Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAS Setup

Options
  • 13-12-2016 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Basically im looking at setting up a storage system in our house as I am constantly mislaying SD cards and losing videos and photos from cool experiences.
    Ideally I am looking for a NAS system (I think) for storing short videos and photos from DSLR, GoPro and phones automatically. Ideally this would happen automatically as soon as I am connected to the home network with either my phone(and its SD card) as well as when I insert an SD card into my laptop.

Would a NAS in RAID 1 be suitable? I am not looking at much data storage and 1TB would last for quit some time. There are WD Single Bay 2tb clouds for what seems like a reasonable price but he reviews of such arent particulary positive.

Or does something like Google Drive make more sense?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Aye. I wouldn't bother with a NAS if 1TB is all your storage requirements (for now). Both Google Drive and OneDrive can automatically upload photo / video from your phone to your cloud account as soon as you're on wifi (anywhere in the world) or even on your data connection if you let them. I've no experience with GoPro in this regard, but I think they do have wifi sharing options.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

NAS = Single Point of Failure.

If your budget allows for NAS + Offsite service, do that. If not, just pay Dropbox/Google/MS/Amazon for a cloud service.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

The advantage of having a NAS is that if anything happens to your online storage you will always have a local copy.

But as always if you value your media then remember the 3-2-1 rule!

Advertisement