Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A 4th Ballon D'Or for Cristiano Ronaldo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

SlickRic wrote: »
    Muller is heralded as one of the best ever.

He's not heralded as THE best as he was always just a goalscorer. That's not the case with Ronaldo. He is mainly that now, but as I said earlier (but you're ignoring out of ignorance I assume) he's only been that since maybe 2013.

None of this matters though because your dogma won't allow you see past your pathetically narrow definition of great.

So where are these world class performances in general play if that's not the case? Logically there should be some if he had other word class attributes that influenced how his team played, not just getting them goals? Still struggling to find one? Muller was quite good at dribbling too, had an eye for a through ball etc, but as you say was just a goalscorer, just like Ronaldo. Want to point out exactly what separates the two of them? Where's the dogma? Like Muller, Ronaldo is great at what he does, score goals. Doesn't sound like dogma to me, sounds like I just call it as it is. It seems your dogma makes you feel the needs to persistently put Ronaldo on a pedestal above any of the other great goal scorers,with your sole reasoning being "just because"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Nalz wrote: »
    What bollox. "Lethargic in general play". Maybe nowadays but fûck me that remark smells of bias jealous wañk.

You really need to know who you are responding to here.

You really need to know who you are responding to here.

So you don't agree with Nalz that Ronaldo is lethargic in general play these days?

So you don't agree with Nalz that Ronaldo is lethargic in general play these days?

Point out a 90 minute lethargic performance that Ronaldo put in against a mens team at any point in these days?

Point out a 90 minute lethargic performance that Ronaldo put in against a mens team at any point in these days?

Lethargic in general play I think you mean. Em, every game this season for starters. Isn't that what Nalz agreed with me on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Well point to a 90 minute world class performance that Ronaldo put in against a top team at any point in his career?

Ironically it was a game he missed a penalty in

Vs Barcelona 2008

There's loads more

But your point is a joke. So hahaha I laugh and now I bye bye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Again...why is 'general play' over 90 minutes the criteria? You don't fúcking decide the criteria for a great player.

You're not the fúcking God of football. You don't decide what makes a player great. Consensus does. And consensus seems amongst the vast majority of the football world that Ronaldo is fúcking brilliant.

So toddle on with your self-righteous twaddle.

Nalz wrote: »
    Ironically it was a game he missed a penalty in

Vs Barcelona 2008

There's loads more

But your point is a joke. So hahaha I laugh and now I bye bye

Is that a joke. Isn't that the same game that prompted the RTE analysts to call him a fraud or something along those lines seeing as he was so anonymous, while Messi picked up MOTM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

No one seems to think he was worth 4 world player of the year awards, as you yourself allude to in the part in bold. This is the point, Muller was over shone by other great players, despite having more goals and better stats. Yet Ronaldo is considered arguably the best of his generation/ever simply because he has the most goals and stats in his era etc. Can you really not see the contradiction here?

'Simply because'?

You're the one who just think it's simply because, no one else.

You're Ronaldo hatred/dislike was pretty bad before, not it's beyond hilarious the lengths you go to downplay him. I'm almost disappointed in Andersonisgod for playing along with you because, despite my personal difference of opinion with him on quite a few things, he's still a hugely better poster than you.

I can point out a few good 90 minutes posting performances from him if you want :pac:

• Advertisement

Again...why is 'general play' over 90 minutes the criteria? You don't fúcking decide the criteria for a great player..

I don't. But if he offers nothing but just goals, then he's just a world class goal scorer surely? Like Muller? You made the distinction that he offered something more than Muller. Care to explain what it was or point to a few performances backing it up?

Corholio wrote: »
    'Simply because'?

You're the one who just think it's simply because, no one else.

You're Ronaldo hatred/dislike was pretty bad before, not it's beyond hilarious the lengths you go to downplay him. I'm almost disappointed in Andersonisgod for playing along with you because, despite my personal difference of opinion with him on quite a few things, he's still a hugely better poster than you.

I can point out a few good 90 minutes posting performances from him if you want :pac:

So you ignore the content of the post in an attempt to ridicule the poster? Nice. I said world class performances against a top team. You know, the type all past recipients of the award tended to turn in now and again when it mattered, regardless of whether they scored. Feel free to post them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

So you ignore the content of the post in an attempt to ridicule the poster? Nice. I said world class performances against a top team. You know, the type all past recipients of the award tended to turn in now and again when it mattered, regardless of whether they scored. Feel free to post them

Didn't ignore at all, are you just going to keep saying ' I want these top class performances' to every poster who disagrees with you?

v Roma 15/16
    v Dortmund 15/16
    v Sevilla 14/15
    v Wolfsburg 15/16
    v Atletico 11/12

He scored in some of these games too, I imagine by your logic that means if he scored he's just a goalscorer and didn't do anything else. All top quality performances from Ronaldo.

I don't. But if he offers nothing but just goals, then he's just a world class goal scorer surely? Like Muller? You made the distinction that he offered something more than Muller. Care to explain what it was or point to a few performances backing it up?

You won't accept them. Just like you haven't accepted those put to you already. So it's pointless.

Also, you're not accepting that before 2014 he did a lot more than goalscoring on a frequent basis. So this whole discussion is futile.

Lethargic in general play I think you mean. Em, every game this season for starters. Isn't that what Nalz agreed with me on?

So you can't even point one lethargic 90 minute performance against a soccer team? Not even one?

You won't accept them. Just like you haven't accepted those put to you already. So it's pointless.

Also, you're not accepting that before 2014 he did a lot more than goalscoring on a frequent basis. So this whole discussion is futile.

I'd accept them if they were genuine. You won't post them because his in play performance, while not bad in some of them I assume, is going to be a far cry from a truly dominant world class display, just like the examples Corhilio gave. Some alright general play performances in the examples given by the poor standards Ronaldo has set (not all of them mind you), but hardly breathtaking dominant displays that we've seen from Ronaldo, Del Piero, Ronaldinho, Kaka, Nedved etc in the past. They are just about passable as good performances. You won't find one match report raving about how good his performances actually were or how he stood above everyone else on the field, so it's scrapping the barrel stuff in reality. If he was truly world class (barring his great goal scoring), me "accepting" some world class performances wouldn't be an issue. I wouldn't even be posting here tbh

• Advertisement

I wouldn't even be posting here tbh

That would indeed be a tragedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Lol. If he creates his own goals rather than a poacher, and assists or creates more chances.... Does that still make him a world class goalscorer only?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Fair play to SlickRic here.

Calling a spade a spade.

I'm reserving my judgement on Ronaldo till he does something no other footballer can possible do crop coming out of some

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Ronaldo scored his 500th club goal today.

That's another black mark against him no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

The obsession with goals on this thread is funny because Messi scored more goals this year with an average position of about 20-30 yards deeper than Ronaldo.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Some bang of shíte off this thread now! Fook me, Ronaldo isn't one of the greats, Jesus wept *facepalms*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

I wouldnt begrudge ronaldo or messi any award as they are great players. However I do have an issue with the numbers they put up. We all know they are phenomenonly high but you have to look at the oppostion. I myself as an avid la liga watcher it week in week out. There are teams there like granada, osasuna, betis(my team), las palmas, sporting gijon, alves, leganes, valencia, espanyol, deportivo and malaga that are absolute cannon fodder. I know people say that the premier league is terrible football and bla bla bla but at least teams dont **** the pants and wilt like the teams in la liga do when they see a barca or madrid shirt. I also play soccer here and Spanish players just hate putting the foot in and defences are terrible, i think this is also a factor. Anyways fair play to ronnie and i know he did it in the prem before but he was a lot younger and his stats even though they were high werent as mad as his la liga ones so that has got to put one thinking. Anyways ill probably get cut to pieces for this post but its just an opinion.

I wouldnt begrudge ronaldo or messi any award as they are great players. However I do have an issue with the numbers they put up. We all know they are phenomenonly high but you have to look at the oppostion. I myself as an avid la liga watcher it week in week out. There are teams there like granada, osasuna, betis(my team), las palmas, sporting gijon, alves, leganes, valencia, espanyol, deportivo and malaga that are absolute cannon fodder. I know people say that the premier league is terrible football and bla bla bla but at least teams dont **** the pants and wilt like the teams in la liga do when they see a barca or madrid shirt. I also play soccer here and Spanish players just hate putting the foot in and defences are terrible, i think this is also a factor. Anyways fair play to ronnie and i know he did it in the prem before but he was a lot younger and his stats even though they were high werent as mad as his la liga ones so that has got to put one thinking. Anyways ill probably get cut to pieces for this post but its just an opinion.

Couldn't you argue that if a team keeps the ball for longer it aids in the whole process of "concede as few goals as possible."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Couldn't you argue that if a team keeps the ball for longer it aids in the whole process of "concede as few goals as possible."

But anderson have you seen teams that play against Madrid and barca when they concede a goal. Betis there a few months back,after the first goal just threw the towel in, like a rabbit caught in headlights.

But anderson have you seen teams that play against Madrid and barca when they concede a goal. Betis there a few months back,after the first goal just threw the towel in, like a rabbit caught in headlights.

No doubt there are examples of teams just packing it in after going behind against Barcelona and Real Madrid but you could probably find examples of England each season too. You could also find examples of tough hard fought 1-0 wins in both countries. It's important to remember that the difference between the 2 leagues is that in one league there are 2 of the 3 best teams in the world (By a bit of a distance too) while England has top teams, they are not at the same level as Spain's best so it's only natural that the best teams will score more goals.

If They didn't put up similar numbers in the champions league you might have a point but they do and the numbers they put up have only been replicated by one player in one season , Luis Suarez who scored a **** load of goals in the premier league as well. Ronaldo scored 30 league goals in the EPL as well and he wasn't as good then as he has been since he went to Madrid.The defending in the premier league is not really a standard to be aiming for.

Again as I've said numerous times on various threads the better your team is the more easy your matches appear and the worse your opposition looks, that's the case with Madrid and Barca and the rest of the teams in Spain, both Messi and Ronaldo easily get 30 league goals and more on a regular basis in any major league in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

If They didn't put up similar numbers in the champions league you might have a point but they do and the numbers they put up have only been replicated by one player in one season , Luis Suarez who scored a **** load of goals in the premier league as well. Ronaldo scored 30 league goals in the EPL as well and he wasn't as good then as he has been since he went to Madrid.The defending in the premier league is not really a standard to be aiming for.

Again as I've said numerous times on various threads the better your team is the more easy your matches appear and the worse your opposition looks, that's the case with Madrid and Barca and the rest of the teams in Spain, both Messi and Ronaldo easily get 30 league goals and more on a regular basis in any major league in Europe.
    Spot on
    Messi has 16 goals in 25 games against English teams in the cl. That's against the best that the PL has to offer. Both messi and ronaldo and in turn barca and real would steamroll most of the teams in the pl. Its not that la liga is poor its that real and barca are so good.

Interesting Ronaldo fact, the clubs he has scored most goals against are Sevilla, Getafe, and...Barcelona.

He has scored more goals against Barca than he has against the likes of Malaga or Granada, what a flat track bully he must be...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Ah lads.

20120817-191624.jpg?w=630

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Irish94

The obsession with goals on this thread is funny because Messi scored more goals this year with an average position of about 20-30 yards deeper than Ronaldo.....

Can you prove this please? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Irish94 wrote: »

Jesus. . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

Irish94 wrote: »

Watch the games.

I don't think Ronaldo is the best player in the world. However he is a phenomenal goalscorer. His contribution outside of goalscoring is lacking compared to the all time greats of football. Players like Pele, Maradona, Charlton, Messi and Cryuff brought a lot more to the game than just goalscoring. Players like these actually "ran" the game aswell as scored goals. Ronaldo is not in the same bracket as these all time greats. Griezman would have been my vote this year.

I don't think Ronaldo is the best player in the world. However he is a phenomenal goalscorer. His contribution outside of goalscoring is lacking compared to the all time greats of football. Players like Pele, Maradona, Charlton, Messi and Cryuff brought a lot more to the game than just goalscoring. Players like these actually "ran" the game aswell as scored goals. Ronaldo is not in the same bracket as these all time greats. Griezman would have been my vote this year.

Ronaldo is an all time great. He's not always just been a phenomenal goalscorer. People need memories that go further back than 18 months ago.

Ronaldo is an all time great. He's not always just been a phenomenal goalscorer. People need memories that go further back than 18 months ago.

I've watched him his whole career. I've seen several better footballers. Like the ones I mentioned in my previous post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

The best. Simply the best and such dedication to his national team. A real hero.

Messi assists at club level - 185
    Ronaldo assists at club level - 166

For a little perspective, Madrid legend Raul, a man who "ran" many games had 85 assists in his entire career, Zidane had 94, Del Piero 75, Scholes had 48, and Ronaldinho had a mighty 126. All figures from the linked website, all appear legitimate.

Yet one of those is nothing but a goalscorer...

For a little perspective, Madrid legend Raul, a man who "ran" many games had 85 assists in his entire career, Zidane had 94, Del Piero 75, Scholes had 48, and Ronaldinho had a mighty 126. All figures from the linked website, all appear legitimate.

Raul didn't "run" games, he was an out and out striker. Zidane definitely did.

• Advertisement

So Ronaldo is a better playmaker then Ronaldoinho by the same logic? I'd say Ronaldinho is kicking himself...."why did I try and be influential and run matches, I should of spent my whole career standing around the box giving 2 yard assists to be a true great". And for the record, by the nature of where they are positioned, strikers tend to get more assists than playmakers and midfielders in general. Attacks end up at their feet, laying them off isn't creative nous. Disingenuous point in the extreme....but but but "stats"

eagle eye wrote: »

And this proves what? He excels at 2 yard passes? I suppose looking at the "stats" with no context, it makes him out to be a creative genius, the second coming of Pirlo? I reckon Gerd Muller never got 2 yard assists, you know, the guy who was just a goal scorer?

He scored 30+ once. Then back down to earth with 18 goals the following year. Not only did Suarez match that, he was the fulcrum everything went through at Liverpool. Where are all Ronaldos hatricks against top teams in the Champions League? Seems to me he bangs them in at will against the Malmos of this world, tends to disappear when the chips are down. Well until his team mates set a few up on a plate for him or grabs a peno, maybe the odd deflected free? He's a great goal scorer, I'ver never denied that. But seeing as his only criteria for greatness is goals, I assume you concede Gerd Muller is better than Cruyff and Maradona as his goals and stats are better?

You've made the "more than just a goal scorer" claim several times. Name the game he put in a truly world class performance in open play and was lauded by the critics and general populous? Just one? Well seeing as he was once more than just a goal scorer? Can't wait to hear about all these other world class facets to his game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

His 4th, and last.

Watching him recently, he really is a man on the way down. Still a great player by the standards of world football, but a shadow of his former self. Unless he changes to a box player like Van Nistelrooy, which he may well do.

For me, the couple of examples of the Borussia Dortmund game, when he had a start on defenders in sprints to the ball and he was left in their dust, shows his legs have gone. I would say he has only a couple of years max at the very top level, if even that.

He says he wants to play until he's 40, well he'll not be doing it at any decent level, thats for sure.

He scored 30+ once. Then back down to earth with 18 goals the following year. Not only did Suarez match that, he was the fulcrum everything went through at Liverpool. Where are all Ronaldos hatricks against top teams in the Champions League? Seems to me he bangs them in at will against the Malmos of this world, tends to disappear when the chips are down. Well until his team mates set a few up on a plate for him or grabs a peno, maybe the odd deflected free? He's a great goal scorer, I'ver never denied that. But seeing as his only criteria for greatness is goals, I assume you concede Gerd Muller is better than Cruyff and Maradona as his goals and stats are better?

Gerd Muller is an all time great one of the greatest to ever play the game yet for some reason being compared to him is being used as a way to insult somebody.Your line of argument is really bizarre

Ronaldo may not the all round player he once was but he was a great all round player whether you want to admit it or not.He used to terrorize defenders with his dribbling and pace.

He really disappeared this year when the chips were down against Wolfsburg in the Champions League quarter finals and he scored a hat trick to bring them back from a 2 goal deficit.Although maybe he should have only scored one goal and spent the rest of the game passing the ball sideways.

Anyway I don't think I'll bother responding anymore.You're taking complete ****e as usual and as George Carlin said "Never argue with an idiot as they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience".

Goodbye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

NIMAN wrote: »
    His 4th, and last.

Watching him recently, he really is a man on the way down. Still a great player by the standards of world football, but a shadow of his former self. Unless he changes to a box player like Van Nistelrooy, which he may well do.

For me, the couple of examples of the Borussia Dortmund game, when he had a start on defenders in sprints to the ball and he was left in their dust, shows his legs have gone. I would say he has only a couple of years max at the very top level, if even that.

He says he wants to play until he's 40, well he'll not be doing it at any decent level, thats for sure.

He turns 32 in February and already has 850 senior matches as miles on the clock. It's not particularly illuminating to suggest he is coming past the backend of his peak. However, I would disagree with your contention that he will be unable to operate at a high level. I think we're seeing glimpses of what the future holds - a half decade as an out and out striker and goal poacher comfortably managing 1 in 2 or better for a contending team, and still making the pressure set pieces.

People seem to want to hold his evolution and adaptation as a footballer and athlete against him, which is bizarre to me. What i see when I watch Ronaldo is a phenomenally shrewd and intelligent player, who is increasingly relying on instinct and a huge desire to get into dangerous positions to hurt opponents. His contribution for Real and Portugal is massive, and he is the best player in the sense of being the most valuable player for the two teams that won the biggest trophies on offer in 2016. That he is achieving this despite an element of physical decline is the magic.

Football is a wonderfully nuanced game that rewards many different approaches and styles. Ronaldo rarely slaloms past multiple players anymore. He is increasingly becoming a poacher, a man of deft touch and excellent positions who is cold blooded when the chance presents itself. I believe that the latter part of his career will ensconce his legacy, because I think we're going to see him be able to transition into being a role player rather than the totemic figure, and be the one providing the leadership and drive in the dressing room. I don't see Messi making that transition as easily, nor do I see him playing as long.

In many respects, the end of a player's career is far more interesting than the start. Players who last late into their thirties adapting for declining athleticism are the true masters of the game. I have a feeling Ronaldo will stack up in this regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    He turns 32 in February and already has 850 senior matches as miles on the clock. It's not particularly illuminating to suggest he is coming past the backend of his peak. However, I would disagree with your contention that he will be unable to operate at a high level. I think we're seeing glimpses of what the future holds - a half decade as an out and out striker and goal poacher comfortably managing 1 in 2 or better for a contending team, and still making the pressure set pieces.

People seem to want to hold his evolution and adaptation as a footballer and athlete against him, which is bizarre to me. What i see when I watch Ronaldo is a phenomenally shrewd and intelligent player, who is increasingly relying on instinct and a huge desire to get into dangerous positions to hurt opponents. His contribution for Real and Portugal is massive, and he is the best player in the sense of being the most valuable player for the two teams that won the biggest trophies on offer in 2016. That he is achieving this despite an element of physical decline is the magic.

Football is a wonderfully nuanced game that rewards many different approaches and styles. Ronaldo rarely slaloms past multiple players anymore. He is increasingly becoming a poacher, a man of deft touch and excellent positions who is cold blooded when the chance presents itself. I believe that the latter part of his career will ensconce his legacy, because I think we're going to see him be able to transition into being a role player rather than the totemic figure, and be the one providing the leadership and drive in the dressing room. I don't see Messi making that transition as easily, nor do I see him playing as long.

In many respects, the end of a player's career is far more interesting than the start. Players who last late into their thirties adapting for declining athleticism are the true masters of the game. I have a feeling Ronaldo will stack up in this regard.

In a thread full of outlandish and sometimed ridiculous claims, the "Ronaldo will adapt his game better than Messi" is easily the most hilarious. Someone clearly hasn't watched either of these players or heard the reactions for each player from their own fanbase in quite a few years it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You may well be right, but the bit I have highlighted is going to need a major chance in his attitude towards his team and fellow players.

At present, and probably with good reason, he thinks the team revolves around him. I think he puts pressure on some players and has to be the big cheese, but he will have to relax his style a bit if he is to become a real team player in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

In a thread full of outlandish and sometimed ridiculous claims, the "Ronaldo will adapt his game better than Messi" is easily the most hilarious. Someone clearly hasn't watched either of these players or heard the reactions for each player from their own fanbase in quite a few years it seems.

Who mentioned Messi in that post?

Will have a few more years before we see how much Messi has to adapt to suit the aging body. I don't think it'll be as significant a change that Ronaldo needs to make to stay at the top level though. Not that that is a slight against him, still prefer Messi.

• Advertisement
Advertisement