Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good quality weight lifting gloves.

• 12-12-2016 11:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

On the market for a new pair, does anyone know what brands are good and which aren't.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I have a pair of Schiek Platinum gloves that I got years ago, they are a bit ragged but still do the job. If you have soft hands like me, then they are great. Padding in the right places, also good wrist support and are very easy to take off with the little fins at the back of the fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

Mr Arrior wrote: »
    On the market for a new pair, does anyone know what brands are good and which aren't.

Thanks

I find the fitness mad ones the best, fit well and wear well after loads of washes. Here is a link to a pair similar to those I have.
    http://www.fitnessireland.ie/fitness-mad-en/fitness-mad-weight-lifting-glove-wrap.html?page=2

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Have you tried lifting without gloves? I have pretty soft hands and it's fine. I find the grip and control much better without them, especially when I use chalk.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Brian? wrote: »
    Have you tried lifting without gloves? I have pretty soft hands and it's fine. I find the grip and control much better without them, especially when I use chalk.

But gloves are so cool?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

+1 for fixing the problem rather than trying to cover it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Why do people wear gloves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

Why do people wear gloves?

For me it's the skin on my hands rolling to my fingers, can't stop it and it's painful.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

bladespin wrote: »
    For me it's the skin on my hands rolling to my fingers, can't stop it and it's painful.

Do you mean like when the bar drags down your hand half skinning the palms of your hand?

Do you mean like when the bar drags down your hand half skinning the palms of your hand?

Yep, particularly on neg curls.

Yep, particularly on neg curls.

There's a very straightforward fix for that. The bars tearing up your hands as it slides down as it naturally is going to. Start by holding the bar much further down your hands at the Base of your fingers, much the same as for deadlifting

https://cdn.stronglifts.com/wp-content/uploads/deadlift-grip.jpg

• Advertisement

There's a very straightforward fix for that.

Thanks, will def try that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

As Arnie Schwarznegger once said, make sure the gloves match the colour of your purse pacman.gif

Do you do any specific grip work?

they/them/theirs

Do you do any specific grip work?

Nothing really, it's only an issue on curls for me, everything else including pullups it's fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

I used to love my gloves, but realised I didn't need them/ looked like a sap. I have straps now for heavier lifts, and calloused hands for normal lifts!

Nothing really, it's only an issue on curls for me, everything else including pullups it's fine.

What are you using for curls? EZ bar/Dumb bells/Barbell?

they/them/theirs

brianblaze wrote: »
    I used to love my gloves, but realised I didn't need them/ looked like a sap. I have straps now for heavier lifts, and calloused hands for normal lifts!

Mod note: Can we leave out the insults? It drives new people away from the forum. Let's keep it constructive.

they/them/theirs

Mod note: Can we leave out the insults? It drives new people away from the forum. Let's keep it constructive.

I don't think insulting myself is going to scare anyone away in my defence.

Please don't discuss moderation on thread, PM me if you have any questions or issues.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The passive aggressive implication is that everyone who wears gloves looks like a sap.

And I'm not a fan of gloves. Grab the bar properly, use chalk, train your grip in needed.

• Advertisement

Ah I wasn't implying that at all! Some people can't get rough hands for their jobs etc. Or just don't like them, which is totally understandable. Wear what you want in the gym people, nobody is looking at you

Brian? wrote:
    What are you using for curls? EZ bar/Dumb bells/Barbell?

Dumbells, don't have the problem with a bar really.

Dumbells, don't have the problem with a bar really.

I'm bamboozled so.

Are you dedicating an entire day to arms? How many curl variations are you doing in a session?

Do you say you were doing negative curls somewhere? I'm not sure these are any use for a start.

they/them/theirs

Advertisement