Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with new PC build.

Options
  • 12-12-2016 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭

Asrock 970 Extreme3 R2.0 board.

It's working fine now, but there are a couple of glitches I need help with.

1: RAM. I put 2x8GB RAM (DDR3 1866) in it, and it wouldn't start properly. On the rare occasion that I could get into the BIOS, it would freeze after a few seconds, or when I tried to change a setting.

After removing one of the sticks of RAM, it started up without any problems. Both were new, and came as a set. In fact, every component was new.

According to the specs, the board can take up to 64GB.

2: The number lock LED on the PS/2 keyboard stays on when the pc is turned off. With the new USB keyboard, it's off, but there's an annoying LED logo that stays on.

From the 4 front panel pins (PLED, HDD LED, Reset, and power), I've unplugged everything apart from the power button (yes, they're in the right place, and I know where to put the positive and negative ones).

There's also 1xUSB 3.0, 1xUSB 2.0, and 1x audio/mic cables on the front panel. I've tried booting it with them all unplugged, plugged in, and then one at a time, and so on. Made no difference.

Anyway, my main concern is the RAM problem.
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

RE ram

Ram not seated right -> try again
    or
    Ram not in right slot --> see page 19 of manual
    n other words, you have to install
    identical
    DDR3
    DIMM pair in
    Dual Channel
    (DDR3_A1 and DDR3_B1; Black slots; see p.14 No.7)
    or
    identical
    DDR3 DIMM pair in
    Dual Channel
    (DDR3_A2 and DDR3_B2; Black
    slots; see p.14 No.8), so that Dual Channel Memory Technology can be activate
    http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970%20Extreme3%20R2.0/?cat=Manual
    ftp://europe.asrock.com/Manual/970 Extreme3 R2.0.pdf
    or
    Dimm is slot damaged or dirty --> inspect
    or
    Ram stick contacts are dirty -> clean
    or
    Your ram stick is bad use memtest to verify

Advertisement