely the best player in the world, but I'd imagine his various antics ensure there is an agenda against him. Messi let his golden boy mask slip a bit this year with Argentina and Barca which clearly didn't go down well in all quarters.

The lack of understanding of that situation is hurting my head. I remember Second Captains did a brilliant podcast on that topic before, and used an Argentine journalist to explain the divide between players and the Argentina FA and also the players and the Argentine media. Should give it a listen.

Messi sympathisers loved to paint that incident as Messi being patriotic and using his position to scare the Argentinian FA into action for slack organisation and addressing issues the players have.

Plenty of other Argentinian journalists or fans point out how it's a nice cover for him just not being arsed with Argentina. I have some sympathy for him, seems he simply can't please everyone there, with Diego still frequently chanted during games, and many quarters feeling Messi just doesn't bother with Argentina which isn't exactly fair.

That has been an excellently resourced squad talent wise for years that has chronically underachieved. But I think it's a bit rich painting him as a hero in that situation. I remember that pod, and that same point was also mentioned.

It was between Ronaldo and Suarez for me.

Ronaldo always going get it for Portugal alone though.

Think it will be his last one though

Oh Kew, how many years are people predicting the end for Ronaldo, only for him to barnstorm back :D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Have to go back to 2007 (Kaka) to find a Ballon d'Or that wasn't given to one of Messi or Ronaldo, pretty incredible.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Have to go back to 2007 (Kaka) to find a Ballon d'Or that wasn't given to one of Messi or Ronaldo, pretty incredible.

And going by how the award is seemingly given out these days, Kaka didn't deserve that award. It should have been given to the striker with the most goals and "stats" that year. Funny how people still claim Ronaldo is the best in the world when they only consider him great due to his goal scoring, and he's been second to Messi in goalscoring in 2016. I do get an undercurrent though, that people finally see how average Ronaldo has been in the last year or two and how little he really contributed to Real and Portugals success, despite his "stats". For all his goals, they would have won both regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭marbless

Ronaldo's margin of victory was massive - he got 745 points, way ahead of Messi's 316 and Griezmann's 198. This year, with the Ballon d'Or being awarded by a vote of international football journalists only, there can be no accusations of cronyism involving international captains and managers.

Suarez got 91 points to finish a distant 4th. Maybe the fact he missed the Copa America through injury counted against him? Also, he wasn't able to turn the tide for Barcelona in the second leg of the CL tie against Atletico, when Griezmann scored twice.

I agree with people who say Ronaldo has had better years than 2016. But his hat-trick against Wolfsburg last Spring brought Madrid back from the dead in the CL knockout stages, and the two goals he scored against Hungary in the 3-3 draw kept Portugal alive at the Euros, not forgetting his opening goal against Wales in the s-f.

There seems to be consensus among the people who vote on these awards that Ronaldo, Messi and Griezmann were the top 3 players of 2016, because the same guys have been short-listed for the FIFA award that will be made in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

And going by how the award is seemingly given out these days, Kaka didn't deserve that award. It should have been given to the striker with the most goals and "stats" that year. Funny how people still claim Ronaldo is the best in the world when they only consider him great due to his goal scoring, and he's been second to Messi in goalscoring in 2016. I do get an undercurrent though, that people finally see how average Ronaldo has been in the last year or two and how little he really contributed to Real and Portugals success, despite his "stats". For all his goals, they would have won both regardless

Portugal wouldn't have even qualified were it not for Ronaldo's goals.

Portugal wouldn't have even qualified were it not for Ronaldo's goals.

Qualified for the tournament? I think they might have. They would have qualified first with 15 points. And that's before you hypothetically add in a replacement striker to whom every single attack is directed at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

There have been some bad ones but this is probably the most ridiculous of your butthurt Ronaldo posts. Especially the last sentence.

Liam O wrote: »
    There have been some bad ones but this is probably the most ridiculous of your butthurt Ronaldo posts. Especially the last sentence.

Both teams are built to direct every single attack towards Ronaldo. Yet he has little to no influence in how the team actually plays or the chances they create. He's an outlet, one who contributes little else to the game, unlike most other previous recipients of the award. Nothing wrong with being just a benefactor of how a team set up, but lets not pretend he's anything else. In both finals both teams won the game without him, showing how little he actually contributes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Both teams are built to direct every single attack towards Ronaldo. Yet he has little to no influence in how the team actually plays or the chances they create.

This shows such little understanding of the game that it's mind numbing.

1. They don't direct 'every single' attack towards him.
    2. You don't think the majority of Barca's attacks veer towards Messi. You try and get the ball to your best chance of scoring. That's just basic common sense.
    3. Ronaldo gets to score goals or be 'the outlet' because he is second to none when it comes to anticipating where he needs to be to score, and also second to none when it comes to being determined to score again and again and again. Being in the right place is a skill in itself that is massively under-appreciated.
    4.You will never see a more motivated man to be the very best. It's such know how driven he is.

I think Messi is a better player, but you can't but marvel at what Ronaldo has become. It's astonishing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Both teams are built to direct every single attack towards Ronaldo. Yet he has little to no influence in how the team actually plays or the chances they create. He's an outlet, one who contributes little else to the game, unlike most other previous recipients of the award. Nothing wrong with being just a benefactor of how a team set up, but lets not pretend he's anything else. In both finals both teams won the game without him, showing how little he actually contributes

You're inventing a player to come in and just do the same what Ronaldo does for your point to have any credence whatsoever, so let's not 'pretend' that it actually has any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

**** me registering 50 goals and 18 assists is now average. I've heard it all. How many of those millers have you had?

Football tribalism can get pretty ridiculous. However Messi and Ronaldo fanboys have to be the worst.

Both are incredible players. Lucky to have them both around in this era tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Arghus wrote: »
    Laughable how much denigration of Ronaldo's ability/achievements/career (delete as applicable) takes place whenever he's discussed. There wasn't much in it between himself and Messi last season, it could have easily gone the other way, but, I suppose major international trophies do count - no matter if we're often told the contrary. Fair play to him.

I used to despise him when he played for United, but then, eventually, I realised that my preciously held bitterness was holding me back from accepting reality: he's one of the greatest to ever play the game. The amount of one eyed hate he receives means my respect for him isn't even borne with a grudge these days.

That's pretty much where I am. His greatness becomes ever clearer to me with each passing year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rezident

Sad truth is Ronaldo is a diver - and diving is cheating. Luckily for him, he is rich and successful and famous so he can do what he wants. I watched his careful, considered dive for the penalty against Atletico a few weeks ago and the way he ran away from the ball and the goal just so he could dive over a player who was already on the floor and wrongly claim a penalty - sums up Ronaldo for me. Nearly 20% of his goals one season were penalites so it's well worth his while stat-padding with dives.

Luckily for him, he lives in a world where cheating is fine, once you're rich or successful etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rezident

Messi in 2016:
    Most GOALS
    Most ASSISTS
    Most DRIBBLES
    Most HATTRICKS
    Most FREEKICK
    Most CHANCES CREATED

Most people know Messi is a better footballer, in virtually all areas, but the Ballon d'Or is decided by journalists for a season so winning the European Championships is very important to them, even is Ronaldo was poor for most of the tournament, the history books will remember him winning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Well made point, I'd agree with all of that. I like you, we should be friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

The context tonit IMO is that this is the final year when Messi's failure at international level has been copperfastened.

And regardless of his influence on the final, Ronaldo just won an international trophy.

That's enough to separate people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Should've been Kante.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Rezident wrote: »
    Sad truth is Ronaldo is a diver - and diving is cheating. Luckily for him, he is rich and successful and famous so he can do what he wants. I watched his careful, considered dive for the penalty against Atletico a few weeks ago and the way he ran away from the ball and the goal just so he could dive over a player who was already on the floor and wrongly claim a penalty - sums up Ronaldo for me. Nearly 20% of his goals one season were penalites so it's well worth his while stat-padding with dives.

Luckily for him, he lives in a world where cheating is fine, once you're rich or successful etc.

Might wanna check out Messi's diving over the years and tax avoidance if you're gonna start taking money into account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Suarez deserved it imo.

He was phenomenal.

Between Messi/Ronaldo? Always going to be Ronaldo this year, similar stats and winning 2 of the biggest trophies in the world.

Might wanna check out Messi's diving over the years and tax avoidance if you're gonna start taking money into account.

Probably not the best time to use Ronaldo's tax record as something to laud him about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Probably not the best time to use Ronaldo's tax record as something to laud him about.

He didn't.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

SlickRic wrote: »
    This shows such little understanding of the game that it's mind numbing.

1. They don't direct 'every single' attack towards him.
    2. You don't think the majority of Barca's attacks veer towards Messi. You try and get the ball to your best chance of scoring. That's just basic common sense.
    3. Ronaldo gets to score goals or be 'the outlet' because he is second to none when it comes to anticipating where he needs to be to score, and also second to none when it comes to being determined to score again and again and again. Being in the right place is a skill in itself that is massively under-appreciated.
    4.You will never see a more motivated man to be the very best. It's such know how driven he is.

I think Messi is a better player, but you can't but marvel at what Ronaldo has become. It's astonishing.

1. Yes they do. If not, how do they play and what else does he contribute?

2. No, Messi is a roaming midfield playmaker who plays in a deeper role. Yet the fact he still scores more goals than Ronaldo despite having less chances and shots per game is telling.

3. Actually, considering his very comfortable set up in Madrid, he should probably be scoring more for the amount of chances he actually receives per game. Yes he does like scoring again and again against the likes of Osasuna et all, doesn't seem to score again and again against good defenses all that much though. Funny, isn't it?

4. Going to the gym to preen his body means he's extra motivated to be the best at football? Up there with the fallacy of him being a "great athlete", as if looking like a good athlete has some bearing on how good a footballer he is. Ironically, him molding himself to become this great athlete who is super motivated and fit, correlates with him becoming just a goal poacher who hardly moves a leg over the last few years. Maybe he should stay away from the narcissistic gym work and work on the technical side of his game like playmaking if he is so good and motivated?

What do I have to marvel at when it comes to Ronaldo exactly? Hasn't there been better goalscorers in the past who are just recognised as great scorers? What is Ronaldo doing that Gerd Muller never done to earn him 4 Ballon D'ors while Muller only won one? In hindsight, surely Muller deserved 5 or 6 wouldn't you agree, seeing as today's criteria for greatness is seemingly nothing other than how many goals you score and "stats"

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »
    You're inventing a player to come in and just do the same what Ronaldo does for your point to have any credence whatsoever, so let's not 'pretend' that it actually has any.

So for example, you don't think Ronaldo (Brazilian) would have similar returns had he played in this era of La Liga. Funny how all of a sudden Suarez is knocking in ridiculous goal returns too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

1. Yes they do. If not, how do they play and what else does he contribute?

2. No, Messi is a roaming midfield playmaker who plays in a deeper role. Yet the fact he still scores more goals than Ronaldo despite having less chances and shots per game is telling.

3. Actually, considering his very comfortable set up in Madrid, he should probably be scoring more for the amount of chances he actually receives per game. Yes he does like scoring again and again against the likes of Osasuna et all, doesn't seem to score again and again against good defenses all that much though. Funny, isn't it?

4. Going to the gym to preen his body means he's extra motivated to be the best at football? Up there with the fallacy of him being a "great athlete", as if looking like a good athlete has some bearing on how good a footballer he is. Ironically, him molding himself to become this great athlete who is super motivated and fit, correlates with him becoming just a goal poacher who hardly moves a leg over the last few years. Maybe he should stay away from the narcissistic gym work and work on the technical side of his game like playmaking if he is so good and motivated?

What do I have to marvel at when it comes to Ronaldo exactly? Hasn't there been better goalscorers in the past who are just recognised as great scorers? What is Ronaldo doing that Gerd Muller never done to earn him 4 Ballon D'ors while Muller only won one? Surely Muller deserved 5 or 6 wouldn't you agree?
    :confused:
    What the hell are you talking about here.
    Physical conditioning is key in football.

MD1990 wrote: »

The fairly popular theory that since he's arrived in Madrid and put on more and more muscle mass that he's become far less agile which has resulted in him changing his playing style more abd more each season to the point where now nobody even tries to pretend he's anything but a goalscorer.

MD1990 wrote: »

We keep hearing people say Ronaldo is "super motivated" and a "great athlete", but what does it actually have to do with his on-field paltry contributions to open play in most matches? When people use them in the context of Ronaldo they just seem like throwaway buzzwords to deflect from how poor his general performances actually are. All top players are physically conditioned, but Ronaldo isn't some freakish super player because he tends to spend more time in the gym working on his 6 pack. He's become slower and less of an all round player, and by jaysus, he was a poor all round player before that

Well made point, I'd agree with all of that. I like you, we should be friends.

Andersonisgod sent the Golden Miller a friend request. The Golden Miller accepts Andersonisgods friend request. The Golden Miller is now friends with Andersonisgod......hey I thought we were already friends?

Andersonisgod sent the Golden Miller a friend request. The Golden Miller accepts Andersonisgods friend request. The Golden Miller is now friends with Andersonisgod......hey I thought we were already friends?

I can safely say that you are, without doubt, my favourite poster on Boards. Your point a little further up on this page about Ronaldo's comparison with Gerd Muller is absolutely spot on and very well put.

We will always be friends. Alone we are just Andersonisgod and The Golden Miller, but when we combine we become The Golden Anderson!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I can safely say that you are, without doubt, my favourite poster on Boards. Your point a little further up on this page about Ronaldo's comparison with Gerd Muller is absolutely spot on and very well put.

We will always be friends. Alone we are just Andersonisgod and The Golden Miller, but when we combine we become The Golden Anderson!!

My brain can't read this as anything but The GoldenArse.

Arghus wrote: »
    My brain can't read this as anything but The GoldenArse.

You're just jealous because you aren't part of our super group :cool:

That is high praise from the wisest poster on Boards. I was beginning to think I was alone in my quest to teach the less informed members of the forum how football actually works, but seeing your posts always gives me hope that one day our persistence to enlighten the misguided will prevail. A long way still to go, but many hands make light work

• Advertisement

That is high praise from the wisest poster on Boards. I was beginning to think I was alone in my quest to teach the less informed members of the forum how football actually works, but seeing your posts always gives me hope that one day our persistence to enlighten the misguided will prevail. A long way still to go, but many hands make light work

Well put my friend, and now I will retreat to my study, where I will read some books.

Advertisement