Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VPN on a router for home use

Options
  • 13-12-2016 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi lads,
    It’s my first time on here in a while. I’m looking for some guidance with respect to vpn.
    I’ve looked through a lot of the providers, and this one seems decent. Have ye any experience of it? Is it worthwhile? Or any bad stories?
    I am looking to protect all my devices (laptop for torrents, nas, android box, iphones and ipad).
    I was chatting to the company and they were saying that only 3 devices can be connected to the vpn at any time (one major drawback).
    They suggested I could install the vpn on my router. Is it possible on the routers that the isp provides? Or would I have to buy a new one? I prefer to only have one router and then go for switches…things seem to get complicated for me (not really up to speed on tech stuff) when I have more than one router
    Any help or suggestions appreciated

Brendan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,018 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

this one seems decent

Did you forget the URL?
    only 3 devices can be connected to the vpn at any time

The router would count as one device regardless how many devices connected through it?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 brendanos

Johnboy, sorry yes I forgot the url!
    https://www.blackvpn.com/

Yeah the router would only be counted as one device which would be ideal really. I am just wondering if anyone has any experience of doing it...with the router provided by upc? Will I be able to do it...or do they not support this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

It's not supported.You need a router that supports dd-wrt, tomato or openwrt.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ttenneb

Is it permissible to discuss the use of a VPN in Ireland on Boards.ie or is it a banned topic?

Fire away. Just don't mention geo.....ing ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

ttenneb wrote: »
    Is it permissible to discuss the use of a VPN in Ireland on Boards.ie or is it a banned topic?
    degsie wrote: »
    Fire away. Just don't mention geo.....ing ;)

Oh FFS...I'm drunk now (what's new). Mod Hat on. Yes go ahead and discuss the technical up/downsides of VPNs.

What will not be allowed here is piracy of software/content (Game of Thrones, Westworld, Your Ma etc.)...technical discussion is cool with me.

rmacm wrote: »
    Oh FFS...I'm drunk now (what's new). Mod Hat on. Yes go ahead and discuss the technical up/downsides of VPNs.

What will not be allowed here is piracy of software/content (Game of Thrones, Westworld, Your Ma etc.)...technical discussion is cool with me.

So when I'm making comparisons between various providers and they display a list of countries, how do I choose which one? Do I select Ireland as that's where I live or choose a different one and if so for what reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

ttenneb wrote: »
    So when I'm making comparisons between various providers and they display a list of countries, how do I choose which one? Do I select Ireland as that's where I live or choose a different one and if so for what reason?

If in theory you wanted to see *ahem* the weather for America not Ireland when you open weather.com you'd use a VPN that has an American location.

Somewhere like Switzerland or Sweden would be high on my list as they are quite civilly liberal.

ED E wrote: »
    If in theory you wanted to see *ahem* the weather for America not Ireland when you open weather.com you'd use a VPN that has an American location.

Somewhere like Switzerland or Sweden would be high on my list as they are quite civilly liberal.

Regularly check the weather in Utah and Albuquerque. Occasionally need to check the time in Greenwich too. Very helpful info, thanks ED E.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Thought I'd ask on here, as I didn't get a response on the router-specific thread when I posted this, and this might be the more appropriate place...

I've the hg658c Vodafone router.

I'll be looking to set a smart tv to connect via VPN - I understand there are capabilities to adjust the DNS settings on the TV, but I don't think there's a way of logging in to a VPN service..

It's really only the tv and another android box I want to connect via VPN, and I don't think the hg658c has that kind (or any kind) of vpn set up..

My thinking was a router that I connect to the 658c, that has the TV and android box connected to it, and that router's settings configured for the VPN, with the rest of my devices just connecting to the 658c as usual, wirelessly or by ethernet

Is this even possible?

Thanks for any advice, and apologies for being so clueless..

• Advertisement

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Thought I'd ask on here, as I didn't get a response on the router-specific thread when I posted this, and this might be the more appropriate place...

I've the hg658c Vodafone router.

I'll be looking to set a smart tv to connect via VPN - I understand there are capabilities to adjust the DNS settings on the TV, but I don't think there's a way of logging in to a VPN service..

It's really only the tv and another android box I want to connect via VPN, and I don't think the hg658c has that kind (or any kind) of vpn set up..

My thinking was a router that I connect to the 658c, that has the TV and android box connected to it, and that router's settings configured for the VPN, with the rest of my devices just connecting to the 658c as usual, wirelessly or by ethernet

Is this even possible?

Thanks for any advice, and apologies for being so clueless..

If you can get a router that supports dd_wrt you can set it up as an OpenVPN On Dedicated Wireless Access Point (VAP) device.

Guide here....
    https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/OpenVPN_on_Dedicated_Wireless_Access_Point_(VAP)

^ Thanks, that sounds close to what I'm after - I assume it would be possible to have wired connections on the 2nd router too?

UsedToWait wrote: »
    ^ Thanks, that sounds close to what I'm after - I assume it would be possible to have wired connections on the 2nd router too?

Yes, assuming it has lan ports.

degsie wrote: »
    Yes, assuming it has lan ports.

Perfect, cheers - will investigate further so..

Advertisement