Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning on getting a bike that I can use to travel long distances and across europe.

• 13-12-2016 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hello everybody,

I am under 24, therefore I am restricted to the A2 license but I would like to purchase a bike that is capable of travelling long distance (200-300km per day). I saw a used Honda cb750 for sale in a dealers and was wondering if it is worth getting this bike restricted to 35kw? Will it much different than getting a 400cc unrestricted?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Met a gang on Vespas going through the UK and there are plenty of people who ride Honda Cubs huge distances. The size of the bike doesn't count its the comfort of the seat and range that get distances.

If you want comfort you need a fairing but I've rode across France on a naked bike along with a friend who had a range of 120km on his. We did nearly 1000km the 1st day.

One of the fastest among us in the Alps was on a semi derestricted 600 Bandit with a full tool kit in his panniers.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Peter8

Sweet, thanks for the reply, what would you think of the honda cb400 SF for comfortability?

An AirHawk and nose fairing will make any bike comfortable for long distance.

https://airhawk.net

Buy what you want and can insure. Just make sure that everything consumable is new before you go. The friend with the full tool kit needed it when his chain started binding on the wrong side of the Italian Alps, it was the only part that wasn't replaced before he left.

Ok, I'll definitely look into getting one of those cushions. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Del2005 wrote: »
    An AirHawk and nose fairing will make any bike comfortable for long distance.

https://airhawk.net

Buy what you want and can insure. Just make sure that everything consumable is new before you go. The friend with the full tool kit needed it when his chain started binding on the wrong side of the Italian Alps, it was the only part that wasn't replaced before he left.

So, the sprockets were replaced but the chain wasn't? :)

Also, which is the 'wrong side' of the Italian Alps - the upside or the downside? :):)

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

I've narrowed my choice down to these four

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/honda-cb-750-f/14131095 Honda CB 750 F (1993)

http://www.adverts.ie/car/motorbikes/honda/1994-honda-400/11235903 Honda 400 (1994)

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/yamaha-virago-535/13509707 (Yamaha virago 535)

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/yamaha-xv-at-jp-motorcycles/13599249 Yamaha dragstar XV 650

What do you guys think would be better for the longer journeys and more fun to ride?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Peter8 wrote: »
    I've narrowed my choice down to these four

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/honda-cb-750-f/14131095 Honda CB 750 F (1993)

http://www.adverts.ie/car/motorbikes/honda/1994-honda-400/11235903 Honda 400 (1994)

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/yamaha-virago-535/13509707 (Yamaha virago 535)

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/yamaha-xv-at-jp-motorcycles/13599249 Yamaha dragstar XV 650

What do you guys think would be better for the longer journeys and more fun to ride?

What criteria did you use to narrow your choice?

Not your ornery onager

Whats on the market and the Virago, Dragstar and CB400 do not require a restrictor kit and can be driven on an A2. I imagine that the Dragstar and Virago are more comfortable for long distances but lack what the CB 400/750 have in maneuverability and speed. I really like the CB 750 by looks, the fact that its from a dealer and that its a bike I can hold onto for the next two years and then get the restrictor kit removed once I am eligible for the A license. I would also like to strap on some saddle luggage to the bike I get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Can't see the cruisers being more comfortable. Given that your main criteria was long distance travel you're looking at the wrong bikes.

But as said above, buy what you like. If you want to tour it it'll tour. I did 2000 kms on a 100 cc heap of ****e once, great trip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Something cheap, cheerful and reliable?.. I'd be looking at a Honda Transalp.

They're reputation for what you want is almost unsurpassed in that class and you'll pick up an older model with hard luggage for small money.

If you're going to travel on a Transalp just make sure the original rectifier has been replaced, but if it hasn't been again this job is small money and you can do it yourself.

• Advertisement

Esel wrote: »
    So, the sprockets were replaced but the chain wasn't? :)

Also, which is the 'wrong side' of the Italian Alps - the upside or the downside? :):)

He though the chain and sprockets where OK and they might have done for back home, but not fully loaded to and over the Alps.

Our hotel was in France;) it was the only time we'd booked 2 days in a hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Guy Sajer

I can't offer anything to help your query but I was curious about your trip. Are you going to ride all the way around Europe or heading to a particular place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Don't underestimate the time and labour saved by getting a shaft drive bike.
    The two cruiser Yamaha's are shafties.
    I'd try a few bikes for fit, not all bikes suit all shapes.
    cruiser/big trailie etc might suit depending on your body shape.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Don't underestimate the time and labour saved by getting a shaft drive bike.
    The two cruiser Yamaha's are shafties.
    I'd try a few bikes for fit, not all bikes suit all shapes.
    cruiser/big trailie etc might suit depending on your body shape.

Scottoiler;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

Transalp would be my choice, bullet proof once you update the reg/rec, airhawk was by far and away the best thing I ever bought, luggage d go soft throw overs rather than hard luggage, they can be taken off easily when your not touring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Del2005 wrote: »

Chain = Mess, auto oilers work well but still messy.

serious3 wrote: »
    Transalp would be my choice, bullet proof once you update the reg/rec, airhawk was by far and away the best thing I ever bought, luggage d go soft throw overs rather than hard luggage, they can be taken off easily when your not touring.

Took AgileMyths advice and put a deposit on a 2006 Honda CB 500 (30000km) second hand from a trusted dealer. Got Oxford side luggage and tank bag with it. Going to get a windshield , hand-guards, heated grips and unfortunately a restrictor installed :(. Was planning on leaving in march but it looks like temperatures will not be good enough so April or May is what I am thinking. Has anyone here toured through europe in these spring months? I plan on definitely going to Rotterdam, northern Spain, Germany and then Finland to finish (I have family there and love the country).

Got an airhawk aswell :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Took AgileMyths advice and put a deposit on a 2006 Honda CB 500 (30000km) second hand from a trusted dealer. Got Oxford side luggage and tank bag with it. Going to get a windshield , hand-guards, heated grips and unfortunately a restrictor installed :(. Was planning on leaving in march but it looks like temperatures will not be good enough so April or May is what I am thinking. Has anyone here toured through europe in these spring months? I plan on definitely going to Rotterdam, northern Spain, Germany and then Finland to finish (I have family there and love the country).

Can't help you with travel in those months, but the old saying goes 'there is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing'.

And that's a grand bike too.. A mate has just arrived in Morocco having done Europe on a CB500x.. Its a new bike, a different set up but the same engine.

Oh, he's planning on spending six months touring Africa on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Fair play, Peter. Sounds like a trip. You going solo?

I've done various places in Europe by motorbike. Don;t worry about the weather! I cycled through France and Spain in March (I think), and it was grand...

As Mak said, good clothes and you'll be fine.

Send us a pic of your luggage setup, would be interested...

I use hard luggage; excellent security. But heavy and requires racks (ugly, IMO) on the bike. TBH, I think I'd go for soft if I was planning on taking the luggage inside every night. Depends on your needs.

rat_race wrote: »
    Fair play, Peter. Sounds like a trip. You going solo?

I've done various places in Europe by motorbike. Don;t worry about the weather! I cycled through France and Spain in March (I think), and it was grand...

As Mak said, good clothes and you'll be fine.

Send us a pic of your luggage setup, would be interested...

I use hard luggage; excellent security. But heavy and requires racks (ugly, IMO) on the bike. TBH, I think I'd go for soft if I was planning on taking the luggage inside every night. Depends on your needs.

Cheers man. Yeah I have a good RST pro series jacket and ordered a solid pair of RST bike jeans (as per reviews online). Also got some decent waterproof boots. I have thermals that should help aswell along with heated handlegrips and winter gloves. Yeah I'm doing it solo, I will upload a picture of the luggage set up when it has all arrived. I have 2 oxford 48 L Pannier bags and an 18L oxford tank bag ordered. Also ordered a few bungees with caribiners to strap on a tent and sleeping bag to the givi rack.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MOTORBIKE-LUGGAGE-PANNIERS-Motorcycle-Capacity/dp/B00NQ80314/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1481861445&sr=1-4&keywords=oxford+motorbike+panniers

I will be travelling light so will bring what little luggage I have inside with me so no need for the hard cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭alfaromeo84

Might not be the sexy choice, but a Deauville should be at least considered.

Shaft drive
    Full faired for weather protection
    panniers
    220 mile tank range regardless how you ride it
    Honda reliability!
    More a sit-up type bike so easy on your back long distance

I've had two when I started biking a few years back, somebody mentioned the Dragstar not being good long distance, would agree, had one, grand for half day trip, anything longer was a pain in the backside and back.

Might not be the sexy choice, but a Deauville should be at least considered.

Shaft drive
    Full faired for weather protection
    panniers
    220 mile tank range regardless how you ride it
    Honda reliability!
    More a sit-up type bike so easy on your back long distance

I've had two when I started biking a few years back, somebody mentioned the Dragstar not being good long distance, would agree, had one, grand for half day trip, anything longer was a pain in the backside and back.

We've four of these on our fleet, 20+ different riders on them, we can't break them.... great yokes if a little uninspiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

serious3 wrote: »
    We've four of these on our fleet, 20+ different riders on them, we can't break them.... great yokes if a little uninspiring.

What is your fleet? :)

rat_race wrote: »
    What is your fleet? :)

Bloodbikewest.ie....

Advertisement